Author Topic: Meet Sophia...  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Meet Sophia...
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
I bought a new little mare this weekend, and she was delivered today,  she's a half-sister to the mare I lost last year.
 Meet Sophia, 12 year old, grey, 34-35" AMHR mare.
She was exposed to a stallion for 2 months, so I may be creating a mare watch thread for her too, but that can wait til she settles in at least.
I have one picture, will try to get more soon.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Meet Sophia...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! She looks so much like her half-sister!  I know you're excited, and you should be!! 

Did they give you any information on who she was exposed to, so we can see what you (and us) might be expecting next year?

Again, congratulations!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! She looks so much like her half-sister!  I know you're excited, and you should be!! 

Did they give you any information on who she was exposed to, so we can see what you (and us) might be expecting next year?

Again, congratulations!!

Thank you.   I've just let her settle in this afternoon, I'll see about doing something with her starting tomorrow.   She'll be in quarantine pen for a few weeks, then move in next to the mare pen to get to know the girls, then I'll try integrating her into the herd.
She's going to send me the stallion report information once she sends it in.   She couldn't remember his name, as she owns him jointly with her friend and he resides at the friend's house.   I believe she said he's a silver dapple pinto, but don't quote me on that.

Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:06:40 PM »
This mare's dam is a Roan Ranger daughter.  Her all the way bottom side grand dam is a Blue Boy daughter.   Her sire is Lucky C Farms Robby, a nice little palomino.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
Tonight I thought I'd try a treat with her, she doesn't like them.  She wouldn't take them from my hand, so I dropped one on the ground for her, she tried and made an icky face over it.   All my horses love these treats, they are apple cinnamon flavored in a flat apple shaped treat.   Breakfast may be interesting, since I have an extruded feed that looks like big rice krispies and smells like bubble gum (at least it does to me).    Not sure if I'll buy more treats to see if I can find one she likes, as it's easier to keep them all on the same treat.   I do have some Probios treats, so I can try those, and they'd be good for her.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:03:16 PM »
Congratulations Chanda , She is lovely , she has a beautiful face :)

You may have to find another kind of treat that she will like. I remember my TB arriving and he didn't like apples.

Hope she is settling in well and that she took to the stallion :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:18:11 PM »
She's been fed alfalfa pellets in the past.   I have alfalfa pellets and a Bermuda/alfalfa blend pellet, so have something to try that I have on hand.
She was not impressed with the extruded feed this morning, so I'll mix some alfalfa pellets in sooner rather than later and see if that gets her going on it.   I think, besides hay and pasture, she's only had alfalfa pellets and a bit of sweet feed (looked like COB).
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 12:16:25 AM »
She was exposed 5/10 to 7/1 2017, so there is potential for a March baby, depending on how long she carries, which could be a tad bit early for spring's arrival around here.   Should be ok, as I can use the calving barn if needed, it's warmer than the horse barn.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 01:20:10 AM »
Well thats exciting Chanda :)  I have my fingers crossed that she took during that time.

(Ryan rereads the dates after staring weirdly at them for a moment, then realizes its clearly the month/date.)  Here we do the opposite :)

With who she has been exposed too and me not being very good with colour predictions etc , any chance of that buckskin , your dreaming of ?

Offline Anna

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 04:29:55 AM »
What a lovely little mare Chanda.  :)  Hope she soon gets properly 'settled in' and that she proves to be in foal. Exciting times ahead!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 08:17:28 AM »
Well thats exciting Chanda :)  I have my fingers crossed that she took during that time.

(Ryan rereads the dates after staring weirdly at them for a moment, then realizes its clearly the month/date.)  Here we do the opposite :)

With who she has been exposed too and me not being very good with colour predictions etc , any chance of that buckskin , your dreaming of ?

She'd have to be palomino and carry agouti under her grey, which is possible with her pedigree.  (Bottom side are all red based and sire is red based, so palomino under the grey is the only way it would work).
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »
 ;pray

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
Congrats! Beautiful mare! Hopefully she's in foal for you.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 09:42:20 PM »
Congrats! Beautiful mare! Hopefully she's in foal for you.
Thank you.

She still doesn't like the extruded feed, I think I'll give up on it for now, and try her on the senior I have, it's a little sweet, so might be more to her liking.   
This morning I gave her some alfalfa pellets and some of the extruded, kind of put them in two piles in her pan; she grabbed the extruded first, so didn't even look back at the alfalfa pellets. 
Perhaps when she moves in with the other mares, she'll get a taste for the extruded.  In the morning, they all go in seperate stalls and get the majority of their daily ration of the extruded; then,  in the evening they share out of troughs in the paddock.  Perhaps when she sees the others eating it, she'll want her share.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
The senior feed meets with her approval, I gave her a small helping this morning, I'll work her up to a normal ration starting tomorrow.
My BILs cows got in our yard last night, and annihilated her bale of hay, there is just enough left to get her switched over to my hay.  [I had the seller bring a bale of their hay, so I could switch her over slowly; so much for that plan.]
Chanda
HC Minis