Author Topic: is my mare pregnant?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: is my mare pregnant?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
If you've helped other livestock give birth, you have a leg up on some with horses; but just remember they are more delicate than other livestock and pulling should be in rhythm with her contractions and don't pull as forcefully as you would with a calf.  Also pull down toward the hock in an arc, not straight out.  [This info for is only for if you should need to intervene, most mares can do it on their own, unless there is a problem that needs straightening out.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline minister man

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »
I haven't got the pictures because I have been getting the stall ready.  It's isn't  huge but it the space I have and better than a tie stall.  It is 6X8 straw over stall mat over earth, feed box and water bowl up high enough the foal can't fall in them..... the whole front opens, incase I have to remove a down mare.  NOW, maybe I can get to the pictures. lol

Offline minister man

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »
It may mean nothing, but she is very restless.  She is eating along, and then turning her head around and looking at her flank, step back and forth from one hind foot to the other.  Not all the time  mind you, just every so often.......... Then she turns around in a circle, and puts her tail up and holds it up, and squirts some fluid..... it has some red in it and sometimes it might be liquid poop.  I tried to rub her rump, but she is kicking with both hind feet when I put my  hand on her rump...... That, she has never done before.  It might be the uncertainty of the new stall though.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 09:11:02 PM »
You've been busy!!  Good job!  Be careful about that back left corner, little ones can get caught in any open section, and it looks like there's a space there.  But this looks just fine!!  My birthing stalls were a bit "snug" being only about 8x8, and with that nice layer of straw over a mat, if you have to move her around if she's down, just grab a tail and pull her into the position you want.  Good job doing what needs to be done first!

Now, we'll look forward to the pictures.

The restlessness is fine, and looking at the flank is fine too.  She's probably a bit more uncomfortable than usual, and sometimes these little one lay on a nerve and really make them uncomfortable.  Then they start pushing their butts into stall walls, fence posts and anything else they can back up into to push that baby around.  Look for her to do some rolling also, as rolling is not colic, but rather moving baby into proper positioning!

We're very excited for you.  The change in personality is quite normal, so don't fret.  It just means she's moving ahead as expected. 

You've done a great job!  I'm looking forward to seeing more of her to help us help you know how close she's getting!  She's so pretty!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 10:47:26 AM »
Minister man... how is your little mare? Looking forward to updates!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
Yes, hoping for an update soon !!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline minister man

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
There hasn't been any change.  I am starting to accept that she is not bred.  Sometimes I look at her and think she is, but the reality is, that I have been so busy the last week or two that I haven't paid as much attention.   I guess she either is or she isn't, she has a box stall, straw, and in the turn out pen I added a trampoline frame.  The miniatures can get away from the big horses in side the frame like a creep.  I only put them all out together when I am home to watch........ I guess part of me is still hoping, peering into the box with held breath looking for the tiny beast.......... Standing on the steps of the house listening for that tiny knicker that would lite the joy of a foal owner............ but it may all be a dream....... there are really only about 3 more weeks that there could be foal, so we will soon know........ the excitement of birth or the disappointment of being wrong.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 03:52:52 PM »
Not to add to your stress, but they can and do go longer, upto around a year, a few go longer than that even.   I've heard of others waiting longer than usual for foals this year, so don't totally count her out, but try not to stress over it, and remember to Breathe.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »
HI Welcome. I have a mare who looks exactly like yours so excited to see what you get :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »
Thank you for the update!
I hope she gives you a sweet surprise.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline minister man

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 06:43:59 PM »
me too

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »
We are all hoping she gives you something special.

Can you take a few new pictures for us?  Standing behind her, and squatting down right at her level, and taking a picture looking toward her head, so the center of the picture is us looking at her tail!  LOL  That way we can see how her tummy looks.

And then another one, again right down at her level, a full side picture. 

Can't wait to see her!  She's so pretty!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 12:08:54 AM »
Any updates with your little mare ? :)