Message Boards > Foaling Questions & Help

Chamois

(1/2) > >>

Holly:
Has anyone used chamois to dry off a foal?
I usually use old bath towels, but with precious being due so early in the year I am wondering if chamois would dry the foal up faster.
I have a foal blanket, plan to bed deep, and may even turn on a heat lamp until foal is dried.

Chanda:
Never tried it, but should be something that would work well.  I think I'd keep old towels ready, too, but the Chamois should work, supposed to be superior for drying and water wicking.

Rocklone:
Honestly, i would just make sure the stall is well bedded and draft free (which i know you stalls are quit sheltered) and let the mare do the business. She will lick the foal clean, and it will dry off. If you feel at the time its getting TOO cold, like shivering uncontrollably, yeah try a towel or whatever but i'm for letting it all be natural. Think about the temps they are born in here, usually your winter temps in summer, and they are fine lol

Of course you have to know when they need help, but you also have to give them as much no help as possible.

Holly:
LOL I would be really brave not to dry off the foal! I even dry them off a lot in the summer :P I just cant not dry them.... every foal ive had born here between November & Feb has shivered... I just dont like to see them cold, probably because I dislike it so much!
I think I will get a few chamois to add in my foaling kit and as Chanda said keep my towels too.

Rocklone:
Haha I'm a do nothing type unless absolutely necessary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version