Author Topic: Arrrggghhhh!!!!! - dog topic...  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Arrrggghhhh!!!!! - dog topic...
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:29 PM »
 7 weeks ago, Shayne's stock dog, Rough, broke his leg; so we took him to the vet on Sunday at 7am, so emergency vet after hours call.   Vet x-rayed, set, and cast his leg.  He was given antibiotics for 10 days for infections as there was a cut on his leg; and sent home with sedatives and pain relievers.  He's hardly needed the pain relievers.  Used a few sedatives the first couple weeks, then he was fine, then the last week before his check-up he needed more sedatives as he was getting wound up.  At his 6 week check-up, only half the break was healed, and part of it had slipped out of place, so wasn't healing as it should (vet figured it slipped in the cast after the swelling came down during the first week); so he was cast again last Tuesday at that appointment.  Now, it looks like his cast has slipped down; I can't feel his toes through the hole in the bottom of the cast, they are a good inch probably from the bottom of the cast.  Don't need another emergency call fee, so gave him a sedative today and will call the vet first thing in the morning.   He's a Heeler; so he's a high energy, tough stock dog, but this is getting difficult.   oh, and we added calcium supplement this round to see if it would help him heal better.   
Just had to vent a little, wish us luck with the next vet visit, cause if it doesn't go well, we may have to put him down; it's not really in the budget for another round of expensive vet work.  Vet didn't know if it would heal or not at this point, since it didn't in the first 6 weeks, but that slip caused a bigger gap to fill in with callous. 
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Re: Arrrggghhhh!!!!! - dog topic...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
Sounds like a rough situation :( (forgive the pun, just realised that is his name!!) i hope its healing a little better than expected. These type of proper working dogs wont survive with 3 legs and still work and dont make good couch dogs, so i have no problem with your end game methods. You have to think whats best for the actual animal not think all mushy about it. 

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »
Not sure what our next move is, it's up to Shayne.
Rough got his cast off this afternoon; it slid the rest of the way off, or rather he probably pulled it off the rest of the way.   I did call the vet, and talked to her, she said if possible slide the cast back on, but if not, to keep him in his kennel and quiet and bring him in first thing in the morning.   Even if we could get the cast back on, I don't know that he'll leave it alone til morning, anyway.   Darn dog. 
Wish the vet would have left the ratty first cast on, it was staying in place, even if very dirty.   :o
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:59:36 PM »
Oh I know how your feeling Chanda.

Poor rough , hope hes on the mend. When my boxer broke her leg , it was all after hours costs and then emergency surgery. I had to hold off on ordering the Kitchen.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 08:06:28 PM »
Oh I know how your feeling Chanda.

Poor rough , hope hes on the mend. When my boxer broke her leg , it was all after hours costs and then emergency surgery. I had to hold off on ordering the Kitchen.

Rough broke his leg before 7am on Sunday, 7 weeks ago.  We were in town, saw the vet, cast the dog and home by 10:30am.  Vet is 60 miles away.  It was a whirlwind, after hours, emergency fees day, and then he didn't heal in 6 weeks, so we had to go again, this time his cast didn't make a week.    >:( :o
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:46:08 AM »
Sure hope all turns out well for y'all.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 05:56:59 AM »
Hope the vet can do something to save poor Rough.  Keep us posted!    ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »
I wish Rough would behave and help save himself, but being a high-energy stock dog, keeping him cooped up, even with sedatives, isn't easy.  vet sent us home with some ACE, he didn't really need it til the last couple weeks, and now it seems he needs every bit the vet allows to keep him calm enough to allow it to heal.
I went to bed early last night, so I could get plenty of sleep to be up early and head off to town first thing this morning.   I didn't sleep worth a darn last night, so I'm dog tired this morning.   Will check a couple things on the computer, eat breakfast, then head out to feed horses and barn cats, so I can take off for town pretty early.  [Won't get there when they open at 8AM, but it shouldn't be too long after that.]

Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
We got the vet to put him in a splint, so if he manages to get it off again, we can rewrap and hopefully save a trip to the vet. She also sent him home with more sedatives, and directions for a stronger dose, should he need it (he's pretty crocked right now from the vet's sedation, so quiet for the moment), and a couple rolls of Elasticon sticky bandage.

If you guys have more ideas for "no chew" products, fire away.   I don't have it on hand, but know about bitter apple, which doesn't always work.   I have Irish Spring soap, which was recommended at one time to stop horses from chewing on boards.  Tobasco has been recommended, we don't have any, besides he'd probably like it.    And, I have Schreiner's Herbal Wound spray, which I'm pretty sure tastes nasty, it's alcohol based, and I sprayed it on a wound on a barn cat, and she made the most awful face when she licked herself after, so it might work.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Anna

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
Poor fella, hope things soon improve for him - and you. x

Offline Ryan

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 06:16:42 PM »
When Laila broke her leg I had to use the sedatives to keep her calm. Being a boxer she was trying to bounce off the walls and it was a mission in itself trying to keep her calm let alone the leg to heal.

I had a little trouble in the beginning and ended up asking for stronger sedatives, which did the trick. I had one of those Elizabethan collars on for a week and that really helped. By the time I took the collar off she had stopped trying to get at the cast.

Maybe you could get something from the feed store that he can chew ( toy or long lasting bone chew). Just thinking of something along the lines of distracting him from the leg.

Hope a good nights sleeps is headed your way tonight. Ive been awake siince 2:30am so roll on 5pm :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
Just sending prayers.  No brilliant ideas!   ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray and a few extra for good measure  ;pray ;pray ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
Rough didn't touch his first cast, but that second cast he was annoyed by it from the beginning.  We'll see how he does with this splint.  The vet did go with stronger sedative this time.  He's doing ok tonight, but we have four weeks to get through.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 08:27:09 PM »
Just checking in to see how the patient is doing ? :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »
Not too bad.  Lightly sedated to be safe, he's had his 2-3 constitutionals, and I just ordered a couple dental chews and busy toys to keep him occupied.   After I feed horses, it'll be time to take him for another walk before we're in for the night.
Chanda
HC Minis