Author Topic: feeds and feeding...  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
Re: feeds and feeding...
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
I got 10 bales of Tiffton 44 (a type of coastal bermuda hay) for Spanky early October.  I knew it had been left to dry too long (looked like last year hay!) but he's just starting in the hay business and I wanted to experiment.

Welllllllll........that hasn't turned out to be such a good idea.   :-\ :-\  Spanky is all ribs, hip bones and bony toplines. Coat is rough and I'm going to have to treat for rain rot.  I've only had issues with his coat when he is too thin, so I know that's what it is.  So I'm going to have to figure out a way to bathe him and dry him out quick. I'm going to check out the bathing room at Tractor Supply (TSC) and see how it's set up. If they have a Turbo Drier, I may just try to do him there.  I'll let y'all know how that works out.

As for hay, I think I'll go back to buying from the feed store, since I have just the one mini AT THIS MOMENT.... >:D >:D >:D  My husband has finally agreed to consider a round bale. (More secret hand rubbing and chuckling..... >:D >:D)  If it looks and smells like last years did, I'll use that as my base, add alfalfa and continue with the senior feed that I haven't yet finished.  My plan is to start conditioning him now, so I can get to a couple of rated shows next year.  I really want to try him in the stock horse division.  If it wasn't required to show in a harness class, I'd keep him for the draft classes.

I'll update here as we go along with the new feed plan.  Remind me to post some progress pictures.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »
I got 10 bales of Tiffton 44 (a type of coastal bermuda hay) for Spanky early October.  I knew it had been left to dry too long (looked like last year hay!) but he's just starting in the hay business and I wanted to experiment.

Welllllllll........that hasn't turned out to be such a good idea.   :-\ :-\  Spanky is all ribs, hip bones and bony toplines. Coat is rough and I'm going to have to treat for rain rot. 

The Bermuda hays can be too low in protein, especially for minis; but luckily, you can boost protein and nutrients by adding alfalfa in any form.  You're lucky to have a TSC close by, they have all sorts of bagged forages that can boost nutrients; they have chopped, baled, pellets and cubes in a variety of "flavors".   We have drought hay this year, so it's very poor, but since it was a drought, just so glad to have hay.   Being you only have one mini, you could conceivably buy all your hay/forage at TSC;  yes it would cost more than local hay, but you would know what you are getting, and have a good chance at refund or exchange if you get a bad batch.  Not all TSCs carry the different varieties of forages, but every store should have some variety (or possibly be able to order in - I think anything on-line can be ordered and shipped to store, and I think that is free).
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »
Good luck with your shipping cows!  Stay safe!

Too bad you're having such difficulty with the girls.  I hope you can figure it out without having to do the special ordering, just to make it easier on you.   ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 08:01:22 PM »
Good luck with your shipping cows!  Stay safe!

Too bad you're having such difficulty with the girls.  I hope you can figure it out without having to do the special ordering, just to make it easier on you.   ;pray

Thank you.
And, nothing is simple around here and it sucks.   [Just hope I don't have problems with the usual store, my MIL went rounds with them over an issue, I wasn't there when it happened, but it was ugly (she's not a liar, so pretty sure it happened about as she described).   I just want to buy feed and go on with my life. :o ]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »
Chanda, Hope your girls pick up soon. Must be hard for you, with ordering specific feeds. I wonder why your having issues with the girls and not the boys ?

Julie , hopefully Spanky picks up quickly. I agree that a good base hay is an absolute must. I couldn't be happier with all my horses this year, big and small. My base hay this year was a Grass and Clover blend. Added alfalfa to feeding throughout winter and "everyone" is looking amazing. The grass has gone "bang" here over the last month so my wallet has gone "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh" :)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
Chanda, Hope your girls pick up soon. Must be hard for you, with ordering specific feeds. I wonder why your having issues with the girls and not the boys ?
The boys tolerate more grazing, the older girls get foot sore if on grass too long, and with the drought this year, the droughty grass was worse for them than our normal grass.   Two of the girls foaled last year, and just never quite recovered as nicely as they have in the past.   Mostly having topline issues, which is protein deficiency (and of course exercise).   [The boys "pasture" got watered, as it's downhill from where Shayne fills the water tanks that are used to fill the sprayer and that we used to haul water to the cows for two months, takes forever to fill, so they always overflow some, thus watering the boys' pasture, well part of it anyway.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »
Hopefully the droughts just about over for you. Where do you ship your cattle too? Is this something you need to have done by the time the snow starts to arrive ?

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2017, 10:19:14 PM »
Hopefully the droughts just about over for you. Where do you ship your cattle too? Is this something you need to have done by the time the snow starts to arrive ?
No, snow or not doesn't matter, they have sales year round, just that the majority of weaned calf sales are in the fall through winter.   We've put the calves on the truck and have a blizzard the next day.
Drought is predicted through the end of the year.  Sure hope it breaks, or we're screwed, the pastures are in rough shape, they really need a good snow cover this winter with a slow melt in the spring, along with some well times spring rains.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2017, 11:15:39 PM »
Well Ive got my fingers and toes crossed for you. :)