Author Topic: Lou-Lou  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Lou-Lou
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:59:06 AM »
Hi!

I bought Lou Lou almost 5 months ago, shes Willows daughter that used to live here owned by friends.

I don't think shes pregnant but when she lived here 3 years ago she foaled a colt, Clancy. Then they were both moved off our property not long after and I don't think Clancy was ever weaned off her. He was still with her when I went to pick her up. Clancy wasn't gelded and could have bred her, but she doesn't really look pregnant (in my eyes, I could be wrong).

She has swollen nipples, and has since I got her. But there has never been any heat or pain in them so I didn't think much of it. Today I was curious and clear stuff came out of her udder... Could this have anything to do with Clancy not being weaned? 

I don't know why she has it. Should I try 'milk' it out or leave it? Could she be pregnant, if so, is it ok for her to have been bred by her son? I've read that it's ok, but some are against it.

Any Opinions?
Thanks in advance!

Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Lou-Lou
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:04:39 AM »
First, she certainly could be bred by her son, so we'll have to watch her to see how she is moving forward.  Breeding mother to son, or father to daughter is done by some breeding farms to "cement" some trait they like into the line.  I'm not a fan, but she should be fine, as well as the foal, if it materializes. 

Did you also get Clancy?  I know if you did, you separated them, which is what should have been done, for sure. 

She's a pretty girl!  That Willow has produced some beautiful babies!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:09:52 AM »
To answer the other question, no don't milk out the clear fluid.  If she is pregnant, you don't want to disturb what she has going on; if she isn't, it's better she dry up without help.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
My horses really need to stop surprising me with pregnancies! Or more like possible pregnancies that have me on the edge of my seat lol!

I don't really like the idea either, but as long as it wont harm her or possible foal.
I didn't get Clancy, I couldn't have another stallion here and risk Willow getting pregnant again.
I wont milk it out, I'll sit and wait anxiously lol. I'll update if I notice anything new.  :)

Lou Lou had horrible feet that hadn't been trimmed in 3 years, then when she was ready to be sold she had her feet cut by someone without experience and he cut them right back, she was so sore-footed after. Clancy's feet had the same treatment, I felt bad leaving him, but they set a very fine dollar for them both and paying what we did for Lou Lou in her condition was a scam. It was so beautiful when she saw Willow again and it was all worth it. The farrier has been so good with her too. 

Anyway.. I think Lou Lou is happy now.  ;D
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »
Sounds like it was a wonderful thing that you were able to get her back, and take care of her.  Sounds like she didn't have a very good life where she was~!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »
Sounds like its a good thing she "came home " :)

Agree with not trying to express anything from her .

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
So glad she's home and I agree with what others have said. Given also it's quite normal for mares to have clear fluid in there. Usually harmless!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »
Shes lovely! Im glad shes been seperated from clancy though. Her nipples look like they have been used as a pacifier basically...so i suspect he was still suckling her for comfort every now and then, but she was not actually giving him any milk. If that is true then he would be less likely to cover her as he still thinks of her as "mum" but its still entirely possible. The fact he is 3 and shes not had a foal to him yet though might be a good sign.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:21:58 PM »
That's a good thought.  Let's hope!

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
Good morning Carly Rae!  Hope all is well with you and your mom (though we don't want dear dad to feel left out, so send our regards to him too.)

How is Lou-Lou coming along?  Has there been any progression or is she about the same?  Is she still smiling about being back with her friend Willow?  How are they getting on together?  We always enjoy your photos, do you have any to share?
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!