Author Topic: $$$ HAY $$$  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
$$$ HAY $$$
« on: July 08, 2017, 02:51:59 AM »
Don't think this has come up before, but...  What do you pay for hay?  if priced by the bale, please include size of bale (#).  [I buy hay by the ton, you have to buy from a hay farmer around here, stores don't sell baled hay.]

We are in a drought so hay has gone up this year, 25-30%.   I'll share my prices, after I see yours.  ;)   

Edited to add:  my hay has been $120-130/ton the last few years, for about 70-75# square bales (so it comes to about $4.25-4.50/bale).    This year, due to drought, it jumped to $170/ton, so I think he said $5.75/bale.    I know this is probably less than some/many of you are paying, but it's more than I have ever paid in 30 years of horse ownership.   I'll buy what I can, as it's still cheaper than bagged feeds.

Even with the increase, the hay will still be cheaper than hay pellets, cubes or beet pulp, that I will still need to buy some of to stretch what hay there will be.   Cheapest I can get hay pellets, comes to about $400/ton (it's around $10/50# bag).  I would prefer hay pellets/cubes to increasing their hard feed, as hay pellets are generally lower in sugar/starch than commercial feeds and usually cheaper per bag as well.   [Hay pellets as low as $10/bag; commercial bagged feed is $18/bag and up.]   
As much as I hate soaking in winter, I may be feeding beet pulp again this winter; while you feed based on dry weight, once you soak, that puffed up beet pulp makes a satisfying meal for the horses.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Carly Rae

Re: $$$ HAY $$$
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:52:05 AM »
I buy Rhodes Grass hay for mine, its $8.80 per bale for a small square. When we used to get Lucerne, it was $10 a bale, and Oaten was $8.80. Or for a large round bale of oaten it was between $60 and $70 ea. :)
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »
Coastal and burmuda hays- $9-11 a bale
Alfalfa $ 20-25  a bale
bahaia $6-7 a bale
mix blended hay $6-9 a bale
Round bales $ 75-100
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline clara cain

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:11:45 AM »
Here in south Florida, a square  40-50#  bale of T and A is $14.50 at the feed store.  Delivery is $7.50 an order.  The hay is shipped in from Ontario , Canada every week.  We feed hay twice a day, even though we usually have grass all year long, even in the winter .  I only carry one to two weeks worth because the humidity will make it mold.   And yes, do u want to know how to make a small fortune???  Start with a large fortune and have horses.

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »
Here, the cost of hay depends on the quality. Rubbish hay (aka full of weeks and course, and loose baled) in small bales is about £2 the good bales can fetch about £4. The large bales are about £25-30. In dollars that is $2.60 - $5.15ish or $25-38

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »
Ive just changed suppliers for some of my hay due to what I was paying.

I was paying $18 a bale (small square) plain grass hay . I now pay $10 and that only if I take the float and buy in bulk.

Alfalfa/Luncerne $25-$28
Rye/Clover         $19

Big Rounds $140+

Our Prices annoy the *(&%$#%&^*  out of me , we had so much extra rain in spring and summer last year and most got 3rd and 4th cuts , yet we are still paying through the roof :)

Ill be on the hunt come summer so I can stock for winter 2018

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 02:45:41 AM »
Wow! Its crazy how much the price difference of hay is between Queensland and Victoria, Ryan! I didn't know it was that expensive there!
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »
Yeah it is crazy, I predominantly feed grass hay throughout the year and add Lucerne and a blend of Grass and Clover in winter.

How feed stores can charge nearly $20 for a bale of grass hay is beyond me.

One of the reasons I made the decision to hunt for grass hay in bulk was that the quality would go up and down all the time , but the price still remained the same.

One of the last orders I received I sent back as I wouldn't have lined a stable with it. It was terribly course and dusty and had obviously been stored for a few years.

Ive now fence off 1-2 acres and will have it slashed and baled this year :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:20:35 AM »
What about other Bagged Feeds Etc ? Whats everyone paying ?

Now just to make us realize how old we are , When you first got into horses , what were you paying back then ?

Bale of plain grass Hay $2
Lucerne Hay $5-$7
Oatn Chaff  $11
Lurcerne Chaff $13

Pony mix ( which is a pre made blend with no molasses )   $15

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 12:45:57 AM »
What about other Bagged Feeds Etc ? Whats everyone paying ?

Now just to make us realize how old we are , When you first got into horses , what were you paying back then ?

Bale of plain grass Hay $2
Lucerne Hay $5-$7
Oatn Chaff  $11
Lurcerne Chaff $13

Pony mix ( which is a pre made blend with no molasses )   $15
Do you really think I can remember that long ago?  And, I was in high school, so Dad helped me a bit with my feed and hay.
Well, actually, I can, as part of the deal with my dad to let me get a horse is that I had to keep records.  I only have my yearly summaries left, but...
1986 - hay $60/ton (no buying by the bale where I live)
           3-way - $7.25/50#
           COB w/ molasses - $4.50/50#
           gelding had to have surgery to remove severe proud flesh overgrowth on leg - $105
1987 - I had hay left over from the previous year evidently (I had purchased 4 ton), as there is no record
           whole oats - $4.90/50# (spring) - $5.50/50# (fall) - and jumped to $7.75/50# (winter)
           Complete feed - $4.70/50#
1988 - hay - $90/ton + $20 for delivery
           Omolene 100 - $8.50/50# (purina sweet feed with 10% or 12% protein)
           whole oats - $5.50/50# and $7.95/80#
           pure pride - $6.00/50# (pelleted fortified grain from purina, probably 10 or 12% protein)
1989 - took him to college and was working for part of my board paid $30/month summer and $55/month in winter for pasture board
           rolled oats and barley 50-50 mix - $5.00/50#
1990 - grass/alfalfa hay - $65-70/ton
           grain and pellets in the $5-6/50# range
           board $50/month, worked off half (I paid $50, so board was $100)
1997 - I had moved to Colorado - hay $130/ton for grass, alfalfa $3.50/bale
1998 - grass hay - $108/ton delivered
           board $150/month for self-care paddock
2001 - hay total for 3 for year - $542 (didn't write down per ton price)
          COB - $6.50/50#    sweet feed - $4.50/50#
After 2001 - I didn't list the break down for the different feeds per bag, just the yearly total.

Today: whole oats are like $12-15/50# bag
           The fortified feed I use is $15-$18/bag
            I don't use it, but last time I was at TSC Purina Omolene was like $18/bag

Sorry, I got a little nostalgic, and couldn't help myself when I was looking at those old records.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 01:13:06 AM »
That is great Chanda :)

Its crazy how "everything " in life has increased over the years !!

The Mixed bag I use these days is $32 , I use it to keep weight on my two biggies in winter.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 01:25:52 AM »
That is great Chanda :)

Its crazy how "everything " in life has increased over the years !!

The Mixed bag I use these days is $32 , I use it to keep weight on my two biggies in winter.
But, it also dated me; man I feel old.   :o
I loved the ration balancer I was on a few years ago, but when it hit $35/bag, my budget couldn't take it any more, even with the small amount per head fed, I was feeding nearly a dozen minis and a saddle horse, so needed 3 bag per month.   And, I can't seem to keep it simple in the feed room, so have alfalfa pellets in addition to their extruded feed that provides the vit/min lacking in their hay (some are getting senior, as they are doing well on it and it's easier to get than the extruded).  [Also have a bermuda/alfalfa pellet that goes in the young stallion's treat ball, it's his breakfast and keeps him busy a little while.]    This year with the drought and hay shortage, will probably have to add beet pulp to the feed room.  I did pick up a couple bags of hay cubes, which I usually hate, but thought if I end up soaking beet pulp, I can throw a few hay cubes in the mix too to help stretch this year's hay.    Will probably buy a complete pellet for the saddle horses, if they need more than the hay provides (they'll probably still just get a bale tossed in their feeder, but this year's hay is going to be dry and late season, so not prime by any stretch of the imagination)
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 06:02:44 AM »
You have a better memory than I do, Chanda!  Fabulous information.

I was 5 when I got my first horse, and certainly don't remember that many decades ago!   :D
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:49 AM »
You have a better memory than I do, Chanda!  Fabulous information.

I was 5 when I got my first horse, and certainly don't remember that many decades ago!   :D
Wish my memory was that good, but like I said, my dad had me keep records.   Fun to look back.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline clara cain

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
I was telling one of my high school kids that when I was little a pepsi was a dime and a hamburger was a quarter, but 60 cents was an hours pay.  gas was 25 cents a gallon or less if there was a gas war.