Author Topic: Odd Rug.  (Read 899 times)

Offline Carly Rae

Odd Rug.
« on: July 16, 2017, 01:57:24 AM »
This may be a silly question, but I don't know much about rugs.  :)
So a friend gave me this rug for Kevin, on the rug it says its a 4'0 (just in marker pen, cant find an actual size), but I measured it and its actually a 3'3. Kevin has had a few growth spurts and grew out of his 3'0 rug.

So I thought a 3'3 would almost be perfect for him. It fits along his back fairly good. But everywhere else is massive! The chest hangs so low and the sides are almost on the ground. Maybe its just me but it seems odd, a horse to fit it would have to be tall and short in length with a big chest. Or just really fat.
Its no problem for me, I'll either just store it or try modify it. But does anyone think this rug is odd, or is it just better for horses of a different build, not minis.  :)

Photos below. First is it on Kevin, and the second one is comparing it to his old 3'0 rug.  :)
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Odd Rug.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »
I would think it is for a full sized horse, not a mini.   :D

Don't know much about rugs, as I've never used one, so it's a guess.   :-\
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:28:05 PM »
How are you measuring?
Blankets (rugs) are measured from the center of the chest, around the side to the middle (or edge) of tail.   [Dog blankets are measured down the back, so shorter measurement.]
This page from Dover Saddlery is great for showing how to measure the horse and how a blanket itself is measured.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/m/how-to-measure-for-a-horse-blanket/a/431/

The blanket looks more saddle horse or maybe large pony sized, than mini sized.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:20:18 PM »
Right! Thats where I'm going wrong, I was measuring down the back, from withers to bum.  :) Makes more sense now. It may be easier (and more comfortable for Kevin) just to buy a new one that fits rather than modifying  :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 06:53:38 PM »
Right! Thats where I'm going wrong, I was measuring down the back, from withers to bum.  :) Makes more sense now. It may be easier (and more comfortable for Kevin) just to buy a new one that fits rather than modifying  :)

Keep this one for a back up, the price was right; you can always modify it to make it work in a pinch as a back-up or extra.   Or, would it fit your new horse?
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »
The problem with Mini rugs here is they seem to made too long.

If you took it to a rug repair they may be able to take it up for you :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 05:08:21 AM »
I don't have Hot Shot anymore, a few complications. But he was a 6'3 in rugs  :)
And Sweetie, my new mini fits Kevin's old 3'0, which worked out great  :) May look into getting it taken up, or I'll do it myself by hand. I just wanted to keep the rain off him, we've been getting a lot lately.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:39:46 PM »
See if theres any local FB pages selling mini rugs , theres one local to me and a lady was selling some 2nd hand ones for $5 each the other day. They were snapped up very quickly :)

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 01:55:44 AM »
Wow $5 !
I'm on 3 FB sale pages, and Gumtree, but most are large rugs or expensive. So many people ask so much money for old second hand rugs! I guess it's just a matter of waiting till one pops up. :)