Author Topic: ? - dealing w/ lice?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
Re: ? - dealing w/ lice?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »
Diane - thank you.  I didn't realize that often/close together.  Had planned on two times (ie: next weekend) but didn't realize 4 weeks in a row! 
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 12:40:02 PM »
You can do whatever works best for you, but I'm just letting you know that it was safe to do every week, should you choose.  Do whatever works for you, but didn't want you to worry about doing it too often.   ;D
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 08:40:59 PM »
Not grossed out by the pics at all Paula, your posts are always so thorough and informative and I love the pics you attach to your posts :)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
Not grossed out by the pics at all Paula, your posts are always so thorough and informative and I love the pics you attach to your posts :)

Thank you, Ryan.  That helps bunches...

:(

Well, one way to stop or end the life of the lice is to overdose the pony and end it's life... 

Both Jynx and Trixie passed on April 24/25.  It may have tied into the severe thunder/lightning storm we had as well - we don't know - for sure.  I do know that they were both fine (albeit WET) on Monday evening.  I, regretfully, didn't check on them Tuesday morning in the heavy down pour coming down - knowing that I needed extra time to navigate possibly flooded roads on the way into work...  Our rain gauges at this home have never worked and we decided to quit purchasing them.  Our neighbor - 1.5 miles away, says he has a measured 5" of rain between Sunday night & Tuesday morn - there has been localized flooding here in areas all around us.  YES, on Monday eve - we had standing water in a couple of areas again.

Trixie was not directly treated for lice nor was she wormed yet, but her dam was.  Jynx, Blitzen and Chylly were probably all overdosed with Permethrin - yes - what I use for fly spray in concentrate form.  I now know that I used too much - we are watching both Chylly & Blitzen as they may develop overdose issues as well (or just lay down and die).

To see more about goings on - go to the 2017 thread in General Discussion.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »
OMG!  Headed there now!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »
Well, 7 days didn't work for treating for lice and neither has 14 days between treatments - I'm still finding live lice.  This is the first time that I have dealt with lice and had it go on for so long...  bleh. 

We had had an outbreak (that we thought we picked up at a trail riding facility) in 2011 and then after we moved here in 2015, more in 2016 and then this year.  In the previous years - with worming and treating topically for them via DE and Permethrin.

I'm so tired of seeing bugs!!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Ryan

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 07:18:34 PM »
Oh no ......  :(

Is there other products that you can try or something else that your vet can recommend ?

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
The vets have all been scratching their heads! 

I've not heard back from the Ag guy that I spoke with a while back - he hasn't returned phone calls or email...  :(

I figure I'm on my own.  The only thing I haven't done, that we did do in 2011 with the only lice I dealt with at the other farmette, was to both body clip and bathe with a medicated shampoo (not even sure any more what kind I used - really think it was an iodine based which really wouldn't have done anything to the lice themselves?).  If I remember right, we body clipped and bathed 6 or 7 ponies - at least two of whom never did have lice show up on them (but they were out in the pastures with the affected ponies, so they were done as well).

I've now had a "bad cold" for the past two weeks again.  The Dr I saw today thinks it started as an allergy based "cold" and then turned into a serious inner-ear infection.  I feel much better today after getting antibiotics and hopefully will be able to treat most, if not all, ponies this weekend (again!).  Then we'll go from there.  That's all I can do, really.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »
I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time with this.  I'm sure part of your cold is simply being worn out after working so hard to get rid of these horrid little bugs.

Praying something can be found to help you out and succeed after one last treatment.  Also praying you get well soon!   ;pray ;pray ;pray

Offline Ryan

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »
Me too , I cant offer any other remedies.

Hope you feel better and get lots of sunshine this weekend :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »
Hope they are finally getting through the lice issue, but if not, I just read something interesting on a FB nutrition group (Australian based, but the basics are the same).   They mentioned feeding sulfer to help get rid of lice, a couple swear by it, and say the lice are gone in a week or so.   My kindle battery died when I first saw it and was going to post, so give me a few to find it again and get more details.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
I just screen shot the discussion and marked over the names, hope no one gets upset.
Just quick googling, doesn't look like it's easy to find an organic sulfur to feed to horses, and the sulfur blocks for cattle aren't recommended.   MSM is a sulfur compound, so wonder if adding some of that to the diet would help?  Just looking for other avenues.   From what I read, sulfur deficiencies aren't common in horses unless they are also protein deficient and/or amino acid deficient.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
How are you going with getting rid of the lice Paula ?

Hoping no news is good news ?

Ryan :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 09:44:54 AM »
DITTO THAT!!!