Author Topic: "LEGEND OF SCOUT LC" miniature colt born May 29 2017 around 1100 p.m.  (Read 4002 times)

Offline clara cain

photo for diane

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Oh, Clara.  He is just lovely, and doing so well!!  What a handsome boy!!

Are you repeating the breeding?
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
He is looking so AWESOME, Clara.  Love that color blue on a black horse, too.

No, you have not made any mistakes.  You've just learned that some things work and some probably don't.  Since he looks so calm and relaxed - hamming in front of the camera - I'd say - nope, no mistakes either!

Something I don't think any of us really mentioned - is there are also differences in each foal (sometimes in full siblings born to the same parents, too) and your methods of training may need to change to accommodate different foal personalities, time that you do/don't have, physical changes in your self (I am not in the shape I was when I was younger - weight and fitness both - and it's harder to do some things like I used to!).  So, NO WORRIES!!

Seems he is doing JUST FINE with what you've done so far.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline clara cain

as to repeating the breeding, Diane.  I don't think my husband will go for that.  I have too many horses.  I need rid of three big horses. But I  do need a little girl in order to get rid of my big mare in order to keep my agriculture exemption.   I am pleased with his markings and coloring. This is probably her 4th foal.  She was open for the past 3 years.  She is nine I think.  When can she be bred back?  Should she really be bred back this year?  Do u think the breeding was good?  Do u think we got the L & D Scout line to come out strong?  Both  parents have L & D Scout grandpa on top side. I recently found out that sire has not been DNA tested , so I must do that to register the colt.  Dam has hers.  Both parents AMHA and AMHR registered and I did pay  and turn a stallion breeding report last year.  When should I register him?  What do u think about showing him as a yearling?  I am not sure I am up to it.  Do u still know people that would show him?   As time goes on, I would appreciate your expertise on evaluating him for conformation, etc. to see if he is a winner. 

Offline clara cain

Paula, thank you for your comments.  None of us are what we used to be,  I am 66 years old and fat and I only wish I had the time and money to have been able to had the horses when I was younger.  I am going to send u a photo of the first time I drove my mini mare in May.  I finally found a guy to teach me to harness her up.  The second time we did it by ourselves, we had a pony cart wreck.  My husband has no patience--bipolar.  He was holding her with a rope around her neck as I began to get in when  she decided she had a feather up her butt.  took off ..he stopped her and she reared up in the airrrrrrrrrrrrr  my one leg in the cart got banged real good and the cart flew up and hit me in the stomach. This all happened in seconds.  It is very hot here now with water standing most places.  Next fall when it cools,  we will try again with a halter that will fit over her rig.  u see we are all still more adventuresome than most!!  I have a little girl across the street that lovs horses and parents are just too busy to bring her over.  Can u believe that?  It is a shame that young kids are not more involved.  I would have loved to had one when I was a kid.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
as to repeating the breeding, Diane.  I don't think my husband will go for that.  I have too many horses.  I need rid of three big horses. But I  do need a little girl in order to get rid of my big mare in order to keep my agriculture exemption.   I am pleased with his markings and coloring. This is probably her 4th foal.  She was open for the past 3 years.  She is nine I think.  When can she be bred back?  Should she really be bred back this year?  Do u think the breeding was good?  Do u think we got the L & D Scout line to come out strong?  Both  parents have L & D Scout grandpa on top side. I recently found out that sire has not been DNA tested , so I must do that to register the colt.  Dam has hers.  Both parents AMHA and AMHR registered and I did pay  and turn a stallion breeding report last year.  When should I register him?  What do u think about showing him as a yearling?  I am not sure I am up to it.  Do u still know people that would show him?   As time goes on, I would appreciate your expertise on evaluating him for conformation, etc. to see if he is a winner.

I think it was a good breeding, and he is quite nice looking with his markings.  Conformation looks good for his age, and we'll have to watch as he matures.  You can breed her back any time, as she appears in good weight and healthy.  She should have had a "foal heat" by now, or right about now, and you can skip that one if you want, as he was born in June, which seems to be a good time.  I bred mine for April/May deliveries because of the heat, but with our weather being so hot so soon, breeding on the foal heat or waiting another cycle is fine.  You did very good doing the stallion report, and you can register him at any time, because he is not going to change color, so you're good to go.  Sometimes, it's hard to tell their color, but he is definitely a black pinto and won't change.  As you say, you will have to pull hair for daddy's DNA testing, but he's just lovely, Clara.  We'll watch as he matures for showing, but he looks good now, and I expect him to mature quite nicely.  Remember, if you're going to sell a big mare, you have 11 months of pregnancy for a new little one, so you should be able to replace with a new little one and keep your exemption.

You'll have to share more about your other horses!  And I know what you're saying.  I, too, am not as trim and slim as I was younger.  In fact, I'm fat compared to my youth!  But, I paid a trainer as I was never really interested in showing myself, as I had only me to feed the herd, so couldn't afford the time away.

He's such a handsome boy!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline clara cain

Here is one for u Diane   His first time wearing a fly mask.  he was just a little aprehensive putting it on and was great taking it off.  I have to say , he is really coming along.  My husband handles him and they have built a bond of trust .  He even let him pick up his feet tonight.  So little advances to build on.  five to ten minutes a day. 

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
Very good, Clara!  It sounds like everything is moving along smoothly for him. 

Look at the "big boy" with his fly mask!  Just amazing that he is growing so fast, and doing so well.  KUDOS for all your work.  It's paying off!!

Offline Ryan

Hows this lovely guy going Clara ?