Message Boards > General Discussion

Foodie Thread

(1/19) > >>

Chanda:
Just a thought.
Ryan always shares such yummy sounding meals, so lets start our own foodie thread.
What's on the menu, Ryan?

We had some Schwan's breaded chicken breasts, a Knorr rice side dish (I think it was chicken fried rice) and peas for supper tonight.
And, of course tomorrow, we pig out at his folk's on Thanksgiving goodies.
I'm taking 5-cup fruit salad, a family favorite (my family).
it's simple: 1 cup each of canned pineapple (well-drained), 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, 1 cup canned mandarin oranges (well-drained, add last and carefully fold in so you don't mush the oranges),  and 1 cup mini marshmallows.  Mix well, chill and serve (after a day or two in the fridge it does get juicy).

Chanda:
And, since we were just discussing it on FB.
Here's my Mom's raw cranberry relish recipe.

1 bag (12oz) cranberries (icky ones sorted out)
1 orange (thin-skinned, seeded)
1 apple (just cored)
1 cup sugar
put all through grinder, add sugar and chill (use grinding cutter). Make a few days ahead of time
[Mom had an old-fashioned cast-iron grinder that we used.]
I didn't like it as a kid, but helped make it from the time I was old enough to turn the handle on the grinder (yep, it was a hand crank grinder).  It's been awhile since we made it, but last time I tried it, I actually kind of liked it.

dcwolcott:
They sound good, Chanda!

Well, I'll share my corn recipe that I'll be doing today!

16 ounces frozen whole kernel corn
6 ounces cream cheese (I just use 1 whole package)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
4-8 Tablespoon of sugar or sugar substitute like Splenda
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 cup butter

Spread the corn in the bottom of a crock pot.
Top with cream cheese, cubed into pieces
Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the corn

Cover and cook on high heat for 2-3 hours stirring occasionally, and cook until creamy.

I usually double or triple the recipe depending on number of people, and occasionally have to add a bit more heavy cream to increase the liquid.

When it's done, FEW call it creamed corn, and all call it GOOD!!!  I always have recipe cards if I take this dish somewhere for a dish-to-pass or get-together, because once you try it -- you're hooked!!

Enjoy!

And HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!  Doesn't matter where you live, we ALL have something to be thankful for!

~~Diane

Ryan:
Yummmmmmm ladies they sound like things I must try :)  ( sends to the printer to print) :)

I do love to cook , more in winter as Its usually too hot here to eat anything other than Salads and anything cold.

Last night I made home made pizzas on Pita bread. I had some left over roast lamb so used that with some spinach leaves,baked sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, capsicum, sundried tomatoes, fetta cheese. fresh rosemary and Italian parsley and of course topped with Mozzarella and tasty cheese.

Great idea Chanda to start this  ;)

Chanda:
Happy to.
Gotta see those recipes.  Some I may actually try some day, but hubby is a bit picky, so only some will get tried.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version