Author Topic: Rescue filly  (Read 10200 times)

Offline Suebe

Rescue filly
« on: April 18, 2017, 07:12:38 PM »
Hi everyone hope you're all doing well xoxo long time since I've been here, so much going on lately, life got extra busy it seems, looking forward to reading all the threads I've missed!
Anyway do any of you remember the little chestnuts rescue filly about 16 months old deformed hooves and iguana eyes, super cute tiny little thing that was living with a mini jack prior to me picking her up. Was some question as to if she was pregnant by him?! Well we decided she probably wasn't, would be unlikely anyway and she looked to be in heat about 2 months ago when she approached our Haflinger stallion so I never thought twice about pregnancy. Well the last couple days she's looked so round to me unlike her usual. What do you all think? She'd be about 6-7 weeks from birth because we got her June 14 last year.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Rescue filly
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:16:10 PM »
Imagining she's a maiden, they can carry so up high and tight, it's very possible.  She looks "lopsided" to me, so I'd be keeping an eye on her, and GOOD JOB noticing the changes!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:36:26 PM »
Welcome back :)

I cant add anything else than Diane has said , Keep a close eye on her. She looks great :)

Offline Suebe

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:11:07 PM »
How should I handle this until I know for sure? Will I be able to tell if she were close to falling "if of course she's even pregnant" being she is for sure a maiden. Reason I'm concerned is she lives with my herd I call them the Mini Thugs lol Rightfully earned they're all what I call spoiled brats. Sweet as pie in your lap minis but they love to love each other and give big attitudes as well so I wouldn't trust all if them if she were to out if nowhere gave a baby unnoticed. At the same time I wouldn't want to just throw her in a pen alone when I don't know what's going on, they're a very close little herd of 8

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:20:07 PM »
The best thing you can do if vet check isn't an option is to just watch her closely for changes. I find it's difficult to see small changes, so I like to take pictures of udders, vulvas and bellies as a baseline. Then compare all new pics.
She's looking very nice.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Suebe

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:49 PM »
I love my vet I really do but way back when I got the filly my vet was out checking on my pregnant Haflinger I asked her straight out if she thought Quinn could be pregnant and she said she would be really surprised at this age and it's not necessary to test her. I was surprised but went with it. So I'm not sure I want to bring it up to her again she's adamant. My vet was just out gelding my donkey, remember him, he turned a year on the 15th already

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:12:45 AM »
I'd watch for changes, and take pictures that you can post here for us.  Do one down at her level standing behind her so we can look down her sides, and another one down at her level for a full side picture.  We'll watch and see how she changes, and let you know our thoughts.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Suebe

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 02:36:57 PM »
Thank you Diane, I'm guessing changes might be easier to catch with good eyes like lots of you out there because she'd be within 40-50 days. Appreciate the help!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 05:32:25 PM »
We're here to help any way we can, so you're not alone in this.  We're here for you!!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »
She's really looking cute and I agree with everyone else!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Suebe

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »
So far just to confirm, this is a completely non pregnant udder at this point?

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
Couldnt say pregnant or not by that udder, some mares are completely flat with 2 teats and some have a small flaps like your girl.
But those pics are a great baseline to compare to as the weeks go on.
 :)
live barn camera link:

Offline Suebe

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 01:09:43 PM »
Oh ok! Being a maiden if she were pregnant would she still get some udder, they don't always though right?!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »
That is totally true.  Some maidens and even some other breeding mares -- although those who have had foals before generally tend to do the same type of udder each time.  But there are several who go without an udder right up to foaling.

This is a great baseline picture as Holly said!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »
Exactly as Diane said. Also some mares make a tiny udder and some make a HUGE udder , so cant go by size much either.
Maidens are especially tricky. Best to update anytime you feel the need and we will do our best to help :)
live barn camera link: