Author Topic: LP Painted Ponys 2017  (Read 7713 times)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
Re: LP Painted Ponys 2017
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 10:13:44 AM »
Morning Paula. I know you're might still be in a rough patch. How are the girls hangin'?  (Besides the obvious wide and low with Koalah and Tori.)  Does Taff look like she might be getting closer?

How did y'all handle this last storm? We got rain, rain and more rain! Then sleet fairly heavy and no snow. Ingrid was excited when she first went outside but her face fell when I explained what, exactly, sleet was.

I hope the things that were going on last week are a little better for you this week. I'll be looking forward to an update to this thread when you can.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 05:44:06 PM »
Just catching up on everyones threads whilst ive been away.

No foal yet for Taff ?

Hope you are feeling better Paula  :)

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 01:21:14 AM »
Hey everyone - I've been out of the loop for a bit, though did some answering...  I am starting to get better! Both in the coughing department and feeling much better, even with being slammed at work since we had one employee quit and another had emergency surgery her own self...  12 hour days - YIKES!  I'm still coughing but much reduced.

No foal yet for Taff, but getting closer.  Unfortunately, I cna't get udder pics of her.  We will be moving the panels that are a small pen outside this pen, back into it.  Then will feed her in there - and catch her if we can w/o stressing her.  Want to braid up her tail and check her a little better.  Putting the pen inside the big pen means that if she "breaks out" - she will still be in the larger pen.  We will also put cattle panel around the "stall", so that she will be in it (hopefully) when she foals (at night).  That way the foal will not "slide out" of the pen.  Then the smaller pen will be bedded/cleaned and have a different source of hay at night (alfalfa).  Maybe can then get larger pen cleaned out a bit, too!!  Still can't get girlfriend's Arctic Cat over here for work - it's sidelined until they can afford to take in to fix what her hubby can't...  :(  Haven't found a small tractor (close by) that I can rent to "scrape out" the pen...  Seems like all the rental places have gone up in smoke, LOL.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 01:36:21 AM »
The pics of Tory and Koalah are blurry!  They were taken at dusk (5:15 - 5:35 pm on Friday the 13th of Jan).  But thinking MAYBE pregnant on both?  Will try to get the girls cleaned up a bit and get tails braided up and manes "un-witched"...  LOL.

Tory:

Koalah - I am not quite as confident she's in foal, now...  She appears to be much smaller than is her "norm"...  LOL.  But a lot of our ponies have lost a significant amount of weight since October's storms.  We are looking around for a different hay supplier - to do a mixed supply of hay (all coastal/bermuda).  May have to go with one I used previously (if he still has hay available right now - will be calling him again tomorrow).  The problem for us is he doesn't deliver and I have a very hard time getting his round bales out of our trailer.  I don't have a flat bed trailer...  We'll see what happens on that front. 

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 01:40:26 AM »
Koalah - I like this pic even if it is a little blurry.  The "baby bump" is sticking out much more to the left and lower than on the right side. The can be seen both from the front and from the rear (no pics)...

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 01:41:51 AM »
That didn't work, sorry (1 pic removed).

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:33 AM »
Have to get some sleep, we are supposed to be working  on our floor tomorrow (pulled up carpet, replaced subflooring last week) today...

Have some more pics from the storm (why i put the temps on these pics - can't believe we went from 8* to 86* in 7 days...  The sweat made my clothes stick to me while holding 6 ponies for the farrier...  The ice in the water tanks last Saturday/Sunday was amazing!!  Only got a few pics had a bunch didn't turn out (too dark or too blurred to see images).
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 07:27:43 AM »
Everyone looks fine and very happy all seem to be carrying just wonderfully!

Take care of yourself, and glad you're feeling better.  Thanks for the pics, they are great!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 07:49:16 AM »
 :D
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
Looking good.
I ended up adding some alfalfa pellets for my two girls that got thin last year, the two that foaled,  after the grass was gone, our hay wasn't good enough.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
Chanda - they are already getting alfalfa pellets.  I think part of the problem is some need teeth done (working on that - got behind on that last year and now a lot of our younger ones need doing as well) and the other is we'd gone to feeding once a day.

Believe I need to go back to feeding two times a day to everyone.  I simply cna't split them up any more to get the ones under weight brought back up to where they need to be.  The problem really started after Hurricane Mathew, but some were having an issue here/there previously and I just moved them around to where I could easily dump feed around 5am before going to work.  I will have to get up consistently at 4:30 if I'm going back to feeding before work, but will work on that...  :(  At our other property it wasn't an issue...

Plus with this last storm - several dropped a ton of weight during that cold spell & the day after due to the freezing rain, wind & prolonged cold (3 full days).  I would have needed to have them and all the hay under shelter to have prevented that weight loss, I think.  We've never had that long of a spell of freezing rain and then that kind of drop in temps before...  and they do stay warmer when they have "ice" form on their bodies.  Ah well, it doesn't always work out perfectly.  Just have to fix it now.

The joys of working out logistics in a new place!  We'll get back on track.  I want them doing better, LOL!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
They all look in foal to me. Here's hoping for a rewarding 2017 foal crop!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 06:39:28 AM »
Here's 'Clipse's pics.  She's still gaining steadily, too.  She didn't lose any weight after this last storm, but hasn't gained much either.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 06:10:52 PM »
Yup, my opinion is the same!  Can't wait!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 07:55:29 PM »
They are so beautiful! Will you be able to stream your mares this year?
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com