Author Topic: is my mare pregnant?  (Read 3066 times)

Offline minister man

is my mare pregnant?
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
Thanks for letting me come aboard.  I have a three year old filly.  I got her early in July of last year.  From March to when I got her she was in a pasture to two 18 month old colts and a 20 year old stallion, and several other mares and Geldings.  The mares in that herd have started foaling a few weeks ago, so I know that the males are fertile.

The herd owner assured me that a filly that young  (she was only two) would not breed.  I didn't some research and knew that she was wrong when I got the filly so I was hoping a foal was a possibility.  That may be clouding my judgement at this point. 

IF she is in foal, she would have to foal by early June, since I got her in Early July.  I have been checking her for udder off and on for a while now, but in the last few days it seems bigger.  It is not rounded out like  cereal bowl or anything, but her teats are longer, and hanging a couple of inches, where they were right up tight to her body.

When she is drinking cold water, I can see movement on her flank, between her ribs and hip....  Although today she seems a little sunk in there.   

I have only been feeding her top quality hay all winter, but have started feeding her two handfuls of 13% Sweet feed a couple of days a go.  She is outside in the day time, and in a tie stall at night.  When she is out she is out with two saddle horses and a mini gelding.  in a paddock not a pasture.

My big horses have 6x8 tie stalls, so I am thinking that I will build a gate for one of them and put her in it bedded down with staw, just in case.  I have another turn out place that I could turn out just the two minis, I am thinking that would be better?? the big horses might run over a foal........I got in some Iodine for the navel, straw for the stall, and a child's enema to have on hand just in case.  I have raised one foal before, and have delivered lots of calves, lambs, goats and piglets.

It is a lot of work to get ready for the arrival of something that I don't know if it is coming or not.  The filly has a smaller belly than the gelding..... I may be getting myself all excited just to be really disappointed, but if I don't get ready, and there is a foal and I lose it, would be a far greater disappointment.  If she is not in foal I can't do better at that, but if she is and I lose it because of lack of preparedness, I would have to live with it being my fault.  I am going to try to post a picture and video if it will let me.

Offline minister man

Re: is my mare pregnant?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »
I  will try the picture this way

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:26:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum . It is difficult to tell from the pictures you have posted. could you try to take a side view of her when she is squared up to you.  From the behind picture  my guess would be not pregnant, But many a maiden have been able to hide it very well.
I would do just as you are and prepare for a surprise foal, just in case...
If possible it would also be helpful to post pictures of her udder and update  with new pictures so we can see what changes are being made, to help determine better.
Best wishes!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:35:09 AM »
I started thinking I may have been unclear in what I was asking on side view picture... I am posting a picture of my maiden mare (gypsy Vanner x Arabian bred to a small welsh stallion) This is the side view I am looking for :)
My mare is also due in June, more towards the end of june.
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:58:30 AM »
WELCOME~!!!!

First, maiden mares are very had to judge, since they can hold their babies up high and tight.  Many times they don't even look pregnant, until voila!  A foal !

So you are doing the right things in moving forward as if she's pregnant.  I'd start her on a Mare/Foal feed, as this is when baby gains weight building muscle and bone during this last trimester!

For pictures try these:  squat right down at her level standing behind her, and taking the picture looking toward her head.  We are looking for any signs of a slightly lopsided belly.

Then, squat down again right at her level and take a full side picture.  We're looking for the placement -- or hiding place -- of the baby.

And udder pictures would be great, as they will give us something to have as "our" starting point!

I am really excited for you, and don't forget to read some of the pinned threads on preparing for the birth.

Can't wait to see the new pictures, and remember, WE'RE HERE TO HELP answer ANY questions you might have as we move forward.  We're all friends here, learning from each other and sharing our experiences.  So, feel free to ask questions, chat and share your other animals, etc.

Seeing movement is great, and the changes in her belly's appearance sound very promising.  I would agree that you need to be able to provide her a safe place for birthing and just a paddock for exercising.  Being outside and exercising is great for the little mommas!  Keeps them in good shape, and allows them some rolling room when they start repositioning baby.  You should also provide her with a place just she and baby can pasture away from the gelding and big horses, until baby is strong.  You're right, a baby can be run over with the big horses, so it's good you're being careful~~

GREAT having you here!!

~~Diane
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline minister man

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 04:09:51 PM »
When I put her in the barn this evening, her udder is definitely filled out some more than it was this morning.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »
That's fabulous news!!!  Hoping you can get us some new pictures so we'll have a good set to work from to give you the very best information we can!!

She's such a pretty girl!

~~Diane
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline minister man

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 04:49:46 PM »
Does the udder of a mare change with her heat cycle? I have never seen her in heat, but I was just wondering

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:01:10 PM »
Actually, I hope someone here knows the answer.  I never really looked at udders except when the girls were pregnant, in which case they can go up and down depending on activity, time of the day (night time with less movement tends to fill, and then go down once they are let out and move around during the day).

So, hoping someone else can share an answer with you!

~~Diane

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 07:13:49 PM »
Welcome to the "Nursery" Minister man :)

Im another that cant help you with you last question , though it is a great question and I too am very interested in the answer.

Reading your opening post i have to commend you for preparing yourself that she may well be in foal.

Highly recommend the pinned threads for you to read here , they are worth their weight in gold :)

Ask as many questions as you like and we love pictures, so post away.

best wishes :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 09:17:50 PM »
I can answer :)
 The answer is yes, some mare do change a little bit with their cycles,one wouldnt expect a lot of change. Though as young fillies mature, bred or not they can develop small *flaps* ( for lack of a better word). Mares not bred can even grow small udders when they gain weight. ( or what looks to be like udder development) And some mares even will develop a small handful of a full udder when first bred, leaving you guessing the entire time when they are actually due to foal! ( ask me how I know that!  A full 340 days later!)

I am really looking forward to more pictures!
live barn camera link:

Offline Ryan

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:16:52 PM »
Thanks Holly :)

Offline Anna

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 03:54:16 AM »
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Sorry, but I just typed one of my long epistles (everyone sighs here!!) and before I could type the final sentance my laptop gave a jump and whoops the whole thing disappeared!   ::)
Now I have to rush out to do the animals so hope to get back later.
Sorry most rude of me - forgot to say WELCOME, great to have you join us.  :)

Offline Renée

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 07:07:01 AM »
Hello and welcome first of all  ;D You have come to the right place as we are all here to help and share in your journey. I am very pleased to read how prepared you are, Kudos for that. I like the others are looking forward to more body pics and udder ones too. I like to take pics of udders from behind (simply lift her tail and squat down) mind you teeth though as she may not like her boobies going public. lol othere take them from underneath so try both and see which is easier for you.
I am glad to hear that you are starting her on hard food, careful with sweet feed though as I know others have said there can be problems. Try and see if you can get hold of a mare/foal feed as Diane mentioned.

Welcome to the Nut house  :-X

Offline minister man

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 09:37:18 AM »
well it has been raining for a few days, so I haven't had the chance to get any pictures taken.  Our teenage daughter has started taking the filly for a walk each day, I have sources "Broodmare and foal" ration, haven't got it yet as they have to get it from the mill, but at least it is available, and I have the sweet feed for now.  Her udder is bigger today, than it was two days ago.  With all the rain it has been hard to get her a box ready, cause I have had my big horses in more, but we are doing what we can.  I looked up the vet's phone number and wrote it on a big piece of paper by the phone........I printed the sticky about birthing...... Like I said I grew up on a farm so birthing is something I have done a lot of, just not on horses............... I hate waiting for things...............

I have learned one thing....... I was thinking of someday having a stallion and pasture breeding a few mini mares.   not going to happen.  Any breeding I do, will be hand breeding so I know when the foal is coming..... the only thing I hate worse than waiting is not knowing..... lol