Author Topic: MEMBERS WILDLIFE PHOTOS  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Re: MEMBERS WILDLIFE PHOTOS
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
No sheep or castles but i have on my phone which has just died lol ill get them at some point.

Here is a rabbit though. I mean, its the most endangered animal in the world so pretty special photo (hahaha!)

Here some sheep and the mountains of mourne (that sweep down to the sea lol)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
I love the bunny pictures -- such delicate looking creatures.  And the sheep in the meadow are just beautiful!  They remind me of Anna's wonderful pictures of her pastures!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 06:56:32 PM »
Great pics of your country side Hayley :)

Yes Anna , I think we are due for some more lol :)

Offline Anna

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 03:53:32 AM »
Great topic - I love seeing and hearing about your wildlife.   :)  But I'm sorry, I still haven't got this new laptop sorted with a picture section (have loads on my phone, but as that's also new I haven't, as yet, got a techy family member sorted to set up the off-loading for me - everyone is either miles away or frantically busy!)
But I can tell you that we have loads of kites round here, plus the odd buzzard and harrier hawk.  We also have a large pond (small lake) which over the past two years has been home to a hatching of baby mallard ducks.  This year however we had a pair of adults as usual but no sign of babies as normal end of April. Two more females arrived with one extra male - still nothing.  The males then disappeared followed soon after by the females. We occasionally saw a female around - but which one or could it have been different ones, they all look the same! Come mid June we had given up all hope of babies for this year when, looking out of my window one morning, there was a mummy duck swimming along followed by 7 little ones! So thrilled, lucky to catch sight of them as she was keeping them well hidden in the undergrowth round the pond side - they were so tiny! Within a couple of weeks they were bolder and big enough to hop up on to my 'patio' area and pinch the bird food I was putting out - so now feeding birds and ducks!!  But the excitement was not yet over. Three weeks later another mummy duck appeared trailing 6 tiny babies behind her! Brilliant!!
So the 'wild life' has been nicely increasing round here this year!!   :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 05:46:02 AM »
Sounds wonderful!  Just makes me smile!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Carly Rae

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »
I LOVE seeing all your wildlife photos!!  ;D

I'll add one, this isn't mine, its my mums photo. Pelicans and a sea gull at Brooms Head  :)
Willow, Kevin, Piper, Specter, Spider & Dashaspring

Offline Ryan

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
Not the best of photos and whilst I dont think Im expecting any foals this year , I am expecting cygnets. The swans nested and have been taking turns on the nest for a little over a week now.

I've done a little research and they should be nesting for around 42 days. All the reeds you can see behind the nest were not there when they nested the first time , so I'm hopeful its enough protection from fixes and other predators this time.

great Pic Carly :)  Its one bird that I havent had stop by at home (yet) :)

Offline clara cain

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 08:41:27 PM »
Love that sheep pic!  Looks like something out of a movie.  HOW DO U GET YOUR PHOTOS SO BIG?  mine won't load unless I make them tiny.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 11:36:43 PM »
The swans have been taking turns at nesting. The seem to be taking day and night shifts. The female seems to be taking the day shift and the male returns each evening to swap.

I've been trying to keep my distance as much as I can as I have read that the wings of a swan will just about knock you off your feet. Ive been throwing in some lettuce and spinach for them along with some bread that is full of grain. Apparently bread is ok for them but cannot be fed if its moldy or stale.

If you look closely directly behind the swan is the nest they spent two weeks building :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 05:55:40 AM »
We're going to have to get update pictures from you as they go along, and we won't have to wait 11 months to see "your" little ones!  This is fun!!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »
No 11 Month wait here for these little ones :)

Another 4 weeks if my calculations are correct !!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »
From my "guessing" calculations I think there is probably two weeks left before the swans are due :)

The male has definitely spent more time on the nest than the female has. Cant be sure, but I have a feeling both stay during the night and then one leaves for the day and returns when the sun is setting.  From other research Ive read, they probably wont return to nest again anytime soon. The nest is often used just once and a "Pair" dont usually nest in the same place twice. 

Its been really cool to watch their habits and how they work as a team to maintain the nest and gather reeds and food for each other.

Caught this guy eyeing off the alfalfa hay I was throwing to my thoroughbreds last night  :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 06:18:07 AM »
How cool, Ryan.  Thanks for all the info on the Swans.  I'm really enjoying learning about them, and can't wait to see their little ones trailing behind them on the water!!

LOVE the moos!!

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »
Last year, I had asked about burning the undersides of the branches on my pecan tree, because we'd placed a lean-to under it. I was concerned, because it was shedding so much fruit, early.  During that conversation, I encountered a caterpillar.  I'd also taken a picture of a moth at a gas station.  Turns out the caterpillar was an example of the Regal Moth, and the moth was an adult!!  They munch on pecans (part of the hickory family) so I quit worrying about loosing fruit.   O:-)

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »
Does a vole under Lucky toes count as wildlife??

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!