Author Topic: MEMBERS WILDLIFE PHOTOS  (Read 3386 times)

Offline clara cain

MEMBERS WILDLIFE PHOTOS
« on: June 10, 2017, 01:02:38 PM »
MY EAGLE PHOTO   HE LANDED IN OUR BACK PASTURE DURING THE WINTER DROUGHT

Offline Ryan

Re: MEMBERS WILDLIFE PHOTOS
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:53:07 PM »
They are an amazing animal. When we first brought our farm back in 2007 I was standing on the bank of our lake and I could see a wedge tail Eagle circling around. We had a couple of old pine trees on the edge of the water so I stood behind one but kept my eye on the eagle as I knew he/she had their eye on dinner.  I could see it getting lower and was lucky enough to be standing directly behind it as it flew in for its dinner. It was really unreal to watch , I dont think Id ever be that lucky to be standing in that position again, to watch it close its wings as it was about to land but scooped up the field mouse at the last second.

I took a second glance as i saw "Winter drought" We suffer terribly from drought in summer, would be nice if some of the winter rains appeared in summer :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 10:15:52 AM »
Thats a beautiful picture. We dont have Eagles here, that ive seen but we do have a lot of other critters. I will try to remember to get pictures!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline clara cain

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 07:53:51 PM »
Thank you... how about sandhill cranes?   before the traffic got so bad we used to have sand hill cranes in our yard  over in cape coral     just across the bridge they have tiny burrowing owls   i want to go over there some day and try to get a pic.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »
They are an amazing animal. When we first brought our farm back in 2007 I was standing on the bank of our lake and I could see a wedge tail Eagle circling around. We had a couple of old pine trees on the edge of the water so I stood behind one but kept my eye on the eagle as I knew he/she had their eye on dinner.  I could see it getting lower and was lucky enough to be standing directly behind it as it flew in for its dinner. It was really unreal to watch , I dont think Id ever be that lucky to be standing in that position again, to watch it close its wings as it was about to land but scooped up the field mouse at the last second.

I took a second glance as i saw "Winter drought" We suffer terribly from drought in summer, would be nice if some of the winter rains appeared in summer :)

I've had only 1 personal experience with these awesome birds.  I was returning to the barn from the feed store, and found an "early" foal laying in the pasture with momma standing guard.  She was standing guard because right in front of her was the most massive bald eagle, who had swooped down and was walking towards her expelled placenta.  I could not believe the wing-span on this guy!  HUGE!  Scared me to death thinking of my little one on the ground.  That's what I get for wanting momma's to have a little exercise every day.  Mom had been stalled waiting to drop this foal, and I thought I'd give her a little "outing" while I was running to the feed store.  After all, no signs of labor, and a 30 minutes trip total.  I don't know what I was more excited about -- the new baby or seeing one of these wonderful birds up close and "personal".

My son, Tommy, who lives on a salt-water canal to the Gulf of Mexico, has 2 new arrivals to his property.  A pair of these wonderful birds.  Hard to see in the pictures, but I'll post them anyway.  Spectacular!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
Both lovely birds.

My heart would have skipped a beat seeing that eagle checking out the placenta Diane ...

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:00:10 PM »
And for sure, mine did!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 07:09:20 PM »
Had these two swans call in last night.  We used to have a couple of swans that spent quite a lot of time at home. The first year we were there, 6 babies were born but unfortunately because the lake is so "open" , there was no protection from foxes and now the swans very rarely come to visit.

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 07:56:05 PM »
I'm in Northern Ireland so our most exotic wildlife is probably a trout. Although we did have a random spat of white walkers and dragons for a while recently. (A little game of thrones humour....)

Offline clara cain

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 08:48:07 PM »
Ryan, those black swans are very exotic looking.  To buy an Australian black swan for a lake it is $1400 US.  Thank u for sharing

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 09:11:54 PM »
I have traveled quite a bit so I have so many pictures, but here is one from the front of our house. This hawk was there for just a moment and of course, my only angle had power lines in front.
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline clara cain

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
Hey Rocklone, do u have any photos of castles?  Or churches, or sheep grazing with rock fences.  That is my idea of Ireland!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »
Wow $1400 U.S , then I guess you would have to have wings clipped so they stayed.

Hayley LOL !! The white walkers and Dragons sound more exciting than the trout !!

Great photo Elizabeth , that looks to be a big hawk !

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 05:47:51 AM »
Beautiful picture! 

Offline Ryan

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 07:41:47 PM »
I may have to start a Swan watch thread soon , The two swans have nested in the reeds and have been coming up to the back door looking for some food.

Fingers crossed they have a lot more protection from predators this year ;pray