Author Topic: Foodie Thread  (Read 6234 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Re: Foodie Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2017, 09:59:26 PM »
I think its known as Arugula there :)  Its a peppery leaf thats great in salads and pasta
Ok, I've heard of Arugula, but not sure if I've eaten it.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2017, 10:34:43 PM »
I really like it but I would say its an acquired taste.

Arugula , Sliced Pear and Sliced Parmesan makes the quickest salad. For a dressing I just add a tablespoon of lemon juice and a little olive oil. Ive added cooked chicken and also smoked salmon and it was really good. The other night I served it with a scotch fillet steak and that was great too :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2017, 10:36:39 PM »
I really like it but I would say its an acquired taste.

Arugula , Sliced Pear and Sliced Parmesan makes the quickest salad. For a dressing I just add a tablespoon of lemon juice and a little olive oil. Ive added cooked chicken and also smoked salmon and it was really good. The other night I served it with a scotch fillet steak and that was great too :)
I buy the lettuce mixes, and I'm pretty sure it's in a few of those.  Shayne doesn't eat salad, and I don't always get through a head of lettuce before its been in the fridge too long, so I buy the pre-mixes and get a variety when I do buy "salad"
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »
I had a go at making the chutney with some of the apples and Nashi pears I grew and It turned out great.

Found a recipe online that I used and everyone that has tried it , loved it.

Someone that tried it thought it would be good as a sweet with a biscuit crumb on top and covered in whipped cream , sounds good to me :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2017, 08:53:35 PM »
Great!  You'll have to share the recipe, and I'll compare it to the ones I have.  Always looking for something better!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
I did a piece of Pork belly in the oven on the weekend and we had it in tortilla bread with salad and some of the homemade chutney I made. Diane Ill put the recipe up for it (chutney) tomorrow :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2017, 05:38:01 AM »
Thanks!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2017, 07:36:33 AM »
I couldn't resist the purchase of Australian Lamb Chops! So...RYAN, RYAN, RYYYYYYYYYAAAAANNNNNN!! Quick, help!! What are some simple ways to prepare these chops?

I'm afraid to look for any recipes that might me too "froo, froo" since Ingrid is very, very hesitant to try anything new. I have the typical salt, pepper, onions, tomato, garlic, dried herbs like oregano, thyme, rosemary and fresh mint (still growing in it's cinderblock planter, I'm SO proud of it!!)

Would it be alright just lightly fried in olive oil with salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of mint?? Thanks Aussie Friend!!

Edited to add results:

What I ended up doing with my lovely lamb chops....I DID lightly fry them. I had five, so used about 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter into a heated cast iron skillet. Med-high heat, and when I could smell the olive oil bloom, added the chops. I'd rubbed them with fresh ground sea salt and black pepper while waiting on the oil to heat. Fried for 3-4 minutes, then turned them and added sliced onion. Fried 3-4 minutes more then onto the serving platter they went. I garnished with fresh mint. (Have I said before that I love my mint plant??  :-* ) LOL

We stayed very simple, this was the first time for my niece to have lamb. I haven't had it since I was a child, so was a bit leery of my own cooking.  ::)

I made Jasmine rice as a side, and we had mango slices. Served the lamb on a bed of rice, with a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar. Yummy, yummy, in our tummies!

I'll still expect some helpful mutton recipes though. Our local store is carrying quite a bit right now (Easter??) and I'm trying to expand our diets.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2017, 11:03:05 PM »
Sorry im only seeing this Now Julie :)

I hope Ingrid enjoyed them :)  Out of curiosity , How much did you pay for them , if you dont mind me asking. Lamb is very expensive here :(

I have a great recipe if you ever come across a Leg of lamb. The one I do is in the slow cooker. Dont think i would ever do Lamb in the oven again after having it in the slow cooker. It melts in your mouth and theres always plenty of left overs  to use in other recipes :) 

let me know If you would like the recipe and Ill post it , its basic and not alot of Ingredients :)

I made a chicken farmhouse casserole on the weekend ( just the McCormick packet) I doubled it as I had 2kg of chicken thigh fillets. I added some fresh Thyme and basil to the recipe and it was very nice. There was plenty of left overs that went straight into the freezer.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2017, 12:50:53 AM »
I hope Ingrid enjoyed them :)  Out of curiosity , How much did you pay for them , if you dont mind me asking. Lamb is very expensive here :(

I have a great recipe if you ever come across a Leg of lamb. The one I do is in the slow cooker. Dont think i would ever do Lamb in the oven again after having it in the slow cooker. It melts in your mouth and theres always plenty of left overs  to use in other recipes :) 

No idea what lamb goes for, but just a little bit of a funny story about cooking lamb...   Shortly out of college, I worked at a USDA sheep research station, literally 1000s of head of sheep.   One of my co-workers decided to make us lamb cabbage rolls; even though we were surrounded by sheep, due to regulations, he had to drive 40-50 miles to the nearest town with a decent grocery store and buy the lamb for the recipe.   And, for my first try of lamb and any type of cabbage rolls, they weren't half bad.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2017, 12:57:56 AM »
I couldn't resist the purchase of Australian Lamb Chops! So...RYAN, RYAN, RYYYYYYYYYAAAAANNNNNN!! Quick, help!! What are some simple ways to prepare these chops?

I'm afraid to look for any recipes that might me too "froo, froo" since Ingrid is very, very hesitant to try anything new. I have the typical salt, pepper, onions, tomato, garlic, dried herbs like oregano, thyme, rosemary and fresh mint (still growing in it's cinderblock planter, I'm SO proud of it!!)

Would it be alright just lightly fried in olive oil with salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of mint?? Thanks Aussie Friend!!

Edited to add results:

What I ended up doing with my lovely lamb chops....I DID lightly fry them. I had five, so used about 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and butter into a heated cast iron skillet. Med-high heat, and when I could smell the olive oil bloom, added the chops. I'd rubbed them with fresh ground sea salt and black pepper while waiting on the oil to heat. Fried for 3-4 minutes, then turned them and added sliced onion. Fried 3-4 minutes more then onto the serving platter they went. I garnished with fresh mint. (Have I said before that I love my mint plant??  :-* ) LOL

We stayed very simple, this was the first time for my niece to have lamb. I haven't had it since I was a child, so was a bit leery of my own cooking.  ::)

I made Jasmine rice as a side, and we had mango slices. Served the lamb on a bed of rice, with a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar. Yummy, yummy, in our tummies!

I'll still expect some helpful mutton recipes though. Our local store is carrying quite a bit right now (Easter??) and I'm trying to expand our diets.

Every so often i try to be good and get "healthy" salad dressings made from/with oils/vinaigrette's.  My "healthy eating" never lasts long enough to finish off even a small bottle of dressing (& balsamic vinegar's have a tendency to make me ill) - so i end up finishing them off using them as a marinade - soaking chops (usually pork).

I need to check out the lamb chops - I've only had lamb on rotisserie when we were overseas (Greek gyros) and not so sure what they use for gyros here in US is "real" lamb/mutton.  Think u'd be able to pick some up, bring to work & I could meet you??  OR need to do a run down your way on the weekend...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2017, 01:01:44 AM »
Sorry im only seeing this Now Julie :)

let me know If you would like the recipe and Ill post it , its basic and not alot of Ingredients :)

I made a chicken farmhouse casserole on the weekend ( just the McCormick packet) I doubled it as I had 2kg of chicken thigh fillets. I added some fresh Thyme and basil to the recipe and it was very nice. There was plenty of left overs that went straight into the freezer.

OK Ryan - that must be a monster sized slow cooker OR a very small leg of lamb??  We, every now and then, get a leg of lamb and totally enjoy them - rubbed w/ lots of mustard, garlic & peppers, sea salt.  Always stuck out of our roasting pans (large enough to do 25# turkeys), so had to be covered in foil...  OMG you guys are makeing me hungry, but so much nicer a subject to enjoy!

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Ryan

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2017, 06:28:04 PM »
Its a rather large slow cooker :)

I rub the leg in Apricot jam or breakfast marmalade and then sprinkle with dried mint and rosemary. I layer the bottom of the slow cooker with carrots and onions and then place the lamb on top and cook for 8-10 hours. The meat falls apart, so good :)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2017, 10:58:41 PM »
Its a rather large slow cooker :)

I rub the leg in Apricot jam or breakfast marmalade and then sprinkle with dried mint and rosemary. I layer the bottom of the slow cooker with carrots and onions and then place the lamb on top and cook for 8-10 hours. The meat falls apart, so good :)

THIS ^^^^^^ SOUNDS DELICIOUS!! I'll have to see if I can pick up a lamb leg soon!

As far as the lamb chops go, they're quite pricey here too. If I remember correctly they were about $6 per pound. I picked them up when they were marked down, paid about $4.50 for the 5 chops.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2017, 08:12:09 AM »
Not a big fan of lamb, but it does sound good!!

This thread just makes my mouth water!  Cooking for 1 isn't any fun and I've been doing it for years and still hate it, but Easter is coming, and I'm looking forward to cooking for my whole family that will be here -- only 14 for Easter Dinner.  Then starting to plan our vacation in June, where I get to cook for the whole clan of 22 !!  Now THAT'S when I have all the fun!  22 for breakfast, lunch and dinner!  YEAH!!!