The Castle Rock MARE-TERNITY WARD

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: $$$ HAY $$$  (Read 273 times)

Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
$$$ HAY $$$
« on: July 08, 2017, 02:51:59 AM »

Don't think this has come up before, but...  What do you pay for hay?  if priced by the bale, please include size of bale (#).  [I buy hay by the ton, you have to buy from a hay farmer around here, stores don't sell baled hay.]

We are in a drought so hay has gone up this year, 25-30%.   I'll share my prices, after I see yours.  ;)   

Edited to add:  my hay has been $120-130/ton the last few years, for about 70-75# square bales (so it comes to about $4.25-4.50/bale).    This year, due to drought, it jumped to $170/ton, so I think he said $5.75/bale.    I know this is probably less than some/many of you are paying, but it's more than I have ever paid in 30 years of horse ownership.   I'll buy what I can, as it's still cheaper than bagged feeds.

Even with the increase, the hay will still be cheaper than hay pellets, cubes or beet pulp, that I will still need to buy some of to stretch what hay there will be.   Cheapest I can get hay pellets, comes to about $400/ton (it's around $10/50# bag).  I would prefer hay pellets/cubes to increasing their hard feed, as hay pellets are generally lower in sugar/starch than commercial feeds and usually cheaper per bag as well.   [Hay pellets as low as $10/bag; commercial bagged feed is $18/bag and up.]   
As much as I hate soaking in winter, I may be feeding beet pulp again this winter; while you feed based on dry weight, once you soak, that puffed up beet pulp makes a satisfying meal for the horses.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Showy, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny
Donkey: Tilly

Carly Rae

Re: $$$ HAY $$$
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:52:05 AM »

I buy Rhodes Grass hay for mine, its $8.80 per bale for a small square. When we used to get Lucerne, it was $10 a bale, and Oaten was $8.80. Or for a large round bale of oaten it was between $60 and $70 ea. :)
Willow, Snickas, Kevin, Sweetie, Lou- Lou, Piper.

Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »

Coastal and burmuda hays- $9-11 a bale
Alfalfa $ 20-25  a bale
bahaia $6-7 a bale
mix blended hay $6-9 a bale
Round bales $ 75-100
live barn cam :
http://holly.camstreams.com/
713 775 2285
Siana Miniature Horses
Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

clara cain

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:11:45 AM »

Here in south Florida, a square  40-50#  bale of T and A is $14.50 at the feed store.  Delivery is $7.50 an order.  The hay is shipped in from Ontario , Canada every week.  We feed hay twice a day, even though we usually have grass all year long, even in the winter .  I only carry one to two weeks worth because the humidity will make it mold.   And yes, do u want to know how to make a small fortune???  Start with a large fortune and have horses.

Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
    • Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »

Here, the cost of hay depends on the quality. Rubbish hay (aka full of weeks and course, and loose baled) in small bales is about 2 the good bales can fetch about 4. The large bales are about 25-30. In dollars that is $2.60 - $5.15ish or $25-38

Rocklone Miniature Horses

Rocklone Banners Charming Meadow
Lewingales Goldilocks + Rocklone GB Louis Vuitton
Ravenwood Imperial Charm + Bump
Gelnhollow Thrill Seeker
Marshall Jed

Ryan

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »

Ive just changed suppliers for some of my hay due to what I was paying.

I was paying $18 a bale (small square) plain grass hay . I now pay $10 and that only if I take the float and buy in bulk.

Alfalfa/Luncerne $25-$28
Rye/Clover         $19

Big Rounds $140+

Our Prices annoy the *(&%$#%&^*  out of me , we had so much extra rain in spring and summer last year and most got 3rd and 4th cuts , yet we are still paying through the roof :)

Ill be on the hunt come summer so I can stock for winter 2018

Carly Rae

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 02:45:41 AM »

Wow! Its crazy how much the price difference of hay is between Queensland and Victoria, Ryan! I didn't know it was that expensive there!
Willow, Snickas, Kevin, Sweetie, Lou- Lou, Piper.

Ryan

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »

Yeah it is crazy, I predominantly feed grass hay throughout the year and add Lucerne and a blend of Grass and Clover in winter.

How feed stores can charge nearly $20 for a bale of grass hay is beyond me.

One of the reasons I made the decision to hunt for grass hay in bulk was that the quality would go up and down all the time , but the price still remained the same.

One of the last orders I received I sent back as I wouldn't have lined a stable with it. It was terribly course and dusty and had obviously been stored for a few years.

Ive now fence off 1-2 acres and will have it slashed and baled this year :)

Ryan

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 12:20:35 AM »

What about other Bagged Feeds Etc ? Whats everyone paying ?

Now just to make us realize how old we are , When you first got into horses , what were you paying back then ?

Bale of plain grass Hay $2
Lucerne Hay $5-$7
Oatn Chaff  $11
Lurcerne Chaff $13

Pony mix ( which is a pre made blend with no molasses )   $15

Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 12:45:57 AM »

What about other Bagged Feeds Etc ? Whats everyone paying ?

Now just to make us realize how old we are , When you first got into horses , what were you paying back then ?

Bale of plain grass Hay $2
Lucerne Hay $5-$7
Oatn Chaff  $11
Lurcerne Chaff $13

Pony mix ( which is a pre made blend with no molasses )   $15
Do you really think I can remember that long ago?  And, I was in high school, so Dad helped me a bit with my feed and hay.
Well, actually, I can, as part of the deal with my dad to let me get a horse is that I had to keep records.  I only have my yearly summaries left, but...
1986 - hay $60/ton (no buying by the bale where I live)
           3-way - $7.25/50#
           COB w/ molasses - $4.50/50#
           gelding had to have surgery to remove severe proud flesh overgrowth on leg - $105
1987 - I had hay left over from the previous year evidently (I had purchased 4 ton), as there is no record
           whole oats - $4.90/50# (spring) - $5.50/50# (fall) - and jumped to $7.75/50# (winter)
           Complete feed - $4.70/50#
1988 - hay - $90/ton + $20 for delivery
           Omolene 100 - $8.50/50# (purina sweet feed with 10% or 12% protein)
           whole oats - $5.50/50# and $7.95/80#
           pure pride - $6.00/50# (pelleted fortified grain from purina, probably 10 or 12% protein)
1989 - took him to college and was working for part of my board paid $30/month summer and $55/month in winter for pasture board
           rolled oats and barley 50-50 mix - $5.00/50#
1990 - grass/alfalfa hay - $65-70/ton
           grain and pellets in the $5-6/50# range
           board $50/month, worked off half (I paid $50, so board was $100)
1997 - I had moved to Colorado - hay $130/ton for grass, alfalfa $3.50/bale
1998 - grass hay - $108/ton delivered
           board $150/month for self-care paddock
2001 - hay total for 3 for year - $542 (didn't write down per ton price)
          COB - $6.50/50#    sweet feed - $4.50/50#
After 2001 - I didn't list the break down for the different feeds per bag, just the yearly total.

Today: whole oats are like $12-15/50# bag
           The fortified feed I use is $15-$18/bag
            I don't use it, but last time I was at TSC Purina Omolene was like $18/bag

Sorry, I got a little nostalgic, and couldn't help myself when I was looking at those old records.
Chanda
HC Minis

Ryan

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 01:13:06 AM »

That is great Chanda :)

Its crazy how "everything " in life has increased over the years !!

The Mixed bag I use these days is $32 , I use it to keep weight on my two biggies in winter.

Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 01:25:52 AM »

That is great Chanda :)

Its crazy how "everything " in life has increased over the years !!

The Mixed bag I use these days is $32 , I use it to keep weight on my two biggies in winter.
But, it also dated me; man I feel old.   :o
I loved the ration balancer I was on a few years ago, but when it hit $35/bag, my budget couldn't take it any more, even with the small amount per head fed, I was feeding nearly a dozen minis and a saddle horse, so needed 3 bag per month.   And, I can't seem to keep it simple in the feed room, so have alfalfa pellets in addition to their extruded feed that provides the vit/min lacking in their hay (some are getting senior, as they are doing well on it and it's easier to get than the extruded).  [Also have a bermuda/alfalfa pellet that goes in the young stallion's treat ball, it's his breakfast and keeps him busy a little while.]    This year with the drought and hay shortage, will probably have to add beet pulp to the feed room.  I did pick up a couple bags of hay cubes, which I usually hate, but thought if I end up soaking beet pulp, I can throw a few hay cubes in the mix too to help stretch this year's hay.    Will probably buy a complete pellet for the saddle horses, if they need more than the hay provides (they'll probably still just get a bale tossed in their feeder, but this year's hay is going to be dry and late season, so not prime by any stretch of the imagination)
Chanda
HC Minis

dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 06:02:44 AM »

You have a better memory than I do, Chanda!  Fabulous information.

I was 5 when I got my first horse, and certainly don't remember that many decades ago!   :D
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:49 AM »

You have a better memory than I do, Chanda!  Fabulous information.

I was 5 when I got my first horse, and certainly don't remember that many decades ago!   :D
Wish my memory was that good, but like I said, my dad had me keep records.   Fun to look back.
Chanda
HC Minis

clara cain

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »

I was telling one of my high school kids that when I was little a pepsi was a dime and a hamburger was a quarter, but 60 cents was an hours pay.  gas was 25 cents a gallon or less if there was a gas war.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up