Message Boards > General Discussion

Arrrggghhhh!!!!! - dog topic...

(1/10) > >>

Chanda:
 7 weeks ago, Shayne's stock dog, Rough, broke his leg; so we took him to the vet on Sunday at 7am, so emergency vet after hours call.   Vet x-rayed, set, and cast his leg.  He was given antibiotics for 10 days for infections as there was a cut on his leg; and sent home with sedatives and pain relievers.  He's hardly needed the pain relievers.  Used a few sedatives the first couple weeks, then he was fine, then the last week before his check-up he needed more sedatives as he was getting wound up.  At his 6 week check-up, only half the break was healed, and part of it had slipped out of place, so wasn't healing as it should (vet figured it slipped in the cast after the swelling came down during the first week); so he was cast again last Tuesday at that appointment.  Now, it looks like his cast has slipped down; I can't feel his toes through the hole in the bottom of the cast, they are a good inch probably from the bottom of the cast.  Don't need another emergency call fee, so gave him a sedative today and will call the vet first thing in the morning.   He's a Heeler; so he's a high energy, tough stock dog, but this is getting difficult.   oh, and we added calcium supplement this round to see if it would help him heal better.   
Just had to vent a little, wish us luck with the next vet visit, cause if it doesn't go well, we may have to put him down; it's not really in the budget for another round of expensive vet work.  Vet didn't know if it would heal or not at this point, since it didn't in the first 6 weeks, but that slip caused a bigger gap to fill in with callous. 

Rocklone:
Sounds like a rough situation :( (forgive the pun, just realised that is his name!!) i hope its healing a little better than expected. These type of proper working dogs wont survive with 3 legs and still work and dont make good couch dogs, so i have no problem with your end game methods. You have to think whats best for the actual animal not think all mushy about it. 

Chanda:
Not sure what our next move is, it's up to Shayne.
Rough got his cast off this afternoon; it slid the rest of the way off, or rather he probably pulled it off the rest of the way.   I did call the vet, and talked to her, she said if possible slide the cast back on, but if not, to keep him in his kennel and quiet and bring him in first thing in the morning.   Even if we could get the cast back on, I don't know that he'll leave it alone til morning, anyway.   Darn dog. 
Wish the vet would have left the ratty first cast on, it was staying in place, even if very dirty.   :o

Ryan:
Oh I know how your feeling Chanda.

Poor rough , hope hes on the mend. When my boxer broke her leg , it was all after hours costs and then emergency surgery. I had to hold off on ordering the Kitchen.

Chanda:

--- Quote from: Ryan on August 13, 2017, 07:59:36 PM ---Oh I know how your feeling Chanda.

Poor rough , hope hes on the mend. When my boxer broke her leg , it was all after hours costs and then emergency surgery. I had to hold off on ordering the Kitchen.

--- End quote ---

Rough broke his leg before 7am on Sunday, 7 weeks ago.  We were in town, saw the vet, cast the dog and home by 10:30am.  Vet is 60 miles away.  It was a whirlwind, after hours, emergency fees day, and then he didn't heal in 6 weeks, so we had to go again, this time his cast didn't make a week.    >:( :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version