Author Topic: LP Painted Ponys 2017  (Read 7706 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: LP Painted Ponys 2017
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 06:08:22 PM »
Really happy to hear that your finally on the improve with your health.  Your weather sound alot like "Melbourne Weather" Its a joke that it can be 42 degrees Celsius here and then in the hour drop to 15 degrees Celsius. 

The girls look great and agree that they look pregnant :)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »
It really is even more surprising, when you know that Paula is only 30-35 miles north of me. Yet...her highs during hot weeks are about 10 degrees higher than here! We've not gotten higher than 70 here since (I think) early in December. Last week we didn't get higher than 68 one day, otherwise low 60's. Most nights, we're hovering between 27-35 until this week.

I don't know, since I haven't been out since last January (OH MY!) but it sure looks like Taff and Tory might be in a race to foal about the same time. Sure will be interesting to watch!

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 06:24:18 AM »
They are so beautiful! Will you be able to stream your mares this year?

Holly - I doubt that in this new set up I'll ever have them on camera.  One - don't have a real barn and the electric to what we do have is ...  "chintzy".  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  More on that a bit later (time).  Two - the pasture gate isn't all that far from the house, but the main part of the pasture (barn, feed, what electric do have) is 1/2 mile + from the house.  Dont thing u can stream from that far? Three - i've never really enclosed the ponies.  Well, have, and still missed the birth(s) right outside my kitchen window.  Four - ALL of our ponies are happier when out on pasture.  Many were raised that way (gave birth themselves) before we purchased them and the maidens we had foal last year were unhappy when contained in the round pen - for birth and at first after they foaled.  Willing to go into pens to be fed, don't like being kept there... At our previous place, when stalled, most had quite a bit of "flip out time" - Tory would literally throw herself at the barn walls - kicking & screaming, "clawing" over the 4 1/2' stall wall.  I was more worried about her injuring herself/foal to be.  'Clipse HAS foaled in stalls but seems to be happier out.  Koalah is quiet in any stall - but will hold on until you move her out, then foal when your back is turned (3 out of 5 times that way - once while standing tied at her previous eating spot - story somewhere in these threads).  I have done the 30-45 day "get used to foaling area" ritual. 

I am seriously thinking that I will swap the ponies around again.  Put the JR mares that aren't bred into the "big" pasture (since haven't finished the last 2 interior paddocks, they have the run of the whole outer perimeter and where we want to put their pasture), and the older mares that are bred, back into the smaller one.  At least that way, we'll see much easier who is getting closer...  May do that this weekend.  That is how I had them when they foaled the last time and it worked well.  I certainly can't put that many ponies in the round pen - I'd never get it clean again, LOL... and they'd have no room to actually move around...

One other thought.  Ours aren't "true" minis and several of the current pregnant mares are much larger than the minis on this forum (44-46" tall and much broader).  I have often used the criteria in the past of "easy foaling, no help" as a way to determine whom to rebreed and continue lines with.  Not so much with the ponies since we are still breeding predominantly older mares, but they all have a good history of foaling unassisted behind them...  YES, I do know that any birth can go wrong.  This theory can go for a while...

I need to run, already late...  argh.  I wasn't watching the time and I know better than to pop in when I should be finishing getting ready to go, LOL
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:42 AM »
Have to insert this really quick!!

Our ponies DO seem to have figured out our work schedules.  NONE has ever foaled when we've been off the property/at work.  Think that they realize, even if they "sneak one" by, that we are still on our schedules of checking them and if they DO need help, won't be long before we swing around to check on them again.  Almost never fails that they foal w/i minutes of us being back around - only in one case did one foal hours earlier (maiden KoKo - last year) when we weren't quite thinking she would.  BUT she didn't want us around and was UGLY for 2 months about us hanldling her colt... 
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 09:11:40 AM »
I totally understand.  I know a lot of people who do things that way and it works out well for them.
Mine love their stalls. Every evening about an hour before sunset, they all make their way back to the barn, and stand around waiting for me to let them in.
I will be happy when we finish the barn and the ponies all have their own stall. Right now Legacy has to bunk up with Katie.
It works out fine, but will need to move ponies around when Katie gets closer to foaling.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 05:32:30 PM »
Would love to see some pics of your barn when its done Holly.

Im thinking of putting up another shed in the near future to house my float and gear. Id also like it to have 2 boxes with some day yards off to the side and a hot wash.

My Big horses do that too. I hard feed in winter but even during the summer months, I can Guarantee they are waiting by the gate at 4:30 when I get home to say Hello.

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2017, 01:38:24 AM »
Ours just really seem to like being under the trees.  But our tree situation has drastically changed as well.  Larry had marked trees that were double and triple trunks from one tree "root" in the ground, but when the tree crew got busy they seemed to think that that meant to take the whole tree.  So a bunch of our trees are now gone...  We will replant fruit trees instead, but they take longer to grow in some instances and the ponies will need to be fenced off of them at first (or all the time?).

I LOVE these pics that I've taken!  This is Tory, Toro (dark head between trunks), Koalah and Ellona.  This tree they did as we'd asked -one trunk (of the three) remains)...

This tree is still with us with both trunks... 

Same tree in 2015 with the JR mares turned out in the pasture with it in it. 

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 01:59:51 AM »
Taff is getting close - she does have an udder, though can't really tell how big. 

I think Tory will foal in between Taff and Koalah. 

Koalah looks to be about 6 weeks out based on her previous pics.

It has finally occurred to me how I can accomplish several things all at once with Taff.  I will be splitting the large blue pen in two, shifting the round bale into a cattle panel wrap that is then put between the two pens.  Her pen will be "wrapped" in cattle panel to prevent the baby from being born and getting under/thru the fence.  Both pens will be smaller than the one now as a whole AND that will allow me to clean up the opened out area.  With her pen smaller, I'm hoping to be able to get my hands on her - removing the halter from her head, putting a different collar set up on her (will probably have another drag line tough) and maybe being able to handle her and take some pics.  Then, after the foal is born, I'd like to try to at least get her hooves "nipped" even if I can't rasp them.  I should be able to shift the panels around again/more and clean more of that pen up.  YEAH, i think this will work...  Now to see if I can do it by myself, starting tomorrow morning!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »
Sounds like a plan!! And the pics are great!!  Can't wait!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
Wow, hadn't realized I hadn't posted at all over on this one since January... 

Well, knew Taff was getting close as the positioning changed slightly and the edema was quite heavy.  I don't have any good pics of that.  Then on Monday (sunday nite/early morn) Larry came home EARLY and curled around me (!!).  I woke enough to wonder what/why and he stated that he hadn't been feeling good & I was back asleep. UP at 4:45 when alarm went off and out to do chores after a cup of coffee.  About 5:30, here comes youngest daughter down the drive - she'd brought oldest daughter to her home as she was violently ill at work.  Into the house to talk to her a bit, get ready for work and I hear one of the granddaughters "cough/gag"...  What a fun day of cleaning up and washing laundry - boss not happy I wasn't sick but asked for day off.  Monday eve - I felt off.  Tuesday morning was the real start of mine.  So, off again.  Did do chores both in the AM & PM.  Taff hadn't changed any from over the weekend.  Lots of butt rubbing.

Thru the nite I was still sick, then passed out.  Larry took my phone (alarm) and texted that I wasn't coming in...  & I slept until almost 10...  Stumbling around, I hadn't even checked out the front door (can see Taff's pen) yet when Sierra arrived home after meeting.  "YEP, we need to go out, grab camera/phone - pretty sure we have extra legs".  I groaned trying to keep up with her as my tummy sloshed...

BUT Taff had a SUPER NICE colt!  Looks to be a silver bay tobiano.  We've named him "Nymbus"...  Took a bit, but we cornered her sorta, caught the colt and then actually caught her as well for a little bit.  She was fine after we caught the colt and he couldn't run off w/o her - she left and immediately came back to see what we were doing with him.  She was  alittle upset, not bad.  I think this may finally be our opportunity to get some work done with her!  We shall see.

His page is done already -https://lppaintedponys.org/nymbus/
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »
O, and he has two little round testes right where they are supposed to be!!  We CHECKED, LOL.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »
He is HANDSOME!!!  CONGRATULATIONS on his safe arrival!!!

Sorry you are all experiencing sickness, we'll be praying everyone gets better really quick, because it looks like these ladies are not going to be waiting long!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »
Hes lovely Paula , Love his Blaze :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »
Congrats!  Very adorable.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 08:18:14 PM »
Thanx, guys!  I returned to work today (after doing chores at 5am) - spent the whole morning feeling queasy and off balance.  Our oldest daughter is still very ill with this "bug" - both granddaughters had it, lasted a few hours and over it.  Larry was 2nd longest. SIL was ill 1 time and over it (a first from what I understand).  Sierra (pictured w/ most of our foals the last couple of years) has had a lot of exposure to all of us, yet has not come down with anything (LUCKY her!!) Anyhoo.

I was told by someone who isn't on Google at all that they couldn't view the pics and then by my daughter and hubby that they couldn't either, though logged int thru Google.  I went in just now thru Google and got a different code.  Can you all go out and see if you can get to his photo album?  I'd really like to know if you can, then if you are logged into Google, have a Google account but not logged in or don't have an account at all.  I will be very unhappy if I need to look at transfering ALL these pics somewhere else to show them...

Here is his page.  https://lppaintedponys.org/nymbus/
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC