Author Topic: Texas Freeze!  (Read 584 times)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Texas Freeze!
« on: January 07, 2017, 01:28:15 PM »
Lol this is a sight I don't see in my barn often!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Texas Freeze!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »
I bet you don't.
I see that nearly everyday for 4-5 months, depending on the year; plus extra days for a couple more months.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »
I was thinking, how can I prevent this, then I thought, I already have, I live in Texas! Lol.... Only one more night then temps start to rise again.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:00:45 PM »
I bet you don't.
I see that nearly everyday for 4-5 months, depending on the year; plus extra days for a couple more months.

It's this ^^^^^^^^^^ that keeps me from moving back to Elk City, Idaho. Even though the Red River Hot Springs is the BEST temptation. And the beautiful mountains. And the forests. And elk, moose, trout, log cabins, nature, nature, nature!! I just can't deal with winter outside of it's assigned calendar dates of 21 December-21 March.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:29:02 PM »
I'd be back home in New York in a minute, if these wonderful Grandchildren would be as close as most of them are now.  But since, my 3 boys and their families love Florida....here I'll stay and just visit home when I get a chance.  Haven't been home now in several years, but am thinking  trip might be in order this spring if we're not too busy here on the forum watching these precious ladies!

Tonight's temperature here in southern Florida will be 37 degrees, with a wind-chill of 15 degrees.  Then tomorrow 58 during the day, and 40 at night. Then Monday it starts warming up again during the day to 68 Monday, 72 Tuesday and back to 78-81 for the rest of the week, but I do get the pleasure of some cooler nights in the 40's - 50's for the whole upcoming week.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
Re: Texas Freeze! Apparentely NC too
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:50:51 AM »
Good morning everyone. Just came in from spending the last hour and twenty minutes defrosting the water line to our travel trailer.   :o :o I've learned that 3 hours of temperatures at 12 degrees are low enough to freeze 5' of exposed water line. I WAS WRONG when I told my husband we didn't need to leave the faucet trickling 'cause I'm up every three hours anyway. (During cold weather I drink a 1/2 bottle of water at 10 p.m. since I know it will wake me in about 3 hours. Every time I get up, I drink at least another 1/2 bottle. Nifty alarm...yes??  ::) ::) What's best is that it doesn't bother anyone else. )

Oh wonderful!! As I'm typing this, the water has returned to the kitchen sink!! Now we're almost back to normal. Just need to get the hot water line running. I didn't know that we had an exposed line, so will definitely be taking care of that today. I'll also be checking the big trailer after it warms up a bit. Never mind, just checked the forecast and we will only be above freezing for 1 hour today...between 3:00 and 4:00.  :'(

So how did I defrost the line you ask? Couldn't do what we did when I was a kid in MN and use the blow dryer. Instead I used the space heater!! Yes, you heard right. I stood outside with my finger over the safety switch and held that little space heater to the lines until I got that water running.  >:D >:D Since it involved bending over for 45 minutes, I'm counting that as my lunges exercises for today.

Now......to admit that I was WRONG to my husband........ ;pray
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:09:42 AM »
LOL!!!

Wonderful idea for defrosting!   Cold again here today, too.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'