Author Topic: ? - dealing w/ lice?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
? - dealing w/ lice?
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:05:23 AM »
OK.  We moved into this property late December 2014.

We built 2 separate paddocks (boys and 1 set of mares - swapped out Sr/Jr), a pen made from the steel round pen panels & started the round pen (tho didn't get it finished until much later).

SPRING 2015 - the SR mares had been moved into the mares paddock when it was completed in February(I think?).  In March, the two oldest - Bell & Bit were found to have a heavy infestation of lice.  I treated EVERYONE in the paddock - tho I don't remember everyone having them.  I treated all the brushes/combs/picks from their shelter.  There are pine trees in their paddock.  I know they were rubbing.

None of the other ponies had them, that I remember, in 2015 (or am I wrong Julie - I don't remember treating the boys in 2015).

Did some swapping around over the winter - moved the JR girls into that pasture in Feb of 2016(I think - have to go look at pics now).  Then in March (AGAIN) found lice on several of the JR girls.  EVERYONE treated in that pasture - think some of the boys showed up as having them too, couldn't find on my calendar.  Boys have NO pine trees in their pasture, but have 3 other large ones + a persimmon outside of the paddock.

MARCH, 2017 - now.  Bell is in the outer perimeter of the pasture with JR mares.  The two May 2015 fillies - Chylly & Jynx - have lice .  Chylly has them BAD.  Her white areas were covered in little, moving red spots and she was looking poorly.  THIS time treated her, Jynx & Blitzen with DE instead of the "nasty" stuff with chemical.  By next day, they'd all "perked up" - ESPECIALLY Chylly, whom I'd started to worry about, actually.

SO - I will be doing more treating.  Bell has looked a bit poorly, but other things going on, too.  I haven't seen lice on her but didn't dig into her furry coat much, either.  Maybe not enough to tell?  She doesn't have the patches that the others have had...  or that she had in the past (she rubber herself into many sores in 2015 on her neck, shoulders, rump).

So - is this on the property (with 30 equine now & working 11-12 hour days 4 days a week, it's difficult to get them all treated in the same 3 day weekend much less in the same day!) going to always have an issue with lice?  Is it in the trees?  Is it coming in from the hay?  They seem to show up in March - even when we've been grooming/checking the ponies throughout the winter.  AND this year so far, have to admit, I hadn't even done cursory groomings the way I was since work resumed in January... 

I have to go to work, will renew this later...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: ? - dealing w/ lice?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »
Unfortunately even one with lice is highly contagious for passing it on to the others.

When you treat them, also worm them with Ivermectin, then wait a week to 2 weeks and worm them again with Ivermectin.  The wormer along with the treatment, should take care of the problem.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »
Oh I am sorry girl! What a nightmare to deal with. Maybe you need to dust your entire paddock with DE.
I totally agree with the ivermectin.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:31:55 PM »
Sorry you are going through this Paula, as if you havent had enough of your own health issues lately , now this.  :(

Apart from the foals , have you had anyone return from being on other properties or with other owners?

There are two kinds of Lice found in horses, Ones that suck and the other kind is one that bites the horse.

Lice cannot survive without a host.

Do the furkids in question present with scabbing or crusty coats in the infected area? If yes , then im going to say Im thinking its actually Mites instead of lice. And if it is , then yes theres a BIG chance that they could have arrived in hay.

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:27:40 PM »
"SPRING 2015 - the SR mares had been moved into the mares paddock when it was completed in February(I think?).  In March, the two oldest - Bell & Bit were found to have a heavy infestation of lice.  I treated EVERYONE in the paddock - tho I don't remember everyone having them.  I treated all the brushes/combs/picks from their shelter.  There are pine trees in their paddock.  I know they were rubbing.

None of the other ponies had them, that I remember, in 2015 (or am I wrong Julie - I don't remember treating the boys in 2015)."

In 2015, I think we had to treat Koko, and one or two other Jr. Mares. I don't remember any of the boys having issues that year either.

In 2016, Spanky did have to be treated right after he got here. I think you had issues pop up there shortly after that as well (which would have been February, as you dropped Spanky off mid January.)

As far as the "little, moving red spots" on Chylly...I'm inclined to agree with Ryan. I'm thinking that is some kind of mite. The lice looked like greenish, small termites to me. Bleeehhh!!

Are you noticing that they are confined to those who are doing poorly, or older/younger? What I'm asking is if it's confined to those who might have compromised immune systems. I've not noticed you mention by name those I remember as easier keepers or young to middle aged (GiGi, Ami, Flashi, Flower, 'Cheri, Clipse, most of the boys.)
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »
Julie -

No not on just certain ages this time - all over the place and in every pasture this time - yet NOT on every pony/horse. 

Vicki mentioned that she thought it was "Red bug" - from the Pine Trees.  And this is what I've seen on all of the ones' we've treated since moving here in 2015.  If you saw others - then we were dealing with 2 separate "infestations" - one of which I didn't even recognize.  However, when I did research on lice in 2015 (haven't even bothered this year), the pics of equine lice showed them as red bodied...  AND in 2011 - when Ranger, KECHI (BAD case) and a few others - all youngsters only - got the lice - they were red moving things on Kechi, then too.  Didn't think we'd EVER get Kechi clear then - even though she was HEALTHY at that time...

Vicki is having severe problems with dandruff and dry skin and hair loss on several - but sees no evidence of sores, bugs, rain rot or anything else...  She hasn't a clue what is going on with her group - stated that she'd never experienced dander so much in everyone at one time!

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
I've only experienced it with my Cushing's gelding, but if you don't see bugs and insecticides aren't working, maybe talk to your vet about a possible Vit A deficiency.   I can't remember the exact symptoms, but Jasper was "scurfy" (his skin was scaly and he had dandruff like flakes, and he may have been itchy too, but I can't remember); I inquired on the Cushing's group and Dr Kellon recommended Vit A based on his symptoms (smallest size human caps I could find, I think they were 400IU, but not certain now).  By the time I got through the bottle of Vit A, his skin had cleared up.  [Vit A deficiency is more likely to occur in winter, as Vit A degrades in stored, dry hay, so the horses don't get as much as they need.   Plus he was compromised with his Cushing's so not processing his diet as well as a healthy horse.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
THANK YOU, Chanda!

That is not one I have been told or read anywhere else.  AND it should be affordable to try on all of our ponies and Vicki's too.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 05:32:32 PM »
THANK YOU, Chanda!

That is not one I have been told or read anywhere else.  AND it should be affordable to try on all of our ponies and Vicki's too.
It's not very common, but if it does happen, it's in winter while on older hay, so this time of year.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
The other thing you could try is Vitamin E oil capsules.  It's great for their skin, or even a bit of mineral oil drizzled over their feed.  Keeps things moving (ha!) but also is good for their skin against the dryness.

Keep us posted!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »
I haven't gotten any vitamin A or E yet - completely forgot when Larry asked what we needed from the store...

The whole group of Sr mares have all had bridle paths trimmed (scissors), hooves trimmed today (6 of 8), wormed with Ivermectin and have been treated for lice - 8 ponies.

Still need to do the 8 Jr Mares (3 have been done 1x already & Bell who is out with them); Kechi & Toro in the round pen (I will get pics - haven't taken any of Kechi lately - she's looking good!), and now will just go ahead and treat the boys as well (7) + Ellona (small arab mare - out with the boys).

OMG.  This is tiring just thinking about it again.  At least the girls who have been done already have perked up and are looking good!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
That's good news!  Happy Easter!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »
Soooo - well went thru and treated EVERY ONE of the JR mares, plus Bell.  They all have lice to some extent or another.  And Chylly may have perked up, but the DE doesn't seemed to have slown down or stopped the lice.

If you are grossed out by pics, you don't want to look at these!  UGH.  Even the ones who didn't appear to be bothered, no noticable rubbing or itching, shedding "normally" (not sure I will know what normal shedding is ever again!) and TRULY didn't think that pony had any - whoops!  Lifted the mane or dug thru the rest of that winter "fur" and O, boy, did I find them.

And the pictures show what I consider to be red critters.  The eggs are white, maybe the first hatched larva are, too.  I didn't see wiggly white, just stationary and the red critters.  I can't explain why on some, the critters stayed on the top of the coat on the neck, shoulder area.  On most, they didn't.  Poor Chylly!!!  She was COVERED.  I ended up "clipping" her neck, along her sides and on top of her back/part of her rump - with the scissors.  Undercut 1/2 her mane and her forelock, too.  You'll notice that I've cut their tails.  I did them a bit shorter than I normally do, but then decided just to do all of them that way.  Yea, a little close to fly season, but they will grow out pretty quick, I think and I'm treating with permetrine liquid now, so, don't think flies will be too much of a problem.  I put way too much on Chylly.  She didn't have an instant reaction (thank goodness) and 3 hours later she is still with us.  (I did make a "joke" that we could lose her - I way overdosed her straight from the large bottle that normally gets mixed with a quart of water for flyspray - while I was so worried and grossed out!)...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »
This is a pony I didn't think had any at all...

Blitzen, our 2015 Christmas baby

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
Oh, my!!!  That's some infestation!  You poor thing -- that's a lot of work, for sure.  But sounds like you're really on top of it, which is just great!  Praying all will "disappear" very quickly for you after all your hard work.  Don't forget the extra Ivermectin worming as you continue the other treatments.  It really does help.  Additional wormings don't hurt the horses either.  My vet had me doing it every week for several weeks in a row -- I think like 4 weeks in a row.