Author Topic: Foodie Thread  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Foodie Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »
We had the first of our Christmas catch ups on the weekend  and I was sent home with enough Potato salad to feed the local baseball club.

had it on its own for the first night and then I though I wonder what I could turn it into :)

So I got my google shoes on and came across the EASIEST recipe.

Whisk a few eggs and add a touch of cream ( I didnt have any so substituted it for Mayo) and add it to the potato salad. I added some fresh chives and Parsley and an onion and some corn kernels . Give it a good mix and add all into a fry pan and put it in the oven until ready.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 06:03:57 AM »
Sounds yummy! 
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 01:01:46 PM »
Well, since my last post, we've had FOOD!! LOL  Old friends were disappointed that we didn't prepare Thanksgiving dinner this year, so they "volunteered" us to prepare something for Christmas. My niece made a chicken stew that's then put into bolillo bread with curtido (a Central American slaw), radishes, lettuce and cucumber. The previously mentioned potato salad (note: go easy on the beets or you'll have purple/pink salad) and a chopped cucumber and lettuce salad with mayo dressing.  Folks liked it......BUT.....again a bit disappointed. Since this is easy to prepare and feeds an army, guess what every other family was preparing for Christmas? LOL You got it!!

We got volunteered to prepare a New Years' dinner. When I said "It's gonna be American style" everyone was so happy! I'm glad too, as I have a ham in the freezer that I need to prep before it freezer burns. It'll go in the slow cooker. Sides will be a dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and a slow cooker pecan pie. Anything that doesn't get eaten will go onto partitioned styrofoam plates and into the freezer for instie dinners.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 03:40:10 PM »
Guess it fits the Foodie thread.   My MIL got us a Keurig 2.0 for Christmas along with a couple refillable cups, so no more coffee sitting in the pot for 2-3 days while Shayne drinks the pot of coffee he made (I don't drink coffee).   She also got a k-cup sampler that had 3 coffees and a cocoa in it.   And, I picked up k-cup pack from Holiday of their coffee.   Mostly, we'll just fill the reuseable cup, but it'll be fun to try different coffees.    I got it set up, and tried the cocoa to see how it works.  Shayne hasn't been home to try the coffee.   [MIL also got me a box of tea (just Lipton bags), and I can use the Keurig to heat my water for me daily tea.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
I love coffee , i really dont think I could get through the day without a cup or two. When I used to manage hotels and clubs here in Australia , I lived on 6-8 cups per day. It kept me going all day but it didnt help when I was trying to unwind of a night. These days if I have coffee after 5pm , I can guarantee im awake all night.

Italian salad here last night. Completely made up but it turned out quite good. I stirred through some chorizo sausage and some toasted ciabatta bread into a basic salad and used some of the fresh herbs ive been growing. Basil, Parsley and garlic chives.

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 05:33:49 PM »
Oh, Ryan, you're a whimp in the coffee department!

I drink at least 30 cups a day!  I used to have one of those big coffee makers that do "group coffee" and make 48 cups, and I'd start a second pot before the day was over!  LOL

No, I have a Keurig Vue also, and it makes a 18 oz cup of coffee at a time, and I drink it from about 4-5 am until night time.  Never keeps me up, and I've been doing it since my teens (which was a VERY long time ago!!!)

One of my kids is the same way in quantity, but the rest are more "normal" but still probably drink 6-8 cups a day.  That's the Norwegian in us!

Chanda, you're going to love that Keurig.  My problem is getting the cups for the view, but I love Amazon Prime, and they send me 6-8 boxes at a time.

Ryan, that food sounds fabulous!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 05:34:37 PM »
That sounds yummy, Ryan.  Love ciabatta bread, well almost any bread.

We're having steak and potatoes tonight.   I sliced up some potatoes threw them in a baking dish seasoned them and added some butter, will put it in the oven while I do chores; then cook the steak on the George grill and probably just heat some green beans for a vegie.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
I can't imagine drinking that much coffee.
Love the Keurig so far, not sure how thrilled Shayne is.  I keep it ready to go, as Shayne would probably make a mesh filling the water reservoir; I also keep the reuseable k-cups filled with basic coffee.     Love it for heating water for my daily tea, found someone that will take the Earl Grey off my hands, so I can keep buying the variety box and get a bit of variety in my tea.  [Drink a lot of plain black too; just basic Lipton, as it's readily available around here.  When I can get it, I like Red Rose brand.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 05:59:45 PM »
Well I thought 6-8 cups a day was alot, I think id be bouncing off the walls if I consumed 30 cups. :)

The machine you are talking about, is it one of the "Pod" machines or is it percolated coffee ? I promised myself this year I wouldnt stop on the way to work for coffee as it costs a fortune and I could think of a million things that I could put the money towards. So far , Ive failed miserably in the two days Ive been back at work LOL. First day I was running late as I was trying to find a fly veil in the long grass, this morning I was out of milk.

Have to shop on the way home, so I will make sure Milks on the shopping list.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 06:13:57 PM »
Well I thought 6-8 cups a day was alot, I think id be bouncing off the walls if I consumed 30 cups. :)

The machine you are talking about, is it one of the "Pod" machines or is it percolated coffee ? I promised myself this year I wouldnt stop on the way to work for coffee as it costs a fortune and I could think of a million things that I could put the money towards. So far , Ive failed miserably in the two days Ive been back at work LOL. First day I was running late as I was trying to find a fly veil in the long grass, this morning I was out of milk.

Have to shop on the way home, so I will make sure Milks on the shopping list.

Mine is a pod machine, brews a single cup at a time (you can set it to brew a pot too, but I don't want to buy the extra carafe for that, so will just plug in the old machine when I need to make a pot, which is rare); you can get refillable pods for it, so we have 3 of those.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 09:58:25 PM »
Might see if I can track one down here :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »
Brought some fresh leg ham on the way home from work last night and had it with a garden salad.

Fresh Pineapple, watermelon, rock melon, strawberries, Banana, passion fruit (homegrown), apple with some yogurt for dessert :) 

Offline Ryan

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »
Mango Chicken salad here Sunday night and then used the last of the roast chicken to make burritos last night.

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:57 PM »
This week we had beef rib and vegetables soup, chicken vegetable soup, and a shrimp with tomato cream sauce served over fettucini. We also had chicken with a diced tomato and caper sauce over white rice.

It's very telling...when I cook at home, I don't get cravings for sweets. When I eat I'm satisfied. I eat until I feel full and then quit. Feeling full is NOT usually a normal thing for me, that's why I have such a love/hate relationship with food. (Among other reasons.)

We had to eat at Denny's while on the road today. I had a surprisingly good skewered steak served over new tomatoes, roasted peppers and onions with fried eggs. Has kept me full from 2 p.m. until now, and I'll be good until morning!

Everyone else just came in and they're very, very hungry. See y'all later!
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2017, 04:24:18 AM »
I've been avoiding this thread! The thought of a food thread next to our exercise thread cracks me up!!
First oh my word on the amount of coffee y'all drink! I do 1-2 cups in the morning. And only 1 in evening if on foal watch. I buzz like a bee after 2 cups!
I like to have an occasional tea and usually 1 soda daily. The rest of the time it's as much water as I can muster.
I have a weakness for thick hearty soups and stews.were usually big eaters, but pretty healthy as we eat a lot of fresh produce.  I have already started planning spring garden. Can't wait to get that going!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com