Author Topic: Gardening!  (Read 12326 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Gardening!
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2018, 05:22:13 PM »
Holly, If you have zucchinis or cucumbers in your plans for this year, wait an extra month before you plant the seedlings. I did , just to be sure that the cold nights and frosts had gone.  They are both going crazy this year. Ill take some pics tonight.

Its one month today since I planted them and Im a couple of days off my first zucchini :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »
WOW!  This all sounds so yummy, I may just have to plant a garden again!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2018, 05:20:40 PM »
4 Weeks from seedlings :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2018, 06:02:37 AM »
Looking great!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2018, 07:20:18 AM »
Ryan, do you pick yours when they're teeny weeny, and still have the flowers attached? Do you then stuff the blossoms and eat them?

I'm curious because you share some of the best recipes!
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
I havent as yet Julie, though I have always wanted too try that. I was always told that they become very woody as they grew. I had one a few years back that grew to be 1.2m :)

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2018, 08:24:35 PM »
Dang Ryan, that was so big you could have hollowed it out and used it for a canoe!! 😂😂😂

I've got a lot of free time for the next 90 days. No reason at all for not working on garden plots. As slowly as I move, I should have at LEAST one 3 x 9 foot plot ready by mid-March.  >:D

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »
Hahahahaha "Canoe" !!

Cant wait to see some pics Julie :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »
First two for the year. I scooped them out and stuffed them with sundried tomatoes, red onion, fetta, rice, fresh oregano, basil and parsley .

baked in the oven for 25 mins. They were really easy and tasty :)

« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »
Well, I can't the pictures from my phone to download to my computer.....because it's SO SMART, and thinks it knows what I want.  >:( :o >:(

I spent 5 hours one day, setting up one garden bed.  It's made from my portable chicken pen that is 3 feet wide by 3 feet tall by 9 feet long (guesstimate.)  I set it up where I want to place one semi-raised bed, and is about 2 feet from the chain link fencing of Spanky's pen.  After I had it in the spot, I arched a cattle panel over each end, which left a spot about 2 feet wide in the middle that isn't covered by cattle panel.  One end of the panel is butted up against the chicken pen, and the other is against the fence.  (Imagine the pen as a horse. One end sits touching the near side, the other is against the fen on the off side--the pen is inside the arch.)  This left me with an aisle on the one side.  I then used some green plastic garden fencing that is 3 feet wide to enclose most of the top of the arches.  It left a space about 2 feet wide along the top, which is about 6 feet high at the top of the arch. (Remember this, it's important later.  ;))  I used a tarp to cover one end of the chicken pen, and set up a roost.  Each long side of the pen also has a sheet of tin along the outside of it. To finish, I layered leaves, then old OLD  manure from Spanky's old lot, then I raked up the hay from the barn and put it on top.  I damped everything down......then ran out of steam.  The plan is, to pen the chickens up there until 1 April, so that they can till it up for me.  That's why I put the tin along the sides, so they wouldn't kick everything out and leave a 6 inch deep pit.  (I learned that after previous times penning them up.)

That was last week.  I've spent the time since trying to herd, entice, chase, bribe and beg them into that pen.  What I have left (after storms and a couple of predator losses) are two Campine hens and my original little bantam rooster, Chauncy.  Campine's are a wonderful breed to have if you're not in town.  They are intelligent, curious, healthy, hardy, free range well, and are fairly steady layers of medium eggs.  Mine are a pale pinkish tan in color.  They don't, however, care to be penned up, hence the chasing during the last week.  I finally bit the bullet, and didn't feed them yesterday or this morning.  (That didn't stop them from raiding the cat food dishes though. Chauncy chased the stray kitties off and the hens ate to their hearts' content.)  When I went out this afternoon, I took TASTY, DELICIOUS table scraps.  I made sure that they got to peek into the dish, then I went down to the pen and chucked it in.  The mistake they made was all running into the pen at the same time--trapped!! I chuckled like this  >:D >:D as I closed and locked the door.

Now, do you remember what I said to remember above, about the space up top?  By the time I'd wobbled the (about) 20 feet to the house, I heard cackling.  Looked over my shoulder just in time to see the 2 hens fly out.  >:( >:( >:(  They ran off like the crazy women they are.  Since it was close to roosting time, I went ahead and let Chauncy out.  I'll look to see if I have a tarp long enough to cover it all, and try again another day.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2018, 08:42:46 AM »
HA!  This had me laughing!!  So enjoyable to read, and you make me tired just thinking of all you're doing!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
Hahahahaha that is funny Julie.

Are you going to planting some veggies this year ?

« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2018, 07:15:23 PM »
Yes Ryan, I'll be doing vegetables this year.  I'll also be doing herbs, and another attempt at flowers.  I still have most of my super, duper low price jackpot seeds, so I'll plant them ALL and see what sprouts.  My mint that I'd planted in a block survived the snows last year, but died off this fall.  My husband wanted to pull it out, but I convinced him to let me just cut it back.   ;D It's sprouting back now!  As far as using the chickens as tillers....I'm still trying to *entice* them into the pen.  I've been really REALLY mean this week....I've not fed them much of anything for the last 2 days.  Hopefully, by mid-day tomorrow they'll be hungry enough to rush into the pen.  Of course, me not feeding them doesn't say much.  They've beaten up the cats so many times over the cat food, that I'm not sure they're hungry at all.  ::) ::)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »
HA!!!  I just love your stories!  They make me smile!   ;D

Offline Ryan

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2018, 05:25:23 PM »
Me too :)

Thats quite the seed collection , I hope you get a bumper crop :)

I saw something online the other day. Old hay bales being used as veggie plots. They had planted the seedlings into the middle and it looked really great. It kept the moisture in during the really hot days !!