Author Topic: Lousy start to April...  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Lousy start to April...
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:08:49 PM »
Was supposed to be a lousy end to March, but weather postpone the vet a few days.  [She was coming out to test bulls, so that needs to be done in warmer weather, or they don't test so great.]

I made the tough decision to euthanize two horses this spring.
First was my lovely mare, Caddy, not 100% certain what she had, but she was going down hill pretty fast.   She had gotten sick while pregnant with her daughter 7 years ago, which gave her a moderate case of laminitis, just when we thought we were getting her over it and controlled, she got sick again, and a reoccurance happened along with it came some arthritis.   It was getting harder to keep her comfortable and decent weight on her, so I made the best decision I could for her.
The second, my "rescue" gelding, Jasper, he had Cushings, despite being a somewhat young horse when diagnosed; but since Cushing's is fueled by stress, his poor horsekeeping early on didn't help him any. [He was given to me, after his mini pasture mate was killed in a mixed sized herd pasture accident.  I heard two different stories, but this is the first I heard, so most likely the truth.]  He was decently controlled by medication, and had good hooves until sometime in 2015 when he did have a mild  bout of laminitis and I just couldn't quite get his hooves back to as normal as I would have liked.  He wasn't thrilled with his special diet, special supplements, medication, and drylotting (he could only go out with the other geldings for a few weeks during the whole year). 
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Lousy start to April...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 11:17:52 PM »
I'm so sorry you had to make two such hard decisions, but I know how hard they are to make. You are one of the most caring owners I know, and I know the decisions you made were hard, but "sound".  I hope you will have peace that you gave them good lives and they knew they were loved. 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:22:12 PM »
Thank you, Diane.
It was a very tough decision that I struggled with for some time before the appointment was made.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Renée

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 01:26:16 AM »
I am so sorry to hear that Chanda, it is a very tough decision that only a loving and caring owner makes. They are running free now.
Sending a big hug

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 05:21:34 AM »
So hard to make these decisions. I fully believe though if they can not be a horse due to illness or discomfort they need put down its just cruel otherwise. Last year my
Mare had lameness and I thought it was Lami and she was in for 2 months and barely any time out and if she was she was muzzled and not allowed to eat. It was just awful. I was considering pts myself I just could not keep her that way. Wasn't Lami though! Thank god. After a physio she was 100% back to normal.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:00:11 AM »
Thanks guys, it helps to know others have made the same decision.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 11:17:12 AM »
Chanda, I am sorry you had to make that decision, but agree you did the right thing.
 Ive not had to make that decision with a horse, but I do have an eldery dog, our beloved Max who is a german shepherd mix, he is 15 yrs old. Off and on he has had times where he is in pain, hips are going bad, he rests for days on the couch. I give him some very good supplements that help, and manage his pain. Sense I started the supplements he has improved tremendously, and is almost back to normal. He even has an appetite again. I know  someday I may have to make that choice and it breaks my heart. But Love can be tough....
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 07:24:17 PM »
Sorry to read this Chanda. I have one horse myself that im starting to realize Im going to have to come to that decision shortly. Its sad to see your fur kids go down hill.

Ive always said to myself though, when any of my horse are not enjoying quality of life, then its time. Id rather know they are enjoying time over the rainbow bridge with all that lush grass than in any pain.

Hoping May is the start of better things for you Chanda :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 10:34:42 PM »
Hopefully, May will bring foals, colorful foals (well, not likely pinto or appy, but colorful none the less).
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Anna

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 05:47:33 AM »
So sorry to hear your news Chanda, it never gets any easier does it, but it is the very last act of love that we can do for all our beloved animal pals.

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 06:44:01 PM »
<3

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:00:07 PM »
Same vein, so...

Say a little prayer for my bum calf, he bloated today, we got it reduced once, but he filled again some.   He's looking tough, but holding his own for right now.   I'm doubting he'll make it, but I haven't given up.  I've taken his milk bottle out and his electrolyte bottle out and offered them to him twice this afternoon; he's taken in about a pint of each total, which isn't near enough, but it's something.  I know he hurts, but there isn't a whole lot we can do.  He's not been the healthiest calf from the get go, so a bit of a surprise he's still here in the first place. 
Thanks.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Lnight89

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
:( thinking and praying <3

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 10:24:14 PM »
 ;pray ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 02:18:19 AM »
Thanks.  We'll let you know in the morning.  This evening's thunderstorm and power outage didn't help a thing.  Power was out at least 3 hours, fell asleep.
 Supper was slim pickings, luckily the roast in the crock pot was done when the power went out, so had it with buttered bread.
Chanda
HC Minis