Author Topic: feeds and feeding...  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
feeds and feeding...
« on: November 09, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »
Couldn't find a previous topic, but I know feed has been discussed, but perhaps I've seen it in different threads and just not all in one place.

I've been struggling with feeds, largely due to where I live and the choices available to me.
 I've fed Purina in the past, never really cared for it.  Fed Nutrena didn't really care for it (and tried the new Safe Choice Special Care, it didn't go over well with my crew and a sensitive mare got footy on it).   I've fed Progressive Nutrition, love it til it was priced out of my budget.  Fed Woody's, it's a regional feed, loved the senior product, it became unavailable locally (company can be difficult to work with, but good product, just no longer available locally, and I don't want to ship and store a ton, which they do ship to individuals, but it's by the ton).  I've tried feeding oats with vit/min mix, my toplines went to hell.  I fed Running Horse Trail Mix for about 2 years around 2012 (when mares were pregnant the first time, they did well), it became unavailable locally and not easy to get since I had to make a special trip to a different town for it.   I've been feeding Equis feeds, a regional brand, for the last couple years; it's ok, but some aren't doing as well on it and the girls didn't hold up as well nursing as they did previously.   Just found out a couple weeks ago, that WRS has picked up the Running Horse brand; they are located down in Billings (6 hours from here), but deliver monthly to our area, so I'm going to try it again and at least put the foals on the mare/foal formula, Che` on their senior, and try the Trail Mix again on the mares.   The geldings on going to stay on the Equis, as will Topper; as it's available local and I can just buy what I need, when I need it.  [Che` might go back to their senior, but will give the Running Horse senior a good try and see how he does on it; he's gotten picky and not looking as good on the Equis as I think he should. If it doesn't work out, he can go back on the equis senior.]   

I don't remember so many trials and tribulations feeding the saddle horses, but sure have had a run with feeding the minis.  [Perhaps it's partially the lack of choices around here, perhaps I just read too much here on the internet and need to get a life, instead of dwelling here wondering if I'm doing it right now.  Who knows, but perhaps going back to the Running Horse will be the ticket.]
They definitely don't do well with just our hay, they need more than it provides, that's for darn sure. 
  Not consistently, but you can also throw in some hay pellets and beet pulp in the mix.
Guess that's all for now.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: feeds and feeding...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 05:20:19 PM »
I've always used Purina.  I fed their Omolene 300 which is their mare/foal feed for the third trimester for the mares and for 1 year for the youngsters, before changing the young horses to Purina Equine Junior.  I also used their Purina Equine Junior for weight gain on any adult that wasn't really a senior, if their weight dropped. I liked their Senior Feed for my old retirees, as it was easy to digest.  I also used to use their Ultium on my stallions during breeding season, as most of mine were fence runners or pacers and would lose their toplines if they weren't pastured with a lady.  And with 15 stallions here, I didn't use each stallion each year, so had to keep the pacers satisfied in their bachelor herd.

I also used Purina Free Balance 12:12 on pregnant mares, as it contains a VERY high selenium content, which is so critical for healthy foals, and I live in a region with NO natural selenium in the ground.

All horses were fed pure alfalfa hay, and when that wasn't available I fed alfalfa cubes or pellets.  So, they were always getting that boost of protein.

Never had much luck with beet pulp.  Mine hated it, but some people absolutely swear by it.  With mine, they would actually walk away from the food, and it would "rot" in the Florida sun, and stink.  Then, I'd have horses that would drop weight rather than eat it with their food, and they'd try and live just on the alfalfa.  Never worked, so I just ditched it.

Be interested to see what others used.  I tried a Purina "generic" that had a 6% fat content with a 12-14% protein content, and that worked, but then my Purina store discontinued it, so went back to the expensive "name" feeds they carried.  I'm in such a small town, there wasn't much to choose from, just the Purina store and TSC.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 05:37:27 PM »
  I'm in such a small town, there wasn't much to choose from, just the Purina store and TSC.

That's better than my selection.  I'd love it if I had a local TSC; but my "local" TSC is 150 miles one-way.  I tried their Dumor alfalfa pellets last time I made a trip, and Che` really likes them (alfalfa is a good appetite booster for him, so try to "save" it for when he's being picky, since I can't get good pellets locally).
[I can get alfalfa dehy from the elevator, it's their brand alfalfa pellets.  Che` does not like it; but everyone else eats them just fine.   Che` likes the Dumor pellets from TSC, Standlee pellets,  and a regional brand (still 4 hours from here to get them).  Good thing he doesn't each much of them, so I can buy a few bags when I go somewhere and hoard them for when I need htem.]
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
Not sure Ill be much help to you Chanda being so far away, but I very much agree with you , much easier to feed the biggies than the little ones.

My little ones Live on good quality "grass and clover " hay and I also mix in alfalfa hay during winter months. I only hard feed my little ones over a short period during the coldest months. It doesnt snow here , so there is always some pick available on top of the hay/grain they get. They always have access to a mineral block. I have to be very careful in regards to the change in weather here and it often plays a part in what Im feeding. When the sun appears after winter here , the sugar content goes through the roof in the grass , so I have to limit pasture grazing intake to a minimum for a few months until it starts to die off, especially with my laminitic mare.

During the very short period over winter that my little ones are fed grain , I give them a small mixture of alfalfa chaff , Xtra Cool ( no sugar) and a small bran mash is mixed in as a treat every so often.

I try to steer clear of apples and carrots , I find that Pumpkin is alot lower in sugar and puts an amazing "Shine" on their coats.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 07:23:25 PM »
Ryan,
  Thanks.
   Not really looking for answers, as much as discussion.  It's good to know others have found the biggies easier to feed.
  Do you just give them pumpkin rind and all?  Or just the fleshy part?    Now is about the only time of year pumpkins are readily available since it's a fall veggie.   Might have to give it a try with my kids and see if anyone likes it; only a couple liked watermelon.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 07:33:03 PM »
I usually just give them the fleshy part. I had one not so keen on it in the beginning, but they all seems to like it now. 

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »
What are your thoughts on feeding probiotics?   What factors determine if you feed them?
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 03:06:47 PM »
I feed Nutrena Empower Balance. Its a ration balancer. I have little pasture so I feed hay year round. 2 flakes am & 2 flakes pm in the stall.
My minis get 1 cup NEB, 1 cup alfalfa pellets, 2 x daily, am & pm. Kate gets 2 cups NEB, 2 cups alfalfa pellets am & pm. 
In the winter I soak a 3 lb scoop of beet pulp in hot water, by the time it swells its cooled off. I give this in the evenings my horses love it, and i like the added to maintain weight, water consumption, and fiber.
I am a label reader, and found in our area I get the best nutrition from the Empower vs grain feeds without the risk associated with grains, such as excessive weight gain, lamanitis, or having to feed less and not meeting the nutritional needs. Esp with easy keepers.
Legacy is a harder keeper than the girls, so I add 1/2 a cup of Nutrena Empower boost, am & pm. Its a higher fat formula(35-45%?) and can be fed with the balance.
On a side note, The balance has a probiotic added, though after de worming I always give mine a dose of probiotics.( day after) I also add a scoop of sand clear to my ponies diet once a month,as a preventative measure.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
Yes, that sand clear (or straight pysillium granules) is critical here in Florida, too.  Since my horses were on dry lots, I did the pysillium granules to everyone for and entire week a month.
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »
Agree, I also do a week on Pysillium. I have good soil here , which isn't overly sandy , so the same regime as Diane , but every two months here.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »
Dang it, started mixing in the new feed today, and wouldn't you know it, Bliss doesn't like it, she didn't eat her breakfast.   The new feed is extruded and smells a bit like pink bubblegum.  Everyone else that started on it, ate just fine.   I'll try to figure out a way to give her separate feed for a couple days, so she can still eat the old feed and work on getting used to the new feed (perhaps I'll top dress their soaked beetpulp and alfalfa this afternoon).
Delivery guy was here before 8am, surprised the crap out of me, usually they don't make it til late morning or afternoon, since they start their day in town, and I'm an hour from town (any town).
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Ryan

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
Yeah try mixing something in with it. I hope she grows to like it quickly. Its a bit like trying to hide the veggies in kids meals :)

Pink bubblegum :) Sounds like it smells great.

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 05:03:40 PM »
Yeah try mixing something in with it. I hope she grows to like it quickly. Its a bit like trying to hide the veggies in kids meals :)

Pink bubblegum :) Sounds like it smells great.

It's being mixed with the feed she's been eating her whole life, but she sure didn't want that new flavor this morning.  I'll still try a little top dressed on tonight's mush and see what happens.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »
Digging this up again.

Diane, did you soak your alfalfa cubes when you used them?  [I think we've discussed this before, but might as well put it here in the feeding thread.]

Bliss never did like the new feed, so I put her on the easy to get senior feed, which she eats most of the time, but went on strike after I moved Spotty.   I bought some the CoOp's alfalfa dehy (tiny pellets) to mix in her feed, and she loves them; so will probably give her 1/3 alfalfa dehy, 2/3 senior for her meal.
The girls have been on the extruded feed exclusively for over a month now, and seem to be doing well.   I think those that needed to gain weight have (still a bit to go, but feeling better).   
Che` seems to love the new extruded senior feed, and readily eats his meals.
Chanda
HC Minis

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
Chanda that's great news!

I fed alfalfa cubes both ways.  I had ponies that wouldn't touch them soaked and others that really wouldn't eat them dry.  I did watch them when I fed them dry...  I tried to find cubes that weren't so hard (could break into smaller pieces by hand) but that hasn't always been so easy. 

Standlee has done a good job advertising in our area - their products are about all you can get.  But I find both their pellets and their cubes to be harder for our guys to eat UNLESS they are soaked.

Our old stallion would not eat any soaked alfalfa cubes OR Nutrena Safe Choice Sr wet, but would eat Southern States Alfalfa pellets and Sr feed wet or dry his last 60 days... 

All of our ponies both like and do better on Southern States Alfalfa pellets - wet or dry.  They are "softer", more crumbly, than others are (they are also more dusty when you empty the bag or reach the bottom).  They come in 50# bags still and cost less than Standlee's, so that's nice!
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC