Author Topic: Gardening!  (Read 12327 times)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Re: Gardening!
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »
Diane, those pictures would make my oldest son green with envy! He loves hunting , that would be right up his alley!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2017, 11:30:35 PM »
Wow, those are not small!  I've never tried alligator either.

I have a picture of a baby pineapple tree here at a nursery.  I don't think I'm going to do pineapple, but the plants sure are interesting.

Ryan - it's been about 25 years since I last had horse meat - over seas.  Honestly, it was better than most beef and it's much leaner, too.  I've never fully understood the not liking to eat it here in the US.  I also remember when horse meat was used for dog food - dogs did so much better then than they do now on a lot of the dry kibble.  Not so many health issues, either.  And here in the US, with the current "over supply" of horses - many of them not injured or sick - I'd think we could make use of that RATHER than overfilling and then closing down all the "Rescue" operations. But that discussion is probably best kept for anther thread, especially since I have a much different "take" on that subject than most.  :)

I have not yet gotten the gardens prepared that I wanted to have this year.  However, the areas where I plan on putting the fruit trees is getting slowly amended and prepared to take trees.  No, I didn't get them this spring as planned, but seriously looking at getting SOME of them this fall.  At least we are on our way with preparations, I'm ok with that!   ;)

The two black berry plants have been planted and they have small amounts of fruit!!   ;D 

The Goji berry "bushes" were planted and they do appear to be growing now. 

The two honey berry plants have not been transplanted yet and while they are still alive, they are probably container root bound...  OOPS!   ::)

I'll see if I can get some pics of them this weekend.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Ryan

« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2017, 08:38:15 PM »
I am about to start planting out this years veggie garden. I've held back an extra month this year as we have too many frosts lately.

Ill add some pics when things are in the ground :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »
Picked my first batch of White nectarines. Really happy with the amount of fruit , as this is the first year it has fruited :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
I also picked some Blood plums and almonds.  I didnt get many plums as the birds got to them before I could net in time.  The ones I did have left over , I made Jam out of. I just got a basic recipe for jam and added a couple of cloves and some cinnamon too and it was sooooo good !!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
Post me some fruit, Ryan, they all look good, and I love almonds.  Just don't expect me to make anything from them, I don't can or freeze, I just eat.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2018, 06:28:23 PM »
All looks so yummy!!!  You can send some here, too.  I used to can a lot when my kids were younger, but I'm with Chanda.  That all looks so good, I think I'd just EAT, too!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:41 PM »
Yeah I dont think id bother canning as Id have nothing to put into the cans. :)

My almonds are the first thing ready in the orchard each year. If I dont pick them in time they explode due to the heat.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2018, 07:10:58 PM »
Harvested 72 yellow Nectarines off my "Dwarf Plant" , apples have been netted  and Nashi Pears are getting bigger.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »
Goodness!  Send some to Florida!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2018, 10:43:13 PM »
Nectarines!! One of my favorite fruits!!

I have a question: how do you know when to harvest the almonds? They look like they're fuzzy, how do you remove the fuzz? Does it dry up and fall off? Can you eat them while they're green and fuzzy?
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »

I have a question: how do you know when to harvest the almonds? They look like they're fuzzy, how do you remove the fuzz? Does it dry up and fall off? Can you eat them while they're green and fuzzy?

Almonds are actually a fruit similar to peach, except that we eat the "pit" instead of the fleshy part. 
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2018, 03:25:22 PM »
All seeds for march garden bought! Almost time to till..... so ready for fresh veggies again!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2018, 05:16:28 PM »

Well I dont actually lol. I do know that they are the first ready each year. Its one of those things that needs regular checking. Once I see 1-2 open on the ground , I net for a couple of weeks. Once I see more on the ground I know to pick them all before the sun bursts them.

Pear trees have been netted , My Zucchinis are flowering as are cucumbers.  Tomatoes are starting to grow and there plenty of flowers. Corn is steadily growing too. Watermelon is my trial and error this year. They are growing well so far but not sure I got the seedlings into the ground early enough.

Pictures soon :)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2018, 03:26:07 PM »
Holly, when do anticipate being able to start planting? Do you start yours inside and then transplant?

I'm working on my plans too.  Hopefully, I haven't killed my last few roses, firethorn and a jessamine by leaving them in pots overwinter.

I think our spring will be late coming this year. My daffodils are JUST start to poke their tips out. Usually, we have blooms by mid January.

I'll be planting the Heritage seeds Paula gave me for Christmas. (Teeeheehee....thanks again, Paula!!) I'll also watch and see how many volunteer tomatoes come up. Then, I'll add more, plant PLENTY of corny, corn, corn, bell peppers and flowers. Haven't decided what else yet, but I'm sure there will be more.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!