Author Topic: Gardening!  (Read 12348 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Re: Gardening!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 07:58:31 PM »
I planted three tomato plants. Ive had a skin rash ever since. I god damn hate tomatoes anyway.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 08:00:34 PM »
Take a pic , just in case anyone says you should be gardening , you will have the photo to prove your "Allergic to it " :)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
haha i should!

Worst part is i have a degree in countryside management so should be able to plat all this stuff successfully. I did plant some lilies and marigolds. They're alive.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »
Well, we're headed for summer here!  It's been in the 90's, with some scattered rain.  For me, I wish it would cool off, but that won't come for many months.

This past weekend, I didn't do the veggies, but planted lots of plants in front of my house, and started the bush and plant clean up I should have done in the spring, before the sap started rising.  But, leave it to me, to always be a bit "behind the 8 ball" when it comes to getting things done out in the hot sun!!

I'm still going to try a few tomatoes, but I'm thinking in those "upside down" hanging planters.  Thought I'd give them a try for some "cherry" tomatoes.  At least the critters won't eat them!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 11:49:07 PM »
Sounds great Diane , Love cherry tomatoes :)

Offline Renée

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 04:26:06 AM »
I am behind as well this year. I am not going to do the full blown veggie patch this year but probably just some tomatoes and strawberries to keep the boys happy. I did manage to keep my geraniums alive this winter and they are starting to come back nicely. I will take some pics of my garden when it stops raining. My parents are due to arrive on Monday and every single time they visit it rains. It is totally insane cos where I live it hardly ever rains. All my friends think it is funny and as soon as it rains they say" so when did your mum get her?" Luckily she only comes once a year. lol

Offline Ryan

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 11:10:38 PM »
Bumping this back up as i get excited for the better weather :)

Holly, how did your veggie garden do this year ? And Diane did you get many Tomatoes ?

Ive just planted some strawberry varieties. Chose to plant them into a half wine barrel this year.

Pineapple strawberry, bubblegum strawberry, razzberry strawberry.  They sound great , so i have my fingers crossed they produce fruit :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 05:57:58 AM »
Oh, those sound yummy, Ryan.  I've never heard of those varieties.  You're going to have to tell us about them.

My plans for tomatoes just never materialized.  I did buy the hanging planters, but never got around to planting.  Even did my outside gardening in my front yard, which looked lovely, but at vacation time while I was away, my house-sitter didn't water, and things died in the hot Florida heat.  So, I pruned back some things, but many just needed to be pulled and new plants started. 

Can't wait to hear about those strawberries!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
Strawberries, YUMMMM !
Diane sorry you lost you other garden stuff!
Our veggie garden did fantastic, we ended up with 6 rows green beans harvested, close to 15 zucchini plants, quite a few squash, many , many cucumbers, and new plants from cukes I missed that started their own plants , so I am actually getting cukes again, several dozens of tomatoes, made some salsa. Started the asperagus this year. My okra was a failure, Jalapenos did ok, stayed to small to stuff.
I am thinking a fall pea garden would be wonderful!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 06:00:16 PM »
Holly, what part of the world are you in? What varieties, and how, are you planting for fall peas?

Only got tomatoes planted here too! Mine are in cinder block planters along the walkway. I have two cherry tomatoes, and two regular size, all heirloom types. We've not had many the last couple months. Partly due to heat and partly to being a bit too shady. They're coming on like gangbusters now though! I find I like tomatoes very much...when they're homegrown and have flavor.

I'll take any suggestions for what to plant going into fall and early winter. I may be doing a bit of cold-framing, to see HOW to do it. Also to determine WHAT I can be successful with.

So far, this property seems willing to produce, as long as I say my prayers and thank it for what it gives me. For that, I'm truly grateful.

To finish......

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING to our forum friends Ryan and Carly Are (and others) who are down and under!!

Happy first day of Autumn for us. ;-)
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 06:30:18 PM »
Fall is good for those "cold" veggies -- zucchini, pumpkins, spaghetti squash, any of the squashes.  And fabulous about the seasons, I completely forgot.   :(

Offline Ryan

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 07:15:17 PM »
Im rather happy that the seasons are changing , its been a very wet and cold last few months.

Rule of thumb ( old wives tale) is to plant your summer veggies on Melbourne Cup Day here, which is the first Tuesday in Nov. I like to wait a couple of extra weeks just to make sure the morning frosts are gone , my cucumbers and zucchinis always seem to take a bashing from the frost.

So this year im planting , Cucumbers, zucchinis, variety of large tomatoes, spring onions , Corn , Lettuces, Rocket, Capsicums, chili, snow peas and green beans. Maybe some cherry tomatoes in large pots.

Im also going to plant some herbs of basil, coriander, Thyme, garlic chives.

Sorry to hear you lost some plants from the heat Diane.

Julie , you are right , home grown tomatoes have so much more flavor when grown yourself and good thing is they will grow in pots :)

Holly how do you make your salsa ? I really want to make a pasta sauce I can bottle from the tomatoes I harvest this year and would love to try a salsa too :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 08:39:08 PM »
Where I am, the rule of thumb is plant after Mother's Day (second Sunday in May), and it's usually best to add a couple weeks to that.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2016, 12:13:45 AM »
Who can tell me what this lovely piece of Antique farming equipment is ?

I have alot through the garden at home, this is definitely my favorite.

I think it is an old hay baler, there are massive spikes under the little flowers at the front that Ive covered with a little garden :)

Id love to know the year that this originates from :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 05:56:50 AM »
My vote would be hay baler too.  How unique!!