Author Topic: Exercise  (Read 1952 times)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Exercise
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
Only 0.6 pounds lost today, but I'm still happy with that!

You know, this could be a l...o...n...g... thread before it's done, but I think it will be grand!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 05:08:37 PM »
Glad to hear its becoming easier on the body Holly. It will get easier by the day :)

I took myself for a 5km walk last night , its about all that I can manage at the moment. I actually feel so good ( touch wood) that I wanna break out into a run or dance like no ones watching in the kitchen , just worried ill regret it if my coccyx starts hurting again.

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »
Ryan, I broke my tailbone about 10 yrs ago doing the Kwon do. It was terrible. Took years before I could sit right. I so understand how difficult that can be.
Today we ended our first week. We did an AB workout with a small ball, and did some leg an arm work outs. The squats are the hardest on me. My thighs are feeling better though! We also did a mile bike ride,and a1/2 mile walk.
I've lost a lb so only gained 2 from starting.
I am blessed to have a friend to do this with. I don't think I could do it alone!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
Holly I didn't see this until now. I can totally feel your pain. How long after were you able to ride again ? If I wasnt so keen to get back into the saddle , I would prob just put up with the pain.  Its been going on for 18 months now and Ive just had the 2nd cortisone injection that Im allowed. Ive been trying to accomplish as much as possible at home by doing as little as possible.  Being so limited has been really quite depressing , even when I last went to my general practitioner Dr the last time he asked if I wanted to try some antidepressant tablets , to which I declined. I asked him why I would need these and he said that back and tailbone injuries can be very depressing due to limited movement and that the recovery is quite looooooonnnnnngggggg.

I have been walking alot as I am at my best when standing. Ive even avoided driving as much as possible of late and when the days over Im laying on the couch instead of sitting.

Ill have to go back to the surgeon in the next month or so to find out what the next options are. It will be about 8 weeks since the injection so If it hasnt kicked in by then , I doubt it will.

Ive walked about 15kms over the last week, just at a nice slow pace.

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »
You're doing better in the walking department than I am Ryan!  I've done quite a bit of ground driving with Spanky, back and forth to his turnout from the barn. About 45 minutes a day of in hand work total. I don't count it as "exercise" though, as I move as fast as a herd of turtles in a peanut butter marsh. (I procured this saying from a t-shirt I saw someone wearing!)

I have, however, been doing alternative exercise. Today, for example, we made an unplanned 400 mile round trip. On the return portion of it, I did arm lifts, modified stomach crunches, and I'm not sure WHAT you'd call what I did with my legs. Since I was the driver, I just did tiny leg lifts. I also did thigh squeezes, rump lifts and some weird butterfly leg movements. The point was to move SOMETHING to every song on the DVD. Not surprisingly since I'm so out of shape, I feel every muscle. We've only been home an hour, so tomorrow should be......challenging....to say the least.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:41 PM »
LOL thats a great Tshirt Julie. :)

Every little bit counts.  The body definitely feels it the day after :)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 04:13:41 AM »
I really don't remember how long it took but I do remember it was a very long time. And for years after certain sitting positions would aggravate it. I took up riding several years later, and don't recall riding ever hurting my tailbone. It could be were our individual breaks were. I did not break the tip it was higher up. It's been ten plus years ago and hasn't bothered me in a long time. I was younger had younger kids and most likely healed faster than I would now. I wish I could give you a better time frame.
I've lost 2 lbs. Have been doing very little this week my friend is having congestion issues and I can't commit to a morning routine until after precious foals, so I am squeezing in a few short workouts here and there.
I love the idea of your alternative workouts! That's really quite clever!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 09:13:53 AM »
You would think horse chores would be good exercise, and keep us fit, but it doesn't seem to be enough.  Although, I'm sure my snacking works very much against me.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
I really don't remember how long it took but I do remember it was a very long time. And for years after certain sitting positions would aggravate it. I took up riding several years later, and don't recall riding ever hurting my tailbone. It could be were our individual breaks were. I did not break the tip it was higher up. It's been ten plus years ago and hasn't bothered me in a long time. I was younger had younger kids and most likely healed faster than I would now. I wish I could give you a better time frame.
I've lost 2 lbs. Have been doing very little this week my friend is having congestion issues and I can't commit to a morning routine until after precious foals, so I am squeezing in a few short workouts here and there.
I love the idea of your alternative workouts! That's really quite clever!
Great to hear you are no longer feeling any pain from it.  I have my fingers crossed im heading in that direction :) ( well eventually anyway)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
You would think horse chores would be good exercise, and keep us fit, but it doesn't seem to be enough.  Although, I'm sure my snacking works very much against me.

Theres gotta be alot of miles/kilometers that we do daily, Some days I would have to do 5 kms just walking around home , doing jobs.    My snacking doesnt help either  :(

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
Snacking I think is the "death" of most of us!  LOL
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 07:21:25 PM »
Really rough, old drawing of the corrals.  The house is about 75-100' off to the right end of this picture (as you look at it); each corral is 50x100'.  the mares are in the pen marked mini pen; Topper is in the one marked Dakota's; Baybe, Tilly and Che` are in the big open faced shelter; and the geldings are 100' or more past the mini pen in their pen (the saddle horses are 50' past that).  I walk from the house to the mini pen (and back) at least twice daily, and from there to the gelding pen. 
I should really get a pedometer and see just how many miles I walk a day.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »
I wonder if there have ever been any studies done with something along these lines:

Walking a set distance daily doing (for example) Chanda's chores vs. walking that same total daily distance with THE MIND FOCUSED ON THIS IS A WORKOUT.

I wonder if walking with the intention of exercise makes the brain fire off different signals and chemicals that burn off different types of energy producing cells...for example fat cells vs. muscle cells.

A GOLD STAR to all who read this and it makes sense to you!! ROFL
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 06:00:18 AM »
I read it, and understand what you're saying.  Don't have any answers for you, but it's an interesting thought. Especially, since the mind has such control over certain things. Interesting.....

Offline Ryan

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
It is a very interesting thought :)