Author Topic: Hurricane Irma -- Pray for Florida...  (Read 2822 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Hurricane Irma -- Pray for Florida...
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:24:53 AM »
I'm asking for prayers for Florida and a special prayer for my children and grandchildren that live here, please.

"Irma" is wider than the whole state of Florida, and with no one knowing the path she will take, we KNOW that everyone in Florida will be affected in some way.  The last track had her coming up the middle of the state, which is not good for anyone.  IF she comes up the center of Florida, I'm in the path because the eye is so wide. If she goes east, there will be less damage for me and my family, as I live slightly west of center, and have my mother (87 with dementia/alzheimers) and my son Jon and his family in the same town. I will be taking my mother to Jon's house to weather the storm -- as his house is brand new (finished in Nov 2016) and is block with hurricane strength windows.  My mom lives in a double-wide manufactured home, and her last home was destroyed in the last hurricane,.  So, at least we'll be together.  My home is over 100 years old, and has weathered many hurricanes, so I'm praying it will stand this time too with no damage. I live on the main street in town in a big corner lot (almost 1/2 acre) with nothing close around the home -- only 3 trees around the perimeter -- so hopefully nothing can actually hit the house.

My other 2 sons, Tommy & Ben and their families live on the west coast (about 50 road miles away) -- Tommy directly on the water on a canal, and Ben about 10+ miles inland.  So Ben and his family are going to Tommy's house on the water, since Tommy's home is 2 stories of solid poured concrete walls and floors and sits high off the water with their main living floor really the second floor of the home (built like a skyscraper of poured concrete) and they'll weather the storm there.  Even if the water rose 15 feet it wouldn't touch his home the way its built high up above the canal water line.  He is pulling his boat from the water today for safety's sake.

So, it doesn't look good at this point.  But, I've done this before.  They say Irma will be a category 4 storm when she reaches my area if she comes up the center of the state, and I weathered Hurricane Charley who also hit me as a category 4 storm in 2004 and the eye came right through my town (and right down my road when I lived out on my farm property).

Unfortunately, there is another Hurricane right behind Irma (5 days behind) that will hit Florida again they predict, but no idea of the track of that storm yet.  When Charley hit us - with the eye coming straight down our road, there was another hurricane that came right behind and hit us again about 10 days later.  I'm praying for no repeat of back-to-back hits.

So, praying hard Irma makes a turn east as originally thought, although I don't wish damage and danger on anyone.  But I'm not as young as I used to be, and I'd prefer not to have this happen again.  I remember the war-zone Charley left behind, with all the flooding (our flooded property was about thigh deep on land that never flooded before), and all the FEMA and others that came to town to help us, thank God.  It was a mess for many and so many homes destroyed and people displaced.  We made it through, but I'm not looking forward to a repeat.

Praying hard for my fellow Floridians, and hoping my family is not in the path of this one.   ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Hurricane Irma -- Pray for Florida...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
Prayers for you and your family, and all in the path of Irma.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »
Thanks Chanda.

Once it hits, I don't know if we'll have electric or internet, but I'll post here as soon as I can.  Right now they say we'll be hit Sunday morning, so I'm good until then!   ;D
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Anna

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
I've been thinking about you and your family since I heard that Irma was going to hit Florida, was so hoping she would turn back towards the sea.  I know someone who has family living on one of the ruined small islands that Irma "visited" - no news from them as yet. And someone else has family holidaying in Florida, but they say they will be safe where they are?????!
Sending you my love and will be praying for you and the family (and everyone else in Irma's path), do your best to stay safe and get back in touch as soon as you can - we will worry about you.  XX

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 08:35:06 PM »
Thank you my dear friend. I know your prayers are strong!

I have made arrangement with Chanda, that if I have no internet I will try and call her so she can post for me after the storm passes.  We hear they will be shutting down the electric grid until she's gone, so I know we'll be without power, but don't know for how long.

Until then, I'm here watching Snicka and all the updates!!

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
Dearest Diane--

I put you in our prayer book at the mission this morning.  We've been praying and putting finishing touches on battening down the hatches here in North Carolina. I'm sorry Irma is forecast to go right up your alley. They're still not sure if Jose will be coming here, or curving out to sea. And Katia is battering eastern Mexico now.  The Gulf of Mexico area is really taking a licking this year. 😥😥😥

I will continue to pray that you and your family remain safe and dry. God us all with the crazy weather that's hitting us this year.

P.S. since you posted while I was writing:. Woooww....they're shutting off the electric. 😶😶😶😶  Thank you Chanda, for supporting our friend. I'll just keep up the prayers.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:01:11 PM »
Thank you my dear friend. I know your prayers are strong!

I have made arrangement with Chanda, that if I have no internet I will try and call her so she can post for me after the storm passes.  We hear they will be shutting down the electric grid until she's gone, so I know we'll be without power, but don't know for how long.

Happy to help in any way I can.   Good to talk to you today, even if it was brief.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 09:11:50 PM »
Diane... You and your family are in my prayers.
I sure hope the storm goes east of Florida. We will continue to pray through the storm for your family's safety.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 08:17:30 AM »
Well my update isn't any better.  At least it will hit us in the daytime, which is so much better than so many others have dealt with.  When hurricane Charley hit us in 2004 it was daylight too, which somehow just is better than dealing with flying debris you can't see.

We are still in the path, as Irma has moved west, and we are getting rain in waves, but this is our rainy season, so nothing seems abnormal for the rain.  It's so hard to know that we will be torn apart in 24 hours or so...it is so beautiful here during the day, blue skies, clouds, VERY warm temperatures (too hot for me)...hard to believe.

I've got my mom situated at my son's house so I can start to buckle down my house today - typical things like removing outside furniture and taking down my porch swing -- don't want it crashing through my livingroom window.

So, I'll be on and off here several times today while I still have power and internet.

Thank you all for your prayers.  I am a STRONG BELIEVER in the POWER OF PRAYER, and look forward to the Lord bringing me and my family through this horrid experience once again.  Now it's trying to get my mind around what I need to remove from my house as far as important papers, etc.  I really hate this.   :(

Thank you again my friends.  I pray I won't be off this site for very long.  You are my daily heart-lift in so many ways.  If I could hug you all, I would.  You all mean so much to me, and having this site with all of you here means so much to me.  ;pray ;pray

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 09:22:38 PM »
Just a quick note to let you know that I pulled my gardening knee pads back out of the box.  I had trouble driving home this afternoon, because I was paying attention to praying and not to driving. Fortunately, God kept his hand of protection over me the couple of times that I made distracted decisions.

One of our volunteers has a sister coming up from Florida. He kept phone tabs with her, as she's coming north on Interstate 95. In the 4 hours were working, she travelled only 85 miles!! 😲😲😲😱😱😱

So I've added Psalm 31:23-24:. Love the LORD, all his saints! The LORD preserves the faithful, but the proud he pays back in full.  Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.

Be safe, and be reassured in spirit.  He has you in his hands, we have you in our hearts, and all will be well in His time.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
Bless you and thank you for keeping us in your prayers.  I'm not sure how much longer I can post, over 3 million here in Florida are without power.  We still have power at my son's house, but the eye is in Naples, which means it will pass over us in the next 3+ hours.  Winds have been gusting to 140+ mph.  Pretty steady rain.

We are bunkered in here at Jon's, and Tommy and Ben are bunkered in Tommy's house.  So, we're all prepared to ride this out.  Praying especially that my mom's double-wide makes it through, as it will be very hard on her if she can't get back to her routine.  Alzheimers is bad enough, but when you move them from their "element" it is really the beginning of their downfall.

So we are counting on the Lord saying in Philippians 4:6-8, " Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;  7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

We know He has this all in control, and we trust in His love for us.

The eye is moving at 12 miles per hour and picking up speed, and since I've been writing here, it has again been down-graded to a category 2 storm -- which is simply lovely!! Keep it coming, Jesus.

Power starting to flicker here, so having to sign off now, and hoping to be back as quickly as possible, but I'll call Chanda if we're without power or internet.

God Bless everyone going through this storm, and I pray for safety and protection for all.  Again, thank you for your prayers, and stay safe on the road.

Offline Anna

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
Keeping you in my thoughts Diane and hoping that the Lord is listening to all our prayers.   ;pray

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
Take care our wonderful friend. I have you and your family in my thoughts and prayers

Stay safe and take care

Ryan x

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »
It's just after 7PM here now, so not sure exactly when Diane posted, guessing like 4 hours ago, since the group is based on her time-zone (I think).
   I just got in from fencing all afternoon, no message on the machine.   Off to do chores, then I'll check again.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »
Diane just called.  No internet, but they have power at the moment.
The eye missed them, she is fine and so is her family.   Just wind and rain to deal with through at least tomorrow.

Keep praying for Cara, Lee County was hit hard.  Don't know when we'll be able to hear from her. 
Chanda
HC Minis