Author Topic: International Holidays and Fun days  (Read 582 times)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
International Holidays and Fun days
« on: March 04, 2017, 07:29:43 AM »
Good morning everyone!!

This topic came up when I asked Ryan a question via pm. Since we do have our lovely friends from Australia (Ryan, Carly Rae) and from Europe (Anna, and....and....RATS! Forgot her name!! Please forgive me!!) I thought it would be culturally enriching to share some of the National and local holidays we all celebrate.

For instance, today in the town where I work, they are having a parade and events(?) through the downtown area to celebrate Dr. Seuss. They're encouraging everyone to read a book with a child.  ^-^ ^-^ I like that, since we've had some toddlers and kindergartners become very upset after they "swipe" the cover of a book.....and nothing changes.  >:( >:(

Some of the holidays we celebrate in the United States:

New Year's Day
Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday (Black civil rights activist...can't wait until we don't feel the need to put the "black on there.)
Ground Hog's Day
President's Day
Ash Wednesday
St. Patrick's Day
Good Friday
Easter
Memorial Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Child Abuse/Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Halloween
Veterans' Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas

There are various other days and celebrations that are informal, like Free Donut Day and Volunteer Appreciation Week. Americans feel the need to recognize every little thing...not sure if that's a good thing or not.....

Anyway, must get to work! Please add your holidays. Americans, fill in details on the above celebrations. Tell about ones that you miss (like Flag Day, Arbor Day and May Day) that we no longer celebrate. I'll update this evening.

;D Have Fun!!  ;D
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
Re: International Holidays and Fun days
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:41:19 AM »
the 4th of July is known as Independence Day.  I believe Australia also celebrates an Independence Day as well, but at a different time?

Wish I'd known about the Dr. Suess celebrations a little sooner, sometimes I miss working for a small company that worked with 9 different townships - I knew about things at least a month in advance (sometimes further out). 

I find it irritating that toddlers and kindergartners don't know what a book is.  I'm really glad we are working with our granddaughters.  In keeping with that, I'm now on the list to get some of the little pubs they send out w/ the kids and we will be ordering books now and then specific to Grace (6yrs) and Gwen (just turned 5 yrs).  Plus, I've gone a little crazy on my collecting books - I received BRAND NEW copies of Little Black, a Pony & Little Black goes to the Circus (by Walter Farley) so I DO have horse/pony based books that are/will be age appropriate for them when they are a tad older, LOL.  Trying to get my hands on some of the British & Australian pony stories!! 

Both Harnett & Moore counties do some celebrations for May Day and Arbor Day, but you are right, not commonly celebrated or recognized publicly.  Fayetteville used to do a HUGE May Day celebration where they had set ups from all cultures in the down town area - included demos (dancing/period dress), food vendors and of course, items from many different cultures.  Not sure if they still do that or not...

Even while in the Army, I don't remember ever celebrating/recognizing Flag Day.  Do you know when this one started?
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »
I googled Flag Day, and found the following information. I remember celebrating Flag Day much more as a young girl then I remember people doing now, but maybe the tradition will become more important now that Patriotism is re-establishing itself. I've always considered myself a Patriot, and have personally taught my kids about the holiday, but thought I'd share this information for those that might find it interesting.

In the United States, Flag Day is celebrated on June 14. It commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States, which happened on June 14, 1777, by resolution of the Second Continental Congress.[1] The United States Army also celebrates the U.S. Army Birthdays on this date; Congress adopted "the American continental army" after reaching a consensus position in the Committee of the Whole on June 14, 1775.[2][3]

In 1916, the president of the United States issued a proclamation that officially established June 14 as Flag Day; in August 1949, National Flag Day was established by an Act of Congress. Flag Day is not an official federal holiday. Title 36 of the United States Code, Subtitle I, Part A, CHAPTER 1, ยง 110[4] is the official statute on Flag Day; however, it is at the president's discretion to officially proclaim the observance. On June 14, 1937, Pennsylvania became the first U.S. state to celebrate Flag Day as a state holiday, beginning in the town of Rennerdale.[1] New York Statutes designate the second Sunday in June as Flag Day, a state holiday.[5]

Perhaps the oldest continuing Flag Day parade is in Fairfield, Washington.[6] Beginning in 1909 or 1910, Fairfield has held a parade every year since, with the possible exception of 1918, and celebrated the "Centennial" parade in 2010, along with some other commemorative events.

Appleton, Wisconsin, claims to be the oldest National Flag Day parade in the nation, held annually since 1950.[7] It was also named "Most Patriotic City in America" by AmericaTheBeautiful.com in 2008.[8]

Quincy, Massachusetts, has had an annual Flag Day parade since 1952 and claims it "is the longest-running parade of its kind in the nation."[9] The largest Flag Day parade is held annually in Troy, New York, which bases its parade on the Quincy parade and typically draws 50,000 spectators.[1][10] In addition, the Three Oaks, Michigan, Flag Day Parade is held annually on the weekend of Flag Day and is a three-day event and they claim to have the largest flag day parade in the nation as well as the oldest.[11]

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 06:08:40 PM »
Good thread Julie , We celebrate the following here In Victoria Australia , which is the state that i live.

I know our states here celebrate some holidays at different times of the year.

Australia Day- January
Labour Day - March
Good Friday - April
Anzac day- April 25th
Easter
Queens Birthday (June )
AFL Grand Final Day ( Victoria only)
Melbourne Cup Day
Christmas day
Boxing Day

The above are "Public Holidays" that we celebrate here. The two that I am most thankful for are " Australia Day" and "Anzac Day" and probably mean the most to me.

I agree with you all , sad to see Kids that are yet to speak know how to swipe an IPhone/Ipad/Smart Phone tablet.

If there was One Holiday that you thought would be worth celebrating , What would it be and what would it be called ?

For me, and not too sure what I would call it, but , id like a holiday that is celebrated right across the world where everyone put aside their differences for the day and got along with each other. Where the color of your skin, didnt matter , What you looked like in the mirror, doesn't matter, What your sexual orientation is , doesnt matter.

A day where we celebrate "Whats on the inside" being more important than whats on the outside.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »
If there was One Holiday that you thought would be worth celebrating , What would it be and what would it be called ?

For me, and not too sure what I would call it, but , id like a holiday that is celebrated right across the world where everyone put aside their differences for the day and got along with each other. Where the color of your skin, didnt matter , What you looked like in the mirror, doesn't matter, What your sexual orientation is , doesnt matter.

A day where we celebrate "Whats on the inside" being more important than whats on the outside.

I TOTALLY AGREE, RYAN!!!!  Couldn't have said it better myself!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'