Author Topic: Anyone have experience....  (Read 913 times)

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
Anyone have experience....
« on: December 20, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »
with Canine pregnancy??

Turns out that Daisy may be bred.  :( I am not happy about this , But will deal with it if she is...

I noticed after Daisy was her a few days that she had some swelling around her teats and they are very pink. (They seem more swollen now than the first day I noticed.)  So I did some research and seems she has a lot of the symptoms of early to mid pregnancy. I talked to previous owner and she said she was in heat around thanksgiving.  She said she didnt think she was around an intact male.  But couldnt be positive as she goes to classes during the day and her mom could have let her out...
So right now I am waiting to see if she continues to make changes and if need be I will take her to the vet after the holidays if I am still unsure.
Its been years sense I have whelped out a dog, and would really appreciate sharing the developments with yall to help me figure out if she is bred. The whelping process I can handle, but determining early pregnancy in a maiden bitch, and trying to figure out just how far along she is, if she is.

I am going to add a pic of her tummy/ teats and see what yall think.   The difficult part is I dont know what she looked like previously so have nothing to compare to. 
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
Re: Anyone have experience....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 06:32:23 PM »
Hate to say it, but thats not the boobies of a non bred dog! The fact it is symmetrical confirms this too.

So uh....happy whelping!

Any idea what pops is? Or could it just be a random?

Offline Anna

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:16:26 AM »
Looks to me as though you may have puppies on the way, but I dont remember seeing boobie filling this early with my girls - maybe the vague dates you have been given are a week or so out? Also too early for a false pregnancy so, yes, I'm betting on pups mid to late January.   ;)
Do keep us updated.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »
If she was in heat at Thanksgiving, figure about 60 days from then, but sounds like the prior owner didn't really know much, so I'd guess you'll be seeing pups around the 3rd week of January or so.  Some of the bigger breeds start showing nipple and filling signs earlier than the little breeds, but she will grow rounder and rounder in these last few weeks as the puppies start really gaining weight in utero.

Never bred this breed, but have bred several other big breeds.  Normally they do just fine, but you do get the occasional butt-first breech pup that she may need a little help with.  So, we've got another little momma to watch!!  We'll love pics as we await these new little ones!  Can't wait to see "what" she bred to!  LOL
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 10:13:50 AM »
Thanks so much yall.
No idea on who the sire could be, only possibility she mentioned anything about is a mini schnauzer that was fixed around that time, but she really thinks before....
I have a fetal doppler ( for human pregnancies) and used it successfully on dogs in the past. I tried to see if I could find heartbeats but only came up with movement sounds ( could be gut) and swooshing of possible placenta. I will keep trying.
Ive been doping a lot of research, and it seems that it is possible she could be having a false pregnancy too. So unless I get a positive sign of life, that cant be ruled out.
 In the meantime I am trying to figure out a safe place to whelp her out, probably inside my laundry room. and move them out to the barn when they are older.
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »
I wouldn't worry.  Just watch her, as these girls seem to get very large, and let you know ahead of time.  They get large, and get their milk in, and then they seem to go!  I'm sure she (and you) will do fine!

Can't wait to see the little ones!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:40:46 AM »
She is starting to eat a bit better, I talked to vet yesterday on phone and they suggested waiting til after the holidays, bring her in then for a US if I still am unsure.
So I will continue to watch and wait...
live barn camera link:

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
Well pretty sure this was all a false alarm!
live barn camera link:

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
What were the signs? Is she coming into season? Boobies shrank? Vet check said no??? You can't just say "false alarm" all calm like and not give details!! Shame on you!! *finger wagging and laughing*
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 03:26:50 PM »
What she said!!! Come on Holly!!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
We need updated pictures from the back and the full side right down at her level.

I'm not giving up yet, these vets are wrong tooooooo often!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
O u guys, that was a necessary laugh!!

OK, Holly, more details - puuuurrrrtttyyy please??????
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
Lol!! Ok so I have a human fetal Doppler for heart beats, and if she is bred she should be 4-5 weeks, and in the past I've heard heart beats b 35-40 days. As well as feeling bumps in the uterus. I've heard and felt nothing. Her belly is no bigger at all. So if she is bred, she will have a tiny litter. But my guess is she's not. Which I feel is great news!!
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 06:32:39 AM »
LOL!!!