Author Topic: scoops, tubs, buckets, oh my!  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
scoops, tubs, buckets, oh my!
« on: February 17, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
Just curious for those of you who feed supplements, doesn't matter what supplements... What do you do with the buckets and scoops after the supplements are gone? I feed a couple supplements on a regular basis, so have a fair size pile scoops and buckets, tubs and jars. Saving scoops is nice, as if something comes without a scoop, I have one available (now and then, they forget to put one in the package); also nice to have an assortment, as most are designed for full-size horses, so if you have a variety of sizes you just might have one the right size for scooping supplements for minis. [Have enough saved, that I started tossing them more recently.] The tubs and buckets usually end up in hubby's shop for nails, screws, garbage, etc. Today, I went through the scoop bin, it was more than full, sorted out a selection of different sizes to keep and the rest, well... The rest are going to the county library for their craft projects, I called the librarian and she was tickled to have the offer. So, the kitchen sink is full of scoops soaking in bleach water, to be rinsed, dried and hauled in next time I go. Also, have a couple buckets and tubs to go as well (the shop is full at the moment). [I also take them my paper grocery bags, as they use those for crafts too.] Part of me wishes supplement companies would give you the options of a tub for storage or a bag for refill, so I wouldn't have so many tubs and buckets to find a use or place for. So, what do you do with your scoops and tubs?
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: scoops, tubs, buckets, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:10:04 PM »
I used to buy a supplement that came in a blue "bucket" that was flat on the back side and rounded in front, and only about 9-10 inches high, but they had a metal handle that folded down.  I wound up using them as feed buckets which was great because they held a good portion of feed (which was in my feed shed) and I could fill each with a portion of feed for the different horses, and just dump them in the feeders in the stalls as I walked with my little red wagon, then stack the empties  once I dumped the feed in the stalls, and head back to the feed barn area.  Worked like a charm.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:18:37 AM »
For a long time I used supplements that came in heavier buckets and I reused those when setting up feeds.  Same as Diane, I could walk out to the group of ponies and empty pre-set feeds to each pony and then restack the buckets and return to the barn to set them up for the next feed.  Got a supplement (can't remember any more which one) in a 5 gallon bucket - just had the last green 5 gallon bucket crack and "die".  :(  I think it was close to 20 yrs old. 

Come to think of it, the feed buckets I purchased up in MT have lasted longer than any feedbucket purchased recently.  Had to rescue a pony the other day.  She had stood up in the bucket - and went right thru it with both fore legs.  I just purchased that bucket last summer, so not even a full year old yet...

When the kids were young - we did toy, crayon & craft storage.  Didn't do anything crafty like covering them, just used them.

used them for container gardening.  Now, most supplement buckets aren't large enough or heavy enough for that - they'd collapse under the weight of the dirt!

We don't have trash service, so we haul trash to the dump.  Plastic buckets go in my recycle bags and go into the recycle bins when we go to the dump.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:24:25 AM »
Lately - I've found that the buckets that come holding toys (Lincoln logs, Konnects (spell?), Legos) aren't in heavy enough buckets or containers to carry/hold them during NORMAL 3 -8 yr old little people play.  Our 6 yr old granddaughter came to us with some cuts on her foot - caused by a Lego bucket that was out w/ her 4 yr old sister while playing and that she stepped on while running.  The container broke into a zillion pieces - two of which penetrated her foot.

Not a safe situation, I don't think.  I've really started looking at some of the toys and other products and they "JUST AREN"T MADE like they used to be"...  yea, I know, the same old saying!!  It sounds so weird to REALLY think that way!

Should know better than hopping on here before work, no longer have time for a quick shower!  OOPS! Gotta run.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:17:53 PM »
Any new ideas for what to do with all those empty supplement buckets and tubs?  Just thought I'd dig up this old thread, and see if any of the newer members have any suggestions.   
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »
I use mine for quite a few things.

The actually come in handy in the shed too for screws and bolts & many other things. I have one for my clothes pegs. They make good feed buckets for the minis too.

I know your not into gardening , so this last suggestion will be pretty useless, But I use one to harvest grape tomatoes and other veggies and I also use them when Im pulling weeds out of the garden :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »
I know this is almost two years old, but just curious, if anyone else has uses for supplement tubs and scoops.   I keep getting more and more.  Although, it does seem there are more supplements coming in resealable bags now, rather than tubs/buckets.  I like the idea of an option between a tub to set on a shelf and a bag for a refill, so you don't end up with so many buckets.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 10:10:26 PM »
Maybe someone in your quilting group may have use for some of them ?

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 11:01:52 PM »
Maybe someone in your quilting group may have use for some of them ?

That could be a thought.  Not sure how they might be used in that capacity, but can check it out.
Chanda
HC Minis