Author Topic: Whats your thoughts?  (Read 771 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Whats your thoughts?
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
Okay so when i weaned meadow, i kept them separate for about two weeks. When i put them back, she did not seem to suckle so i left them as the herd. Charms lady sacks deflated and are still down and flappy..i suspect they won't go right down for a while (and if shes pregnant not at all) but she still has a very thin clear liquid coming out.

Tonight i put her an meadow in the CCTV stable, so i could see for SURE she won't suckle. She has attempted to once or twice, but charm has quite forcefully told her NO. So shes not tried much again.

Is the fluid normal, or because shes still got Meadow trying her, and around?

Meadow doesn't tend to spend much time with Charm, if any, but they do groom now and then and M will copy her if she does something interesting (like eat a random log) so i think socially they need to be together because Charms wonderful disposition is a really good influence - she had got a bit scatty when she was just with Thriller because he can tend to be a little scatty but has been a little calmer since being back in full herd.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Whats your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 06:18:10 PM »
I'm going to say it's fine, especially if she's had any stimulation to her bag.  I don't see this as a problem, and since momma is forcefully saying no, it will disappear in a while.  As long as the bag has no "heat" to it, everything sounds pretty normal.   ;)
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
Yeah that's what I thought too :)

Gave meadow her first vaccinations today and now I'm watching Cctv to make sure she doesn't have any reactions! This life is scary lol

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »

Shots are no fun!  Praying everything goes just fine!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »
Well we've not had any major atrocities that I can see! She was normal this morning and went out as usual. I'll give her another good check in the morning inc temp

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 06:45:46 PM »
Charm still has milk! Her and meadow have been apart for a few weeks now. Charms still quite attached to her also, and I worry new foal will not bond as well with her? Am I being paranoid? Lol

Offline Ryan

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:57:00 PM »
I think the foal will bond fine with Charm, if anything , Meadow might be the one wondering who this new kid on the block is :)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:05:11 AM »
I agree with both Diane and Ryan.  Charm should be fine when she foals. 

When she starts "bagging up" for the new little one's pending birth, then I would separate her from Meadow - both to keep Charm from having to say "NO" and to keep Meadow from getting any of the first milk (though colostrum is the last to develop just before foaling, I believe).  Keep the new pair separate after foaling for a bit (3 days to several weeks), then re-introduce Meadow to the new grouping...  You may find that Charm is one who will let Meadow go back to nursing.  I've had a couple over the years that will allow previous years' foals to nurse along with the current one, once past the first couple of weeks and turned out together again.  All we had to do was increase that mares' feed to accommodate the extra milk she was putting out (Looked like milk cows with HUGE bags).

What kind of vaccinations do you give there and how many at one time (since you used plural)?  It's so fascinating to hear of the differences in different areas of our own United States as well as anyone over seas...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:29:16 PM »
They're separated and have been for weeks I didn't want meadow getting the first milk but she's still milking so I worried she wouldn't get any colostrum in at all??

We give equine flu and Tetnus only. We have herpes vaccs too but not many give it because so many mares aborted foals.

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »
She won't produce colostrum til very near birth, so by separating her and meadow it will give her bag a chance to do what it will do. 
When is her due date? If it's within 6-8 weeks you may not see her udder regress before its time to build again.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 06:27:05 AM »
She's due July