Author Topic: experience w/ home made brews?  (Read 737 times)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
experience w/ home made brews?
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
As you know, I was sick in November.  I did go to the DR and started getting better almost immediately.  I was told that it could take 2-4 months to actually completely get over bronchitis.  ??? !!!!  I finished the cough syrup 2 weeks ago - the hard coughing is back, but don't think budget will stand up to another scrip of that...

Now, I've got the start of my "normal" sinus stuff.  A cold, if u will, for now.  I started trying OTC meds - but since can no longer get pseudoephedrine easily, and the stuff I was using seemed to be making me "worse" (side effects), I've stopped.  For the sinus headache - a hot, dry compress.  Blowing my nose.  Steam via shower, hot water to drink, hot broth/soups.  Vicks on chest, hot compress on lower back when can't get warm (no fever according to thermometer).

I don't have all the ingredients to do some different "natural" concoctions and Larry is NOT thrilled I'm even looking at some of these different recipes.  Currently drinking LOTs of water (both iced and hot) - sometimes flavored w/ honey, cinnamon & lemon juice (or lemon wedges).  Craving oranges, lemons & tomatoes and glad we have access - for the first time we ordered a case of oranges and the whole thing is actually gone BEFORE Christmas (mostly by me!) - none to chickens or compost.  Very unusual... 

So anyone use/make Elderberry syrup, Master Tonic, Fire Tonic, Onion poultice?  What about essential oils?  Other brews, tonics that you would suggest a "newby" start with before going "hard-core homesteader" products?  What has worked for you - in the sinus department and in the chest department.  I'm tired of the debilitating headache (close to but not a migraine) and passing out from hard coughing...

I do realize that just like other drugs, there are different reactions or non-reactions.  Just looking to know if anyone I "know" has used any of this type of product and how it has worked for you.

Seriously looking into getting the ingredients for Master Tonic right now and making it up.  For best results it has to sit for at least two weeks, but could puree part of the mix and use it right away... 

Larry doesn't support my interest in essential oils or these "new" recipes and these days that really undermines my confidence- especially when I'm not feeling well.  So looking for how it works and pointers...  It would be soooo nice to have this god-awful cough at least a little quiet again for Christmas Eve.  I will have to drive myself to our daughter's like I did at Thanksgiving and don't want to drive off the road again like I did then.  Scared the be-jeebers out of me.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Ryan

Re: experience w/ home made brews?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:28:48 PM »
Im sorry to hear that this " bug" is starting to return again Paula.  You must be absolutely "Over it" 

I think your best bet is to go back to the Dr and ask for another script. Especially if you started to feel better almost immediately. I havent heard of the master Tonic , but Id definitely give it a go if it was a chance to get rid of that awful cough you have been dealing with.

In regards to Homemade brews, Not sure I can offer anything that would help other than to say I would be doubling up on my veggie intake to try and boost the immune system.

Hope your starting to feel better soon

Have a great Christmas

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 09:20:31 PM »
Don't know about a "Master Tonic" -- don't know what's in it.  But sorry you're feeling under the weather again.  Hope to hear you are well soon!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:53:53 AM »
Thanks to both of you!

I was hoping someone had some experience using these on the forum...  Ah well.

Basically the Master Tonic is a formula of herbs/roots covered with raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and allowed to steep in a dark area (back of a cupboard) - shaken regularly to shift ingredients and allow complete flow around of the ACV.  Sitting minimum of 2 weeks to steep, then liquid is poured off and taken.  Can be strained all at once or left to steep a bit longer.

Ingredients: garlic, turmeric, onion, pepper (chili, habanero etc), horseradish, ginger - layered in glass jar and covered w/ ACV.  Dosages start "lite" - about a tsp and over time go up to a shot glass 1x a day for a preventative or up to 6 shot glasses a day when actually sick.  Packs a punch, obviously.  Some say don't dilute with water or honey (before, with or after) others say - OK, can.

I have also found a recipe that is similar but is fermented rather than a tonic.  And the Fire Cider is also a bit different... 

I'm not allergic to any of those items, tho not a big "hot pepper" fan.  Would think just the "heat" would give a good run for clearing up sinus stuff, LOL.  I will be making it, just really wanted to know if anyone else had ever tried or was using any of these things.  I understand that they are a mainstay with the "prepper" and "homesteading" movements now...  I was VERY surprised with some research to find that all of those ingredients are considered to be some form of anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, or pain relieving and that many are the basis of OTC meds now!  I have long used most of these in one recipe or another, but did not know this.

Just a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon in a shot glass, then filled w/ honey and heated a little in the microwave (careful - too long and it explodes making one whale of a mess.  Ask me how I know :)  ) goes a long way towards soothing a sore throat and helping with the cough.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »
I am wondering if fresh home made smoothies would also help your immune system. 
Keifer may also be something to consider.
Hope your better soon!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »
Spirulina is supposed to be an immune boost.   I've given it to my horses but not taken it myself.   You can find it in health food stores and drug stores; and then herb places as well.   springtime, Inc has wafers for horses and tablets for people.  [Tablets would probably be easier to take, as the powder goes airborne easily.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
I'm a big fan of Echinacea myself.  I made my kids take it faithfully while they were away at school, and in all the years they were in school, only Katy had a bad cold ONCE!

So having raised a "herd" of children, I swear by it!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 10:01:28 PM »
Holly - Thanx.  I have been doing something like smoothies for a while.  I have a Nutri-bullet and make spinach, berry, banana fruit drinks.  Have done different fruits, nuts & oils added.  Currently - just looking at the NB makes me turn a bit green - instead I've gone a bit crazy on both whole fruits and fruit juice (mostly some form of cranberry)...

Chanda - will have to look into Spirulina.  I'd heard of it, but haven't tried or really looked into that one yet.

Diane - I plan on planting and harvesting our own Echinacea ourselves next year.  I know that somewhere I have a bag of it around but not sure where.  There is the possibility that I put it in the compost pile due to it's age - I wasn't using it regularly and it was a HUGE bag from a friend several years ago.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 12:32:40 PM »
I'm following this thread with interest, as I've always wanted to use holistic methods. I've not used some of the resources I've acquired in 2016. Between the move, getting set up, the hurricane and the arrival of our niece, I've let circumstances control me instead of controlling my circumstances.

Anyway, I need to send Paula a plan for an upright trickle feed garden that I think will work for herbs. I'm liking this thread A LOT!!  Anyone who wants to share the properties of common plants feel free to do so. As I learn, I will share too.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!