Author Topic: Foodie Thread  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
Foodie Thread
« on: November 23, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »
Just a thought.
Ryan always shares such yummy sounding meals, so lets start our own foodie thread.
What's on the menu, Ryan?

We had some Schwan's breaded chicken breasts, a Knorr rice side dish (I think it was chicken fried rice) and peas for supper tonight.
And, of course tomorrow, we pig out at his folk's on Thanksgiving goodies.
I'm taking 5-cup fruit salad, a family favorite (my family).
it's simple: 1 cup each of canned pineapple (well-drained), 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, 1 cup canned mandarin oranges (well-drained, add last and carefully fold in so you don't mush the oranges),  and 1 cup mini marshmallows.  Mix well, chill and serve (after a day or two in the fridge it does get juicy).
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
Re: Foodie Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 11:53:16 PM »
And, since we were just discussing it on FB.
Here's my Mom's raw cranberry relish recipe.

1 bag (12oz) cranberries (icky ones sorted out)
1 orange (thin-skinned, seeded)
1 apple (just cored)
1 cup sugar
put all through grinder, add sugar and chill (use grinding cutter). Make a few days ahead of time
[Mom had an old-fashioned cast-iron grinder that we used.]
I didn't like it as a kid, but helped make it from the time I was old enough to turn the handle on the grinder (yep, it was a hand crank grinder).  It's been awhile since we made it, but last time I tried it, I actually kind of liked it.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 07:43:47 AM »
They sound good, Chanda!

Well, I'll share my corn recipe that I'll be doing today!

16 ounces frozen whole kernel corn
6 ounces cream cheese (I just use 1 whole package)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
4-8 Tablespoon of sugar or sugar substitute like Splenda
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 cup butter

Spread the corn in the bottom of a crock pot.
Top with cream cheese, cubed into pieces
Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the corn

Cover and cook on high heat for 2-3 hours stirring occasionally, and cook until creamy.

I usually double or triple the recipe depending on number of people, and occasionally have to add a bit more heavy cream to increase the liquid.

When it's done, FEW call it creamed corn, and all call it GOOD!!!  I always have recipe cards if I take this dish somewhere for a dish-to-pass or get-together, because once you try it -- you're hooked!!

Enjoy!

And HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!  Doesn't matter where you live, we ALL have something to be thankful for!

~~Diane
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 09:30:17 PM »
Yummmmmmm ladies they sound like things I must try :)  ( sends to the printer to print) :)

I do love to cook , more in winter as Its usually too hot here to eat anything other than Salads and anything cold.

Last night I made home made pizzas on Pita bread. I had some left over roast lamb so used that with some spinach leaves,baked sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, capsicum, sundried tomatoes, fetta cheese. fresh rosemary and Italian parsley and of course topped with Mozzarella and tasty cheese.

Great idea Chanda to start this  ;)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 09:58:57 PM »
Happy to.
Gotta see those recipes.  Some I may actually try some day, but hubby is a bit picky, so only some will get tried.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 10:03:11 PM »
haha im irish, basically throw some beef in a pot with an onion, add some gravy, throw a few potatoes in and thats 90% of all our meals. Sometimes we fry some cabbage to go with it!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 10:53:05 PM »
Nothing like a good stew!!  Fed that to my kids for years....that and soups, as I always had a "crowd" of children to feed with mine and their friends, and not many $$, so those things went well and the kids loved it!  For years when I would visit my kids in college, my job was to stock their freezers with soups and stews and their favorite meals divided into single portions.

My girls still laugh about when they were finishing med school and studying for their final exams, everyone stayed at school to study, brining a sandwich for lunch, and my girls just brought their single portions of lasagna, soups, stroganoff, etc., and made everyone jealous!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 11:01:56 PM »
lol we are slow to adapt us irish, so all this kale and spices and terragon or whatever is lost. cabbage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, chicken, bit of beef, carrot, maybe a turnip. Gets a bit fancy if you add some shrimp or stroganoff juice lol

Im a soup goddess though - i can make a soup out of nothing. My best i think is my cabbage and bacon, or my potato and leek. My pea and ham is pretty good too...the secret is always spuds! no soup is good without a spud...

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 10:25:39 AM »
lol we are slow to adapt us irish, so all this kale and spices and terragon or whatever is lost. cabbage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, chicken, bit of beef, carrot, maybe a turnip. Gets a bit fancy if you add some shrimp or stroganoff juice lol

Im a soup goddess though - i can make a soup out of nothing. My best i think is my cabbage and bacon, or my potato and leek. My pea and ham is pretty good too...the secret is always spuds! no soup is good without a spud...

AAAAAAAHHHHHH....Do Tell!! (as they say in North Carolina)  I'm needing to do more soups now, as our recently arrived refugee niece is a teenager...and favorite words are "I'm hungry."  Fortunately, she's not picky like my husband. She does, however, have a VERY sensitive stomach. (Inherited disorder??) Any stress, and she complains of stomach pains. Guess what happens during school days? Ill in the morning...poor little thing. Between new country, new customs, new language and living with people she doesn't really know I can't blame her.  :-[ :-[  It's been 12 years since she last saw her uncle, so the amount of trust she's willing to gives us is humbling.

That's why I'd like to acquire your soup goddess recipes! Simple, stretches a $, tasty. And Ingrid has never met a spud she didn't like.  ^-^ ^-^

Yesterday is the first time in 5 years I didn't make a Thanksgiving spread. We went to a cousins' home and enjoyed turkey and traditional Salvadorean side dishes. My favorite was remolacha. It is a potato salad dish made with:

Potatoes, canned and drained beets, mayonnaise, mustard, finely minced onion, chopped boiled egg and sliced olives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I hope I'm remembering it correctly.  :P  Slice the potatoes and beets (after boiling the potatoes to done without being too soft) then add all other ingredients. My lupus causes me to suffer from pernicious anemia and I know that beets are an excellent source of iron and other vitamins. They taste like eating dirt! (Foodies say "an EARTHY flavor", I've learned that's foodie code for D-I-R-T.  >:D  ) So this excellent recipe gives me a great way to eat healthy and not taste dirt. YAHOO BUCKEROO. LOL
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Rocklone

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »
It really is as simple as it sounds. Fry up some an onion and some bacon, boil a pot of cabbage and put in a few potatoes (not too many as it makes it too thick) then blend it. Same for all the rest! Cook the ingredients as normal, throw them in a pot with water and a few potatoes and blend! Haha

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 08:54:58 AM »
Julie - you can do a "pickle wash" vinaigrette that will remove the "earthy" flavor from beets.  You'll have to google it as I don't have a recipe and I myself haven't done it - just know that it works.  Probably actually needs to sit a while to remove the unwanted flavor (actual pickling) - I can't remember.

Also, consider doing a Borscht style soup - Russian/Ukrainian recipe made from or with beets.  Different recipes out there - some are served hot and some served cold.  Some pureed smooth and served w/ dollop of sour cream on top - others not. 

Ukranian borsht soup - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/84450/ukrainian-red-borscht-soup/
large recipe -Russian Cabbage Borscht soup - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/85517/russian-cabbage-borscht/
Love the story behind this one - I have to try it!!!  http://cookthestory.com/easy-borscht-recipe/

Hmm - I'm not finding any of the pureed borsht soups...

I plan on planting beets next garden.  Good for us, chickens and ponies.  I love beets - family, not so much.  Jerusalem artichokes can be fed to chickens and horses as well.  Have a video of horses eating them pulled from the ground - greens and tuber alike!  They were in England, I think(??) - forgot to hit save on that vid and I can't find it now...  Supposedly Comfrey leaves can also be fed straight to the horses - along with the chickens and used as fertilizer tea (woof - that's stinky worse than wet manure) and straight chop/drop on garden, fruit bushes/trees.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 09:04:02 AM »
Our Thanksgiving meal was hosted by our middle daughter and her hubby of 6 months.  Most of the recipes she used were on the cans or bags of whatever she was using to prepare... 

BUT she made "my" recipe for Apple Cucken ("open faced pie - not a covered one - but did come down from my Swedish grand mother)...

I'll have to dig out the recipe (can't find at the moment - one of those items buried still...) but it only uses apples, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon for the filling.  You can make a pie crust or you can purchase one - I've done both.  She used a graham cracker crust - purchased.  After putting the apple mixture in the crust, you dot with 5 table spoon of butter (I've used Olive Oil in place - have to play w/ amount) and 8 tablespoons of milk (actually easier w/ TB, not a cup/measure).  Then bake in 350* oven for 45-60 minutes (depends on oven, you want it to thicken liquids and brown on top w/o burning).  Heaped apples will shrink down to flat - we use a lot of apples!  The cooking w/ sugar/cinnamon changes the flavor of apples - you can use any kind - starchy/crisp or bland/tart/sweet.  Brown spots don't matter - peel and if large bruises/soft spots, remove those.  Great way to use up apples you might not eat otherwise but you aren't quite ready to put out in compost or feed to chix.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Ryan

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 06:08:10 PM »
Love making Soups and stews , especially throughout winter, not only as Its great winter food but because I love having left overs in the freezer for those nights when you get home and "cant be bothered" .

I get a little lazy with the heat here in summer and seem to live off different kinds of salads.

I have a recipe at home for my version of minestrone soup , makes enough to feed the local neighborhood and puts enough meals in the freezer for those nights when the couch/sofa is more appealing. Ill hunt it down and add it to this thread. Its really cheap to make :)

I did make a really easy Pasta Last night :-

Onion
Red capsicum
celery
Yellow and red cherry tomatoes
smoked ham
(lightly fry all the above until cooked)

Cook pasta and set aside

Once the onion etc is cooked add some dried italian seasoning to the mix and stir through until you can smell the herbs coming through.

Add the pasta to the onion mixture and stir in a jar of cream cheese and some fresh basil.

Very basic Pasta that you can add things to . ( chicken , Tuna, salmon, sausages) you can also add your fav veggies , as you please.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »
Happy to.
Gotta see those recipes.  Some I may actually try some day, but hubby is a bit picky, so only some will get tried.

Nothing Spicy and NO pineapple ( If i remember correctly) :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 07:55:17 PM »
That sounds good, too, Ryan!