Author Topic: Teeth?  (Read 679 times)

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Teeth?
« on: December 22, 2016, 05:15:16 PM »
Anyone offer advice? I've always read and been told foal teeth should be white. Like very white. Meadows have never been - always quite stained. I wonder is this a lack of something diet wise or body wise? Any thoughts?

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Teeth?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:59:37 PM »
Okay, well I feel next to useless.  I have scanned through hundreds of pictures looking for "teeth" of little ones around weaning age.  I've found them several months later, and I don't see any where the teeth were pearly white.  All my pictures look pretty much like the one you're showing.

I think it's just fine, but will certainly stand corrected if someone knows something different!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »
I think normal also, I don't think they stay white long munching on grass and hay 😃
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:35:21 PM »
Ive always found them quite stained..but then she was eating from a few days old lol

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 10:03:44 PM »
I don't have pics like yours. But I'm pretty sure that our babies look the same as Meadow's do.  I'll check tomorrow and see if I can get some pics for you...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 12:22:36 PM »
I don't ever remember seeing them pearly white either after the initial eruption. Even then, if they'd had any damage or scratches to the gum line, they'd come in with dark spots or stains.

Really, in this internet age, I believe we have a tendency to overthink things with our critters. We forget that they're not small humans and our normal isn't theirs. Don't get me wrong please, I'm not downplaying the significance of animals in our lives and current culture. I'm only giving a gentle reminder that nature has it's own balance. Humans can affect that balance, unfortunately it's frequently for the negative. Yet nature will always find a way to make it a balance.

As long as she's happy, eating well, not dropping feed, doesn't have stinky breath and isn't head shy, I'd say this is her normal.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!