Author Topic: Tinkerbell's foaling thread  (Read 5690 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Tinkerbell's foaling thread
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2016, 05:44:37 AM »
I added some right to your thread, and now for some more of this handsome boy!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  He's so handsome, and momma sure loves him!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Renée

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2016, 06:13:17 AM »
Oh my, what a little darling!! SUPER CONGRATS  ;D

Offline Ellesan

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2016, 10:01:25 AM »
Thank you for posting those Diane!!!! Vet just called and said he's been nursing and sleeping and Tink has been a great mama. At first she did not like when he laid down, she kept pawing to get him back up but now she has relaxed and letting him sleep. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »
That's great news, and I bet you can hardly wait to get them home!!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ellesan

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2016, 02:14:19 PM »
That's great news, and I bet you can hardly wait to get them home!!!!

Yes and no...my barn is super busy and I want to protect them. I think I am going to put a lock on the door to prevent people from going in. I will give the barn manager a key if there is an emergency. What do you all think? Have any of you had to handle this at a large barn where everyone will want to see/touch the foal?

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2016, 09:09:43 PM »
yay, yay, he's arrived!!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:20 PM »
Sorry I'm not much help with this one.  I've always had my own barn on my own property, and haven't had to board before.  But I think it's a good idea to have them secured for a while, so nothing can happen to the delightful little one!  Keeping him safe in these early days is very important, and will keep momma's stress level down -- which is very important for her milk production and overall well being!

Good choice!

Offline Ellesan

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2016, 12:02:19 PM »
Thanks so much!! He actually needed a plasma transfusion since his IgG levels never went over 400, but he got that last night and his levels are great today so I will be bringing them home!! I'm off to go get the stall ready! I'll be posting all other updates on the new thread. Thanks again for all of the help, advice, knowledge and support guys, especially Diane! 👏😊👍🐴❤️🎉

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2016, 12:51:10 PM »
You might try putting up a sign on her stall to the effect of "sshhh!  Mom and baby bonding, do not disturb".   Hopefully, you have adults in your barn, or perhaps I should say mature people; I was boarding my AQHA mare when she was pregnant with her first foal, she went nearly a year, there was a barn know-it-all that didn't think she should lay down to rest as much as she did, so took it upon herself to go in her pen and get her up whenever she was down.    I changed boarding facilities not long after the foaling, as this one didn't really have facilities for a foal, it was mostly a mixed pasture situation with a couple paddocks (I only had access to a paddock short term, as renter had her horse out for training and would have been back fairly soon).  The new facility worked great, as there were only a few boarders and the owner raised quarter horses, so my mare and baby were pretty much left alone.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »
Thanks so much!! He actually needed a plasma transfusion since his IgG levels never went over 400, but he got that last night and his levels are great today so I will be bringing them home!! I'm off to go get the stall ready! I'll be posting all other updates on the new thread. Thanks again for all of the help, advice, knowledge and support guys, especially Diane! 👏😊👍🐴❤️🎉

YOU and Tinkerbell are what this new forum is ALL ABOUT!!  Getting these precious little ones safely on the ground is the MOST IMPORTANT thing for all of us!!  We are very proud of all the work and care you gave Tinkerbell, and we Soooo look forward to watching this little one grow up!!

Thank you so much for your kind words! They mean the world to me!   ;)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2016, 05:06:54 PM »
So glad all is well!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Renée

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2016, 04:25:06 AM »
Yes I agree Diane, you are a great owner and an inspiration to any newbies coming here for help. This is what breeding is all about, enjoying the fun yet taking responsibility for your mare and baby.
I would try and give them some quiet and alone time to bond so yes, I would lock them away for a few days. Just make sure there is a key nearby in case there is an emergency and they need to be moved in a hurry.

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 08:58:31 AM »
Well, especially since is IGg levels were low, I'd recommend that others not handle him much, if at all.  Especially if you aren't there.  I had to think about this long and hard - I know that I've had foals I wanted EVERYONE to leave alone - due to the foal/mare having a rough time at birth OR due to the mare being a first timer and not knowing if she'd be OK with anyone entering her stall/pen OR due to knowing the mare was bad about having her foal handled and not wanting others to get hurt and possibly have a law suit on my hands...

Really driven home by Chanda's statement.  I can't even imagine someone doing that!  But that's like boarders constantly giving your ponies/minis treats - even when there are notes posted to not do so (could be diet, could be biting - and doesn't matter - no one should be feeding horse/ponies that aren't theirs UNLESS they ask). 

I'm very glad that you are going to be moving them home.  Besides - then you'll have all the fun!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC