Author Topic: Arrrggghhhh!!!!! - dog topic...  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
Re: Arrrggghhhh!!!!! - dog topic...
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 10:36:41 PM »
I've been saying my prayers, that Rough will begin to heal. I  also pray that his energy will remain calm.

He's a partner in your operation as well as your lives. To lose him would be quite a blow. As a worker, he doesn't understand the forced rest. Hopefully, the sedatives will accomplish what you can't explain to him.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 10:48:52 PM »
We had a touch of rain today, so Rough's cast needs a raincoat (bread sack and a rubber band).   ;)
Shayne walked him over to the semi and back, a couple hundred feet probably; but definitely further than a couple trips around the house.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 01:08:00 AM »
thats the same raincoat I used for Laila, worked well :)

Good to hear he is "out and about"

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 05:56:15 AM »
Still praying hard for him  ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 09:19:34 AM »
It's not off, but didn't make a week and he's chewing on it.  Stinker.  Going to have to try a few products to discourage chewing; I have Irish spring soap and an icky wound spray on hand, will probably need to find more.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 12:32:09 PM »
Perhaps if you wrap it in chicken wire?  Then he couldn't get through the wire, I would hope?  Just a thought that just came to me, since I was doing a little outside "gardening" -- not real gardening, just pulling weeds.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 02:16:24 PM »
Perhaps if you wrap it in chicken wire?  Then he couldn't get through the wire, I would hope?  Just a thought that just came to me, since I was doing a little outside "gardening" -- not real gardening, just pulling weeds.

Might discourage him chewing, but not sure how we'd do that where the area is at.  We put him back in the cone of shame, much to his displeasure.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 08:03:35 PM »
We rewrapped his leg and still put him back in the cone of shame.  I did buy some distraction toys for him, but need some peanut butter for the Kong toy, or the treats just fall out of it, and he's bored again very quick.   I need a few more stuffies for the Kong and maybe he'll be able to be out of the cone for longer periods.  I don't know how we'll survive another 3 weeks and Hope it's healed this time or at least has a good callous going.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
 ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
I wish I had more tips to offer.  The only idea I had was putting him in one of those sling roller thingies like they do crippled dogs (though I've only seen them used for hindquarters.)  He could roll all around the farm that way, without ruining his leg.  Like Diane, I'm doing the prayers too.

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »
I wish I had more tips to offer.  The only idea I had was putting him in one of those sling roller thingies like they do crippled dogs (though I've only seen them used for hindquarters.)  He could roll all around the farm that way, without ruining his leg.  Like Diane, I'm doing the prayers too.
It is his back leg, right below the hock; he broke across the growth plate area. He's 2-3 years old, now, so should be done growing at least.
I did find doggy splints and wrap braces on-line, so might look into those for after the cast splint comes off.
Chanda
HC Minis

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »
Just checking in to see how Rough is doing.  Have you found a way to keep him occupied, and not chewing his leg?  Is he still in the cone?  When I got Drake neutered, I couldn't keep him in his cone. He kept smashing into everything, and couldn't eat or drink without it being a big drama--and mess.  He was good though, and didn't pick at his stitches.  Poor Rough!  I'm sure he hates his cast with a passion!!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 11:56:15 PM »
The chew toys and treat toys are not enough of a distraction to keep him from picking at his cast, so he's basically living in his cone of shame, which is about destroyed from running into stuff.  [We have a nearly new cone of shame from another dog's vet visit from several years ago, so have a back-up.]   He's not food motivated enough for treat balls or treat filled Kong toy to occupy him.   I filled the Kong the other day with tasty dog food and treats and blocked the fill hole with a little peanut butter, it dropped it on the floor and looked at me like I was trying to poison him, he'd only lick at it if I held it, so that didn't work.  [However, my dog, Brie, thought the treat filled Kong was the best thing since sliced bread.]
Not sure if we'll have to change his splint again this week or not; had to last week, it was gross (found out he'd peed on it when I was removing the old splint), and it stunk to high heaven. 
Just keep praying, that closer supervision, calcium pills and more rest is getting the job done, so he can get out of the cast when this 4 weeks is up (we are almost two weeks into this stretch).  [Even if we have to continue to keep him kenneled, if he can be out of his splint, it'll help a lot.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 11:25:12 AM »
 ;pray

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
Need to call the vet about more sedatives tomorrow, she only sent us home with 2 weeks worth, when she told us he'd be in the splint for 4 weeks.   Going to ask about using Benadryl, it's OTC, and usually makes dogs sleepy, so it might work.  Not sure if it has side effects that would be worse than the sedatives he's on now.   
It'll be a blessing when he's out of the splint, even if we have to continue to keep him quiet, if he doesn't have to wear the cone of shame, it'll help.
Chanda
HC Minis