Author Topic: Gardening!  (Read 12323 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Gardening!
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »
You are probably right Diane, it does worry me when Its really hot where they are hiding , I try to make as much noise as possible as they hate vibration.

I would worry about the horses with the alligators , though Id be quite happy to learn to shoot a gun if needed :)

Offline clara cain

« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »
i agree with Diane.  I will take alligators any day to poisonous snakes.  on the theme of snakes it is the start of python season in south Florida.  They killed 158 giant pythons last year.  They are invasive species, not native--- started by pet owners releasing them in the Everglades.  Look up u tube Florida Python swallows alligator

Offline Ryan

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2017, 07:41:33 PM »
I saw that on you tube earlier this year.  Have you had many alligators or these snakes on your properties ?

I think id freak out !! :)

Offline clara cain

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »
We had a giant iguana during huge rain last year.  Another former pet I am sure.  No pythons yet, but they are spreading farther north. Alligators can be in any water, but so far we have not had one, just lots of wading birds and  otters that ate my fish, bobcats, raccoons, posseums, squirrels, rabbits, sometimes coyotes, wild hogs,----   our biggest problem now are armadillos.  They have invaded every state; aleins from Mexico and Central America.  They dig horrible holes and I am afraid my horses are going to break a leg.  I also have big horses.  Armadillos are hard to kill, nocturnal--they are busy wile we sleep, and carry disease.  watch armadillo hunts on u-tube I will send u a photo of one that won't dig anymore holes at our house after double ought buckshot.

Offline clara cain

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
Ryan here is that photo I promises u!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2017, 07:11:25 PM »
He wont be causing you any more grief. That is quite a variety of wild animals you have around. We have plenty of rabbits and foxes. Foxes are my biggest concern due to the diseases they have and spread around. Do you have a water catchment / lake/ dam ? I have the same problem with birds eating my fish. We put Rainbow trout and red finn in a few years back but not sure how many survived .

Offline clara cain

« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2017, 02:32:59 AM »
yes i have a small lake.  When your trout get big i am coming over.  Love to catch trout!!!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »
Lol your welcome anytime :)

Well we put fingerlings in about 5 years ago but we had a terrible trouble with cormorants so not sure how many survived. I used to see them in the warmer months eating the mozzies but havent seen any over the last year.

They certainly cleaned up the lake though, it was covered in reeds back in 2007 when we brought the place and now its all clear :)

Offline clara cain

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2017, 08:04:38 PM »
here are some pineapples my friends are raising   cool right?   

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »
Very cool. And delish!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2017, 10:12:57 AM »
Well, Clara, my boys help as best they can each year -- getting rid of alligators!  They get permits for 3 counties each year -- Charlotte, Desoto and Highlands.  It's hard to believe they were once a protected species, and now they are all over causing all kinds of havoc killing pets and attacking people.  They should have "open season" on them for a couple of years and bring this ornery population down.

And trout!  You'll have to stand in line!  My favorite eating fish.  I grew up on a 100 acre farm in New York, and we had a series of ponds for trout -- the "base" pond being our swimming pond, too, about the size of a football field!  My grandfather fished everyday and when it was "trout night", my grandfather would stand at the end of his driveway so the school bus driver would know to drop up off at his house, as there was something special waiting for us at grandma's house!

We did catch a black-tip shark on vacation!  Yum yum!  Good eating for all 18 of us, with plenty left over for another fish night party later this summer!

Jon, one of my boys, has pineapples growing on his property.  He hasn't checked them in a while, so crossing my fingers the raccoons have not enjoyed them before we get to!

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline clara cain

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2017, 12:20:16 AM »
000mygooood those are some photos diane!!!!!!!!!!!your boys are some kind of crocodile dundes!!!!!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2017, 12:35:55 AM »
Wowzers !!!!!!

Think Im happy with the snakes after all :)

How was the trout cooked ? Ill try and catch one when the weather gets a little better :)

Fingers crossed the Raccoons have left his pineapples alone  ;pray

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2017, 06:02:11 AM »
The boys mostly sell the meat to the meat plant, but we do get to keep some of the tail meat, and alligator is quite tasty!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »
Never tried alligator , its not something that we see on many menus here. Id be game to try it though , im willing to give most foods a try.

The only thing i would never try is Horse meat, which I read in disgust last week we are about to start exporting overseas  :-[