Author Topic: LP Painted Ponys 2017  (Read 7707 times)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
Re: LP Painted Ponys 2017
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »
When I got home, had to run to BR.  Then changed shoes and didn't change anything else (I mean 2 dogs had pee'd down my scrub shirt, so what was a dirty mare/foal???)...

And I got to see our little girl (who isn't so little - she's bigger than Guinness who is 11 days old today).  I fed the others & closed them into the pen.  Tory then started up to check out feed, if her "kid" wondered off, she stopped and waited before plodding on up.  I fed her in a tub on the ground, wet...

Here's some pics Sierra took this am - the first one was what she saw when she arrived home - she took this one at 1032 -

Then she did some unfolding and these are what I took when I got home - My FIRST view - WOW, Look how big she is!!  She looks like she's a couple days old.

And Chanda, I LOVE that pic of your mare/foal and the story w/ the names.  I've seen it before, but saw it again when I opened this thread and couldn't believe how it matched the pic that Sierra sent me first!

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2017, 11:23:15 PM »
OMG, almost exact same pose.
Trixie is darling and so leggy and big. 
Congrats again.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Ryan

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:58 AM »
Congratulations to you all Paula and welcome to the world Trixie :)

She is amazing Paula, cant believe how big she is  :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2017, 05:50:01 AM »
FABULOUS!!!  Beautiful and all that white!  She's just grand, and your right, she's a big one!

Trixie is a great name!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »
Wow she's definitely huge!! And gorgeous :)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2017, 09:06:50 PM »
Thanx, All!!

I have been tremendously bothered by who she looked like...  I finally figured it out - tho it turns out that she has more white than he did.  She reminds me of her sire's full brother, born on 27 January 2000. 

Frosty was born 2 days after we had a BUNCH of snow in NC, but a lot of it had already melted off in those 2 days.  But you can figure out his name, LOL.

Hard to believe, Madira is now a step-mom (to two wonderful children)...

Edited to add: The Shetland mare in the pics above are Trixie's (& Guinness's & Nymbus's) grand dam.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »
So beautiful!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2017, 10:14:32 PM »
Guinness, Nymbus, Trixie....who's up next?
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
Well, I separated both Cheri & 'Clipse from the SR mare group and they are in the larger of the two blue panel pens butted up to Taff's smaller pen.

Thinking 'Clipse, definitely, but have no idea when.  She is another that lost a lot of weight with the hay situation, doesn't appear to have lice (at least last time I checked!! more than a week ago now) and is picking up in weight but it all seems to be going directly to her belly!  So we shall see.

Cheri ??  I just can't tell.  Will be worming ponies this weekend - many are due to be done, others aren't but will be anyway...  Then all that are treated for lice will be wormed again in (I think it's 1 week?), will have to check.

He ran with the mares thru the end of July, so I'm thinking could go all the way to July/Aug before foaling? I want to say that I last saw them both showing to Toro in mid-June of last summer, though.  Funny, never saw Koalah or Tory teasing to him nor saw any covers by him on any of the mares.   

I purposely covered Bell with Echo last May, but she's been coming into season regularly and no baby bump developing, so, thinking not pregnant and just as well with everything.  Torn.  Don't need to breed.  BUT Bell is really getting up there in age...  and I DID want one out of her with AJ's lines, so may breed her the next time I see her in heat (to Echo) and see what it takes to baby her thru another pregnancy...
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »
Well keep us posted!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »
Hmmm... Well 2 foals definitely on the way!  Thinking 'Clipse is going to foal in the next 1-2 weeks based on her udder development.  She does need to put on more weight and I'd already increased their feed.  Both 'Clipse and Cheri are getting Chaffehay almost free choice (not quite - they'd eat only that and I can't put out a 50# bale every day for them right now), alfalfa pellets.  They are getting there, have a ways to go, though.

Here's pics of 'Clipse before her "spa day" -

Her udder -

After "Spa treatment" -

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »
Can't say no anymore to Cheri - first I saw MOVEMENT (& I usually am never blessed with that) AND she's developing her udder.  Cheri's foal will be here in 2-4 weeks, I think.

Her udder.  From the rear - not really showing yet...  but she's about at the same point where she was 3 weeks before having the last foal, when she was a maiden.  this is her 2nd foal.

And after "Spa treatment" -

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
You might try adding some calf manna to their feed, too, that might help add some calories.   ;D

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2017, 06:45:18 PM »
Do you mean the original Calf manna?  or the newer Calf Manna meant for horses?

I've not tried the original calf manna in years, but on trying the newer one for horses, found that in a 6 month period it didn't really seem to make a difference for anyone that was put on it.  I used it in 08 (larger ponies/full size horses) and again in 2010/2011 (shetlands).

When I was a teen/young adult - we used the original Calf Manna and LOVED IT.  I will check it out and let you know how they all do.

On the hay issue, I had a neighbor severely putting down the guy whose hay I have been mostly purchasing since June 2015 (or so?).  But I purchased some small squares from him (choked on his prices!) and gave it a trial (before investing in his much more expensive round bales).  Most that were offered - sniffed at it, picked thru some & nibbled - then turned right back to the "brown" round bales that we had.  Of the ones who ate it a little better (but not like they would normally! and still went back to the "brown" hay), each had watery, foul smelling diarrhea w/i 12 hours.  I will not be purchasing his much more expensive hay that our ponies don't like or appear to do well on.

I HAVE gotten other small squares from out of our area.  Same prices, longer distances to go to get but yes, better quality (or at least prettier to look at).  I bought the one guy out and he won't have any more until June...  I will run out before then, even with only feeding a handful of ponies this hay.  I have another supplier or two to check with.

Overall, the hay that I've gotten from the guy who doesn't spray any herbicides, while not pretty and yes, a problem with the Foxtail, the ponies did very well on - even when it looked not so good or weedy(I've only gotten a couple of bales that were moldy and he completely replaced those - others haven't).  When I've gone back to purchasing from previous suppliers - every new load of hay brought a new round of nasty diarrhea.  That was something we dealt with at the other property the last several years we were there. There were some that got their tails (and bums) washed fairly regularly - they just seemed to stay gross.  A couple of times we missed it (not just me) and the farrier would get busy and OMG, what a mess that became!  When we were talking about the different issues on the hay available here - she did seem surprised when we went back over pictures of ponies and hay - overall, there's been no to very little diarrhea here since January 2015. 

Sometimes these things are so interesting...  sometimes such a pain.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2017, 07:55:12 PM »
It's my understanding that even the original Calf Manna changed it's formula, but I honestly don't know as I've not used it enough to notice.
I had bought some for Bliss to bump up the protein in the feed she's getting and in hopes of enticing her to eat, at the time I bought it it didn't work; I think she was dealing with ulcers while being weaned and then again when I moved Spotty.  THe girls get a bit of calf manna in their afternoon feed, as I'm using up that bag of Calf Manna.    [If you didn't know, it now comes in 10# bags, so you can try it without buying a 50# bag to find out they don't like it.  great option for someone with only one mini or wanting to try it out.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly