Author Topic: $$$ HAY $$$  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Re: $$$ HAY $$$
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
We had a drought here this year for the first time in my life. We went 8 weeks with no rain and 30degree temps most days. Was great for weight loss!! I got 100 bales of hay that i hope will do - not the best quality but it is something to eat. The rain then came and wheeeew my grass has shot up something fierce. My bottom paddock was split and the untouched part is near knee high now, and the penned off bit is still green despite horses on it (its tiny...like really tiny!!) the top paddock is less grassy but i plan to split it too cause the girls are fat as fools and we still have a good month of growing i think (and again they are FAT)

during the drought i literally had dirt fields. one week fo grass changed it all. crazy.

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 08:19:10 PM »
that being said, im still putting out hay for Elvis and louis, because Elvis won't eat the short grass - or at least will only do it very reluctantly. He will stand at the gate for hours not eating in protest...which means louis will too cause he is a follower. When i had thriller he would eat the dirt if thats all the had and lou would too...so its good for Elvis cause hes fat and needs to loose a few lbs but Louis doesnt so he needs fed. Hard work lol

Offline Ryan

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 08:43:48 PM »
Thats crazy hot for you Hayley isn't it ? I really hope our country gets some rain, there are parts in severe drought that havent had rain in years...................

Offline Ryan

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »
Think my hay is on the way :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 12:23:03 AM »
Im booting this old thread up as things have got considerably worse here over the last 12 months :(

I can barely source hay without paying crazy prices for something  that looks like it was baled in the early 1980s.

I know Ive mentioned the drought before and whilst we are getting rain where I am, many parts of the country where our hay is produced, just isn't and has not for years .

I purchased my "Winter supply" back in Jan, 120 Bales( I could not be happier with the meadow hay I have been getting for the last few years). Due to NO RAIN in Autumn here, there was no growth in my paddocks at all, so hence most of my winter supply is dwindling very quickly.

I am  trying to source some round bales to take the pressure off but the cheapest I can find ( thats been undercover since baled) is around $200.00. They are already predicting it to double again next year. 

I am at the stage now, I know I have to reduce numbers, How does one decide who to move on first ??  :( :( :(

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 07:02:56 AM »
I wish I could share some of the Florida rain with you.  We're in our rainy season with torrential rains every day -- not long, but wet enough.

Hay is always so expensive.  I hope you can find another source you like.

I don't relish having to make your decisions on who to move first.  Wish there were easy answers, but I never found any.   
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 06:12:44 PM »
Some say "last in, first out".
Perhaps one you don't get along with as well as the others.    One that would most easily sell.   Harsh as it sounds, if you have an old pensioner, consider the last kind act and euthanize.

Seems we are still in drought conditions during growing season, even though we had decent moisture over the winter, it's long gone now; but still no where near the drought OZ is experiencing.    Your bagged feed costs have always been higher than mine, even accounting for exchange.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 07:26:06 PM »
Yeah its not going to be an easy decision to make. For some reason I do so well at accumulating horses, moving them on , not so well.

I had a feeling last year feed prices and lack of good quality feed, would be an issue here this year. I also did two stupid things. I booked another holiday back to America ( Probably should have waited a couple of years before returning, but as I had such an amazing time and being my 40th in Sept, I just booked anyway) The other thing was I took on an agistee. At one stage he had 8 horses at home , but I had to tell him to move 7 of them on, as I had no feed in my paddocks. The one mare he still has at home is Heavily pregnant, so the first foal at my property, since we brought it, will be born this year.

At least Ill have some time to think about whos moving on. whilst im away. 

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 09:22:58 PM »
Yeah its not going to be an easy decision to make. For some reason I do so well at accumulating horses, moving them on , not so well. 

Me, too.  Much better at accumulating more horses, than ever rehoming anything.  And, I even had an inquiry this past week.  I only have two that could be for sale, and since the guy was looking for a pet, and was a state and a half away, it wasn't practical to sell to him; but I did give him the name of a friend that is only a couple hours from him, and she in turn gave him two names that might have pet minis available.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Anna

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2019, 03:12:22 AM »
Oh dear Ryan I don't envy your position. Also heard that poor Aussieland has been having some serious weather problems this year, but the price for your round hay bales - WOW!! Unbelievable! I do so hope that you can get something sorted.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2019, 04:33:22 AM »
Ryan, how big are your round bales?
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2019, 09:16:39 PM »
I have no idea to be honest. Ive never really been a massive fan of them for horses, only due to the mess they make around them.

I was watching a weekly report on the Tv and they are predicting next year will be worse :(

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 08:26:27 AM »
The one mare he still has at home is Heavily pregnant, so the first foal at my property, since we brought it, will be born this year.

You'll have to share that upcoming baby with us!!  You know how we love to watch these mares and their new little ones!

I used round bales here for several years as a supplement to their alfalfa bales, because I had all dry lot pastures.  For me, although they are a bit messy, it just kept them chewing all day and they were very happy.   
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2019, 12:10:56 AM »
I will grab some pics tonight. As if I would mention "heavily pregnant mare" and not supply pics to my friends hahahahaha

I really did try this year in regards to feed and making sure I had stock to get me through winter. I think I will have to buy another shipping container so I can stock some rounds

Offline Ryan

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »
Not related to hay at all , but do have one mare at home that is due to foal in around 10 weeks :)

Her bay friend will leave in the next couple of weeks to foal elsewhere. The grey mare is  owned by a friend that is currently agisiting at home. By the time I get home she should be just  starting an udder.

This will be her 8th foal. Shes a lovely sweet old mare  :)