Author Topic: Show Prep  (Read 2419 times)

Offline elizabeth.conder

Show Prep
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:00:32 AM »
I am looking into showing at least one of my minis in a local show this August. I still haven't decided for sure which horse or horses. I have been looking into it a lot lately but I was hoping that someone here could point me to some good articles or some tips. I am hoping to attend a different show in Glen Rose in a few weeks. This would be my first show so I am more than willing to admit I have a great deal to learn. So anything is helpful! Thank You!!!
http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1309

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-
Rocky Top Aristocratic Belle Star
Aristocratic Big City Rhapsody
Aristocratic Big City Flower Power

Gelding-
Little Americas Secrets Crescendo

Offline Ryan

Re: Show Prep
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:01:45 AM »
This will be so much fun for you and please take lots of photos for us to see :)

The first  piece of advice ill offer is "Have fun"

I cant help you with what the judges will be looking for but I can help you with a few other things.

Plan ahead as much as you can, Pack the float, your tack trunk a few days before because there will be things you think of at the last min you will want to add. Add a few comfy chairs as there is always a lot of waiting around in between events. Water bucket , hay, grain etc. Lunch/Drinks for yourself and helpers. ( Helpers will be a great help to you on the day )

You can never have enough towels , so pack plenty.  Dont forget First aid supplies just in case you need them.

What sort of classes are you thinking of going in ?

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »
This will be so much fun for you and please take lots of photos for us to see :)

The first  piece of advice ill offer is "Have fun"

I cant help you with what the judges will be looking for but I can help you with a few other things.

Plan ahead as much as you can, Pack the float, your tack trunk a few days before because there will be things you think of at the last min you will want to add. Add a few comfy chairs as there is always a lot of waiting around in between events. Water bucket , hay, grain etc. Lunch/Drinks for yourself and helpers. ( Helpers will be a great help to you on the day )

You can never have enough towels , so pack plenty.  Dont forget First aid supplies just in case you need them.

What sort of classes are you thinking of going in ?

Thank you.
I do not know which specific sections yet because they have not been published, but all I am thinking halter. I am pretty sure I want to show my stallion but I am thinking one of my mares as well, just not sure which one yet.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:57:35 PM »
Your bays have that beautiful rich color!  Very nice for sure!

Halter is a good class to start in.  Lots of practice for getting them to stand, ears perked and attentive to you.  You want your stallion to be good around the others, so extra good manners. 

I think I have a showing book around here somewhere.  I always had a trainer show my horses, since I usually had 3 out at the same time -- one on the east coast showing AMHA, one in the Midwest showing AMHR, and then if $$ permitted, a third out west.  Since I was running a herd of about 45, with 15 stallions here at home, I couldn't get around much to show by myself.  Had too many at home hungry, and too many foals being born during show season.  But I'll look for the book and send to you if I can find it.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »
Here Stallions or colts have to wear a red ribbon in their tail at shows just to let others know, not sure if its the case there or not.

Agree with Halter classes to start in. :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 06:47:43 PM »
Not the rule here.  But sometimes those stallion classes get a bit interesting.

I had one trainer that showed my palomino fewspot stallion, who had him out just one season AMHR, and made him look like a white horse with all the makeup he used on him.  I hate that.  I prefer the more natural look.  He made several championships and scored 6th in all National All-Stars in one season, but when I got the pictures, I couldn't believe he blackened his hooves, and made almost all his appaloosa characteristics hidden except for his muzzle.  Plus, he trained him to be a "bad boy" in the stall and walking to the ring -- lots of rearing and pawing, and then a quick tug on the lead rope, and he absolutely stood in perfect stance with no movement and no attention to the other stallions.  Said he like the "pizzazz" a stallion had.  Not me, I just like a well-mannered stallion.

At home he was much better but usually had that "perked up" look with those pricked ears.  He was a good boy once I got him home from the trainer.  He was a cute baby too -- as far as fewspots go, with those long legs I so like.  Hard to believe how appaloosas change.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 06:58:26 PM »
Wow :)

He is beautiful Diane , Look at those long legs. He is stunning with out all the makeup.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 07:02:28 PM »
This was my other stallion I had showing at the same time, and had him go to Nationals, instead of the fewspot, and he placed 3rd in "color" class in AMHA Nationals against a very well known appaloosa stallion, Lost Spoke's Winter Dreamcatcher ("Catch") who was down-right beautiful.  But I was proud of my boy!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 07:20:05 PM »
 Is the stallion in your profile Pic?  He is amazing !!

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »
Thus are absolutely stunning!!! I've heard all sorts of things about stallions in the show ring. That is why I am 'pretty sure' I want to show him. He is pretty full of himself, but he has improved significantly in the last month.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 06:11:02 AM »
Thank you, Elizabeth.  I've had a few mares shown, too, that I'll share.

The first is "Classy Cat" at the AMHA Worlds, a Top Cat daughter, I think the only appaloosa he produced, but not sure.   And "Ginger" and "Bootylicious"  I loved them.

No, Ryan, the palomino few-spot was "Ticket" and the bay leopard was "Drum Roll Please".  The horse in my profile is a buckskin leopard named "Spotty".

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 12:09:01 PM »
Diane, my Spotty is a grandson of Top Cat (Topper is a Top Cat son).
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »
Well, watch and take notes when you go to the Glenrose Show.  If it's put on by the same folks that put on a couple of big ones when we had ours out for 2012 and 2013, then you can also ask ?s and they are a friendly group of people that are willing to help out.

If Diane doesn't find the book she's talking about, Pat Elder did one on training for halter that I feel is priceless.  It's not expensive either.

This is the Amazon link.  Some of the Mini Tack stores online carry it as well.  https://www.amazon.com/Training-Showing-Miniature-Halter-Classes/dp/1887932631/ref=la_B001K7TSM8_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1497040352&sr=1-1

There may also be tack vendors at the show - but I don't know if they do that for the smaller ones or not.

Go to I AM Ranch - their videos are pretty awesome, but I can't remember if they have halter training tips or not.  Go to You Tube and search mini horse training in halter, etc.

http://www.theminiaturehorse.com/article/haltertraining.htm

There were a few trainers that used to have info on their websites - but I haven't seen those around lately.  One was Ten-L out of ?KY?.  There are a few others. 

When I went to the Glen Rose show in Oct 2012, my girlfriend and I got an extra stall and we stayed in that one.  Did find out (after the fact) that they really didn't (at that time) have shower facilities there.  We did go to the horse wash stalls (indoors as it had turned COLD) and took turns taking a shower while watching out for wanderers, LOL (we were two "fluffy" women in our 50s)!  We slept on cots, had food in a cooler, had my Nutri-Bullet (drink maker - from greens/fruits etc) and a coffee pot.  We cooked on a Coleman Stove and also ended up going out to eat since we couldnt really set it up outside (wasn't prepared for the extreme drop in temps!).

Because we had come from so far away (North Carolina), we had feed and hay for our ponies, extra halters (not showing, so no show gear), my wagon and 2 sets of harness.  Did end up showing in 3 driving classes after got the mini folks to help me fix several problems with hitching the pair to my new wagon. 

A TX trainer had our stallion and a mare that were shown at that show in halter - her equipment was used for prep and caring for those two and we weren't REAL close to her...    We were there for the Spooktacular show - many of the trainers had LOTS of Halloween decorations including our trainer (she had a mini haunted house to walk thru on her aisle at night). I will say that it was fun.

We have had many different show experiences, but breed shows are a whole different "monster", LOL.  Like Diane, I couldn't get away, so in 2012 I had 4 ponies out with trainers and in 2013 we had 3 out.  They were yearlings in 2012 and 2 yr olds in 2013, so only shown in halter.  I didn't see them for their daily handling and liked some of what I saw and didn't like other things (with the trainers). 

Yes, do up lists for supplies - for you, for the trk/trlr, for the horses.  If you want to save $$, take some of your own food.  IF you have $$, supporting the club by purchasing at concession stand they have (make sure they do) is great.

My headache (1st sinus cold since bronchitis cleared up, both YEA and OMG terrible) is returning.  I'm sure there are many things I've forgotten.  It's always better to have extra supplies and not need them than to not have them when you DO need them.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline elizabeth.conder

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »
Well, watch and take notes when you go to the Glenrose Show.  If it's put on by the same folks that put on a couple of big ones when we had ours out for 2012 and 2013, then you can also ask ?s and they are a friendly group of people that are willing to help out.

If Diane doesn't find the book she's talking about, Pat Elder did one on training for halter that I feel is priceless.  It's not expensive either.

This is the Amazon link.  Some of the Mini Tack stores online carry it as well.  https://www.amazon.com/Training-Showing-Miniature-Halter-Classes/dp/1887932631/ref=la_B001K7TSM8_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1497040352&sr=1-1

There may also be tack vendors at the show - but I don't know if they do that for the smaller ones or not.

Go to I AM Ranch - their videos are pretty awesome, but I can't remember if they have halter training tips or not.  Go to You Tube and search mini horse training in halter, etc.

http://www.theminiaturehorse.com/article/haltertraining.htm

There were a few trainers that used to have info on their websites - but I haven't seen those around lately.  One was Ten-L out of ?KY?.  There are a few others. 

When I went to the Glen Rose show in Oct 2012, my girlfriend and I got an extra stall and we stayed in that one.  Did find out (after the fact) that they really didn't (at that time) have shower facilities there.  We did go to the horse wash stalls (indoors as it had turned COLD) and took turns taking a shower while watching out for wanderers, LOL (we were two "fluffy" women in our 50s)!  We slept on cots, had food in a cooler, had my Nutri-Bullet (drink maker - from greens/fruits etc) and a coffee pot.  We cooked on a Coleman Stove and also ended up going out to eat since we couldnt really set it up outside (wasn't prepared for the extreme drop in temps!).

Because we had come from so far away (North Carolina), we had feed and hay for our ponies, extra halters (not showing, so no show gear), my wagon and 2 sets of harness.  Did end up showing in 3 driving classes after got the mini folks to help me fix several problems with hitching the pair to my new wagon. 

A TX trainer had our stallion and a mare that were shown at that show in halter - her equipment was used for prep and caring for those two and we weren't REAL close to her...    We were there for the Spooktacular show - many of the trainers had LOTS of Halloween decorations including our trainer (she had a mini haunted house to walk thru on her aisle at night). I will say that it was fun.

We have had many different show experiences, but breed shows are a whole different "monster", LOL.  Like Diane, I couldn't get away, so in 2012 I had 4 ponies out with trainers and in 2013 we had 3 out.  They were yearlings in 2012 and 2 yr olds in 2013, so only shown in halter.  I didn't see them for their daily handling and liked some of what I saw and didn't like other things (with the trainers). 

Yes, do up lists for supplies - for you, for the trk/trlr, for the horses.  If you want to save $$, take some of your own food.  IF you have $$, supporting the club by purchasing at concession stand they have (make sure they do) is great.

My headache (1st sinus cold since bronchitis cleared up, both YEA and OMG terrible) is returning.  I'm sure there are many things I've forgotten.  It's always better to have extra supplies and not need them than to not have them when you DO need them.

Thank You! I actually have family up there so I have a place to stay etc. That takes care of that problem. One of my Aunts that lives there used to show full-size horses, I think in dressage only. They were AMAZING to watch, and were so well trained. She has given me some tips in keeping them fit.

Stallion-
RHA Redis Loaded Dice

Mares-

Gelding-

Offline Ryan

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 12:49:22 AM »