Author Topic: What are you fav TV Shows & Movies ?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Ryan

What are you fav TV Shows & Movies ?
« on: March 20, 2017, 10:34:13 PM »
I dont get alot of time to watch Tv in the summer months but when I cant get outside in winter , theres nothing better than getting into a good TV series.

If i catch something on TV , I usually wait till it comes out on DVD or on Netflix so I can binge watch.

One show that has grabbed my attention is "This is us" , after  the first two episodes, i was hooked.

When my god daughter comes over , we watch "heartland" , which i enjoy :)

Im going to start Vikings soon as winter hits, should get me through till spring !!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: What are you fav TV Shows & Movies ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
I love documentaries, history and mysteries.  So, I'll have to think about the ones I have on my DVR saved, as I try to catch up over the weekends.  I do enjoy the Dr. Pol, Vet show, though. 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:00:57 AM »
I love anything mystical. Vampires, werewolves, zombies etc lol and I'm partial to a good romance. I'm on walking dead at the mo and last season of vampire diaries (sob) and once upon a time.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 04:29:11 PM »
Oh, I love the Once Upon a Time series!  I've watched it since the beginning!  It "balances" my murder shows on Investigation Discovery!  HA! 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »
Walking Dead has been one show Ive wanted to start for a while , do you recommend it Hayley ?

I love murder shows too, law and order, criminal Minds and the documentarys on cold cases ect.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
my hubby is fond of Walking Dead, I hate it, but I'm not into zombie movies.  [Only liked Zombieland (sort of), and can't recall the name of the one where the zombies came back to life.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 07:14:54 AM »
I like the murder/investigative type movies (but not the "real time" ones, so much) - NCIS, CSI, CSI LA, CSI NY. 

When they were on liked 2 of the hospital type (not Grey's Anatomy - could never get into that one, yet it's the only one whose name I remember)...

Longmire.  I DID actually like an Aussie one - 3 sisters in the outback.  can never remember the title of that one either, and haven't seen it on Netflix since last year this time...  There's another set up in Canada - more chick flick like, but think it's on the Hallmark channel, not NetFlix, and don't get it regularly.

You would think I'd like Blue Bloods - has actors I like, but I haven't been able to get into it at all...

I like Heartland, too, but the grand daughters aren't into it yet...  They seem to ONLY like animated cartoon type movies, still.  If not animated, they loose interest in the first 5 minutes or so.  Makes me SAD.  I watch a lot of horse movies by myself, because they won't sit and watch them... 

Guess these are movies? -

DO NOT like Zombie movies (family LOVES them of course) BUT do like the one with the female vampire...  It's not a program but I think there is now a 4th movie coming out?  Underworld, I think (Ill update later with the title)?

Big fan of the Jurassic Park movies - have them all and the books (by Michael Crichton), too.  How did they get those HUGE books condensed into such a small amount of movie time????

Currently a big fan of books and movies by Nicolas Sparks (drama/romance/chick flicks) - Love The Horse Whisperer (Robert Redford did a good job with a lot of tough subjects in that one), The Long Ride, The Notebook.  Those 3 FOLLOW the book story line almost perfectly - something you just don't see much of.  I hate it when I REALLY like a book and it comes out in the movie form very differently due to "Poetic License" ( I hate those two words!).

While I'm not into Zombies - I LOVE - The Mummy (gets re-watched a lot in our home), The ? (2nd one), The Scorpion King.  Love the two Tomb Raider movies (not into reading about Angelina's real life, tho).  Not so much into Brad Pitt movies, tho The Titanic was OK.

LOVE books by Clive Cussler and the movie Sahara gets a LOT of watch time (another movie that follows a book!).  Wish they'd do some of those other books...

Do not like Pirates of the Caribbean or the rest of those.

My movie likes are all over the place.  There are some you'd think I'd like, but I don't.  Others you'd be surprised because I LOVE them when you might think the opposite.  I like SOME Hallmark movies and SOME Disney movies.  A lot of comedies - I do not get into at all...  Then there are a few (LOVE THESE - The Ugly Truth, 27 Dresses, Failure to Launch, How to Lose a Guy in 10 days, The Devil wears Prada, Maid in Manhattan, The Proposal<OMG, FUNNY>, Leopold & Kate, The Wedding Planner).  AH, I think all of those in parenthesis also or mainly could be classed as "chick flicks".  There are a few others - but they must not be as memorable because I can never remember the titles, LOL!

Sometimes really get into the dance movies - Take the Lead (A favorite based on REAL LIFE kids programs in NY), Shall We Dance (for those of us who are a little older?? LOL), Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Flash Dance, Save the Last Dance.  Maybe not thought of as Dance, but still enjoyed - Dance with Me, Stomp the Yard, High Strung (LOVE IT).

If you are an older adult - recommend watching Still Mine.  A tear jerker, chick flick type movie that touches on subjects that many of us may or are facing...  (ImDB description -A farmer (James Cromwell) fights back when local authorities hamper his efforts to build a cottage for his dementia-stricken wife (Geneviève Bujold).)  ....

LOVE animal movies (some are horse, some are Disney) - Max (BIG tear jerker - most in my family refuse to watch after seeing trailers.  I LOVE IT - honors/follows much of what I've either done or been part of and is "current"), Fly Away Home (has another title as well), Flicka, Thunderhead, Second Hand Lions (tear jerker & side splitter!!), Dolphin Tales, Free Willy (and the 2nd, 3rd & "spin offs"), Three Wishes, ??(dolphin & dog from 3 Wishes), Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows (1 & 2), Call of the Wild, 8 Below, Ride A Wild Pony (set in Australia, based on book - The Sporting Proposition), Man from Snowy River, Return to Snowy River, ...  there are others.

Would love to get my hands on a copy of The Silver Brumby (DVD format, no longer able to play VHS).  I've watched it on YouTube, I think.  Not a good copy, either.

Out to check on TORY, now...  Then have to get ready to go.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:38 AM »
Just a quick check-in, before I, too, am off to work.

I'm not much into movies or TV. (Though since Ingrid arrived, I keep game shows on while she's here. I think the simple language helps her learn how "less formal" English is spoken. We watch the classic game shows channel or Public Access.)

I liked Little Shop of Horrors. Must have like it a LOT, since I saw it when my now 22 year old twins were only 2 weeks old!! ROFL The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Scary Movie. Campy, funny movies, obviously.

The only horror-type I liked was Creep Show. I've always felt it was a bit of a campy horror take off. Now that I'm on the subject of Stephen King...I can thank Mr. King for AAALLLLLL of my phobias!!! I won't go into the woods without my dogs, because the Tommyknockers might get me. (Late last night and the night before, Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers, knockin' on my door. Wanna go out, do know if I can, 'cause I'm too afraid of the TOMMYKNOCKERS MAN!! Bwaaahaaaaahaaa!!) I don't like talking on my cell phone, in case the Pulse happens and I get turned into a zombie. "Cell". I don't like going into a junkyard too close to sunset, "Christina" and the one with the killer trucks. I won't get too close to storm drains.....to the point that my horses pick up on my discomfort and shy too. >:(  Pennywise from "It" might grab my arm or leg and pull me in. In reference to "It"....I didn't care for the movie. It was too far away from the underlying mysticism of the book. I really liked the "The Stand", "The Dark Tower" (that whole series) and "Thinner."

My favorite movie of all time.....BABE! And again I say BABE!! For me, it's a must see for everyone. It isn't just a kids' movie. If I were a teacher, I'd have the 6-12 graders all watch it, and comment on how it resembles today's climate of racial upset in the US.

Well, off to work I go! See y'all later!
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »
Oh boy!  Stephen King is my FAVORITE AUTHOR!!!!!  He came to my office several years ago when he was writing the book, "The Girl Who Loved Thomas Gordon", as Tom Gordon was a high school ball player who made it big and went to the Boston Red Socks after high school.  Every one knew I loved Stephen King, and Tom Gordon's wife and mother-in-law worked for me, so they surprised me with a surprise visit from Stephen King!  I had 2+ hours of talking with him about New York and Maine, and he autographed several books for me, and to each of my kids!!  I even have a picture of myself with him that I cherish!

I LOVE those "mind" books he writes, and I think I have every one, except the most recent, which I'm ordering but hasn't arrived yet!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 10:49:40 PM »
Paula the Tv show you may be thinking of is either "Mcleods Daughters " or the New Zealand show " keeping up with the kaimanawas".

Julie , I watched "It" as a child and couldnt go near a plug hole for months. Babe is an amazing movie ( a must see)

Diane , im a big fan too , what an author he is, so many amazing books :)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »
Stephen King...yes, MIND books are definitely what he writes. As a child who escaped so much pain and abuse by using my imagination, his books are very BELIEVABLE for me. I am a perfect example of the "suspended disbelief" that is necessary to truly become involved in a book or a movie.

My family LOVES to have me over and watch "Aliens". Doesn't matter that I've seen it a gazillion times, I still jump at every single attack. I still gnaw my fingertips. I still shout "Don't go there!" Leads to quite the entertaining get together, particularly since they like to wait for the scary scenes and the scratch my shoulder and "boo" to get me to jump!

I enjoyed "Forrest Gump." I liked his home, and have always wished I could have a place and rent it out like his mom did. A bed and breakfast type thing. I'd let homeless people work for the board and breakfast, like they did in my mom's generation.

I read Koontz, Clive Cussler, Norma Roberts, (occasionally) Danielle Steele, gardening, farming, Christian, my Bible. Other things too, I just don't remember authors until I see them.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 08:34:28 AM »
I, too, LOVE the Aliens movies!

Let's see, for authors I like (LOVE STEPHEN KING) John Sanford, Patricia Cornwell, Tess Gerritsen, John Saul,  Dean Koontz, the old Rex Stout and Agatha Christie books, and James Patterson.

I also like history books, so enjoy the Bill O'Reilly books like "Killing the Rising Sun" and his other books that are writings about real history.  As a kid I was fascinated by Russian History so read every book the school library's had on Stalin, Lenin, etc.

Now, I enjoy finding out how wrong the history books were -- or what they left out -- by enjoying some of the television shows that are researching and exploring things that we took for granted as truth, like "Hunting Hitler" and what they've discovered, and themes like that.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 11:24:47 PM »
For those that Like to read about aliens, I highly recommend "The girl with all the gifts".

I took this book away with me last year and I read it in two days. For some reason I can switch off when on holidays and its about the only time I read.

It was such a good book :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »
Anyone seen "Schitt Creek" ? well worth watching for a good laugh :)

Just finished season 4 of Vikings which was really good as well.

Offline clara cain

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 02:53:48 AM »
I was just thinking of starting this thread!  Great minds think alike, Ha!  I do like the walking dead because of the surprises--it is hard to figure what is going to happen next.  (sOME OF IT IS IN THE COMICS.)  I watch  Hannity on Fox to get the real facts!  I like the history channel, discovery channel, and the western channel. i LIKE BETTER CALL SAUL, SEARCHING FOR hITLER, ALONE IS STARTING SOON. I still watch wagon train and gunsmoke.  Ryan I just watched Australia again with Nicole Kidman,  I loved Thornbirds; the movie and the book which some of u may be too young for this.  I   just finished last week miniseries, The Son.  Excellent.  Set in early Texas.  bEST CURRENT MOVIES   KING KONG SKULL ISLAND.  DID ANYBODY SEE lA lA lAND?  iS IT ANY GOOD?  i DID LIKE mAMA MIA!  THE MUSICAL.   i HAVE RECORDED aPPALOOSA, RIDERS OF THRE pURPLE sAGE, tARZAN, LONESOME DOVE, ETC.  i AM A HUGE FAN OF zANE gREY ND lOUIS lAmOUR AND COLLECT THEM IN HARDBACK  i