Author Topic: Rocklone GB Louis Vuitton  (Read 8649 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Rocklone GB Louis Vuitton
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »
Sending best wishes for a quick recovery :)

Good signs he is eating and drinking  ;pray

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
I believe he had a harder poo last night. He had some poo on his bum at 1am when I looked (after a bath) and in the morning that was rock hard and no fresh stuff - there was a tiny poo in the corner I believe was his.

So gonna stick with the treatment for another few days and just keep a close eye.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »
GREAT news!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 07:13:41 PM »
Yay good to hear :)

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 01:57:32 AM »
Hey long time no talk. There’s no updates really as everyone’s been out to rough off for winter!

This week though I’m starting the weaning process and not sure how to tackle it. As you know I have a split stable so I’ve over the last few months been feeding Lou separate but he takes a few bites then starts to stress and look over the door and had that look of (how do I tackle this) he’s quite a mummy’s boy and generally not seen to far from her. So! Here’s options;

1) try this method anyway and see how it goes by just letting him get on with it and learn he can’t get over
2) go cold turkey and have mum in next stable and uncle thriller in the split stable
3) have Lou in separate stable with uncle thriller so he’s fully able to touch (but comes with risks if they bicker, which they don’t do in the field)
4) have Lou and thriller in the field an mum in for a few days but comes with risk of him attempting to jump fences and find mum

Was all so easy with meadow she just did it! I’ve been totally spoiled by her lol

Recent photo though.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2017, 09:32:56 AM »
He's still so cute!

I always did the weaning cold turkey, but I always had a buddy weaning at the same time to keep the little one happy and calm.  So, I know you'll come up with the right plan!

I think Anna let them wean themselves out in pasture.  Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly, but hopefully she'll chime in here with her considerable knowledge!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
Id love to wean naturally in the paddock, but its got so cold and wet here im brining them in now. I tried him in the split with mom again and he was still very anxious and stamping his feet, but he calmed down a bit. Will keep with this for a week or two and then maybe pair him off with uncle.

Offline Anna

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
I cant really help I'm afraid as I have always arranged to so there are at least two to wean together. Mine always get left until after Christmas regardless of age and then the whole lot get separated from their mums at the same time. I wouldn't put him with thriller unless you can be 100% sure that they will get on. Using your split stable, could you make a hole/gap between them so he can see his Mum easily instead of trying the door? Sometimes if they can see Mum being relaxed and not bothered it helps. Who do you turn him out with in the daytime? Good luck, I'm sure it will all settle down in time and yes, the weather is pretty grotty over here right now isn't it!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2017, 02:56:36 PM »
I had planned two to wean, but unfortunately lost my other colt at birth :(

I kept him with the split stall and mum, and they were fine. Today i let him out with uncle Thriller (Thriller is the ultimate nanny, he gets along with any horse and is always so gentle with them) and Lou was totally fine...no stress and didn't care a hoot about leaving mum.

Goldie was notibly more stressed by it all, i put her out with the mares or tried to..there is a window looking out to the paddock Lou was in so when she saw him she refused to move away from the window bless her. Had to coax her out, to where she could see him over the fence. After she saw him she was fine and gradually she moved further away to the actual grass paddock. Again Lou didn't care much that she was there then not!

Funny thing though, Charm was actually very stressed at him not being with Goldie. When she seen Goldie she looked around for Lou then went for a mad gallop screaming her head off. Worse than Goldie! Then when she seen him over the fence she was pacing and swinging her head about until i told her to wise up and chased her away. Not even her foal, and she hasn't been "with" him in the same paddock for months! Just shows how strong their bonds/instincts are  and how intelligent they are.

Had a giggle though, Meadow has started trying to copy the head swinging thing of Charm. She stood watching her kind of like "i don't really understand whats going on, but mum is swinging her head about, so ill try it too" as if she wasnt already enough of a Charm clone! Absolute idiot hahaha

Few photos of our day:

Goldies window lol

Lou and Thriller mid chew - might be the fluff but he looks a lot older than he is lol Meadow STILL looks like a foal and shes nearly 2

Meadow and her nemisis, cats!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 04:35:05 PM »
Weaning time already , hasn't time flown !!

Love the pic of Goldie in the window :)

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 05:29:49 PM »
Yup! Hes just over 6 months now. Id be happy to let him stay on longer but with how my shifts work i can loose a few weeks quite easily and before i know it ill be in spring and suddenly have a pregnant dam!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2017, 10:36:50 PM »
Lovely pictures.   They sure keep us on our toes.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Anna

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
Great pictures and it certainly sounds as though you have them all sorted. I had to laugh at the reactions of Goldie and Charm lol! Has Meadow got the 'head swing' off pat yet?

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
Great pictures!!  Can't believe he's six months old already!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »
Lou is a doll. So many people had me scared about "colts" but im forming the opinion that its not the horse but the owner lol

Yesterday i tied him up (prob 2nd time tied up and he had goldie beside him 1st time, so 1st time ever "alone") and gave him a proper groom with sprays and coming out his mane and tail and putting on hoof oils etc. He loved it!

He has balls, i have felt them before, but they are hibernating at the moment haha so i am waiting for him to start suddenly stomping and biting but he has never been a biter or the like and he knows he is not allowed to lift a leg to me in anger. Hes very sweet.