Author Topic: Foodie Thread  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Foodie Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
If I have coffee after lunch it keeps me awake all night. I love soups and stews holly, my fav food. Love cooking these types of foods in winter and making enough that there is plenty of left overs.

Cant wait to hear about your garden :)  Mine was non existent this year  :-\  Ive planted a few herbs in pots but as for the rest, will have to wait till spring in sept.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2017, 04:58:27 PM »
Chili Con Carn and rice for dinner here last night :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »
Oh, yummy!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »
Sliced a grilled chicken breast and added it to a green salad last night for dinner. I fried up some prosciutto till it went crispy and then sprinkled it over the salad.

Made a dressing for the salad using a banana passion fruit , lime and olive oil :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 05:10:28 PM »
Made curried sausages for dinner on Monday and had that with rice. Tuesday we had a roasted butterfly chicken (marinated in a spicy mango chutney)  with roasted veggies and fresh beans. Last night we had a smokey chorizo , sweet potato and fetta salad.

Not sure what will be on the menu for tonight :)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 12:38:12 AM »
Has anyone here ever made their own cheese(s) from either cows milk or goats milk?

We are coffee drinkers.  Once I hit late teeneagerhood, I kept a pot percolating on the stove when out doing winter chores while caring for 30 horses on 10 acres.

Now, I not only drink coffee in the AM, but join my night working hubby for coffee when he eats breakfast - sometimes as much as 1/2 a pot or so.  Now I'm not sure how long we've had our Kurerig.  We have both the "wire" basket that coffee/tea grounds can go in by itself, and the baskets that a mini coffee filter goes in (LOVE IT!).  I add cinnamon to every cup and have to be careful not to put too much in, which clogs the water flow. 

I have worked at the Spay Neuter Vet clinic for over 3 years now.  I really enjoy my coffee and today, found out no one said anything about being out of coffee.  So as soon as check in was over, even though we were short handed, I left to go get individual coffees at the closest gas station.  BUT the lot was covered w/ power trucks, so I went on a couple more miles to the Piggly Wiggly.  Got back with plenty of coffee, sugar and creamer and w/i minutes was more relaxed w/ a steaming mug w/ golden coffee!!  2 more large mugs before lunch.  Have had water (both hot and cold) since and then have had about 15 oz of diet coke this eve.

Oi, need to go to bed!!

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2017, 08:03:51 PM »
Ryan,
   Hope you have similar products in Australia, as Mom's chili uses pre-packaged ingredients.

Two cans diced tomatoes (15oz each)  [Her original recipe called for canned whole tomatoes, then chopped, but diced are now available.]
1 can kidney beans with juice (15 oz)
1 can mushrooms (4oz drained)
1# browned hamburger
onion browned with the meat to your taste (I just used dried minced out of the cupboard, as we don't use a lot of fresh onion)
and 1 packet chili pre-mix, we use McCormicks mild (think I spelled that right).

http://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/recipe-mixes/chili/chili-seasoning-mix-mild
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2017, 08:48:47 PM »
Yummo thanks for that . yes we can get McCormick products here , Ill grab the rest of the ingredients over the weekend :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2017, 09:43:31 PM »
Depending how big an eater you are and what you serve with it, it makes about 4 servings.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
I don't think I've ever added mushrooms to chili mix!  We do add peppers (I like sweet types, Larry will add jalapeno).  We also will add a couple chunks of carrot, then leave the mix in the crock pot or on the stove to simmer.  when the chunks of carrot can no longer be found, the chili is totally ready to eat!  Of course, we sometimes mix it up, heat it and eat it right then, too.  But it's always better when it simmers and all the flavors mix together, though.

I add cornbread to the mix, I often eat my chili over the cornbread rather than as a side...

I'm drooling but chili is out for a bit yet...  :(  Still having to take it very easy (mild) and VERY small portions right now - a little more often.  As it gets going again, tummy making LOTs of rumbling noise.  Really startled a couple of people on Thursday at work and that was just with eating crackers!

OK, have to leave this thread now.  Tummy just isn't ready for what I'm starting to think about.  BUT then again, maybe that's a good sign!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2017, 08:40:34 AM »
Oh my, the more I read about the chili, the more I think I'm going to have to set some up to cook!!  I love chili too!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
My mouth is watering :)

Didnt get a chance to make it over the weekend as I had to take my Goddaughter to Pony Club. I have most of the ingredients ready to go :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2017, 06:35:59 PM »
We had tortellini here last night with a tomato based sauce . My SIL gave me some fresh spinach, rocket, basil so I used that along with a few other things. Had some Garlic bread with it.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2017, 07:40:54 PM »
We had tortellini here last night with a tomato based sauce . My SIL gave me some fresh spinach, rocket, basil so I used that along with a few other things. Had some Garlic bread with it.
Probably have asked before, but what is Rocket?
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
I think its known as Arugula there :)  Its a peppery leaf thats great in salads and pasta