Author Topic: Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question  (Read 12024 times)

Offline Suebe

Re: Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2016, 02:22:32 AM »
Also noticed she has cut wayyyyyy back on feed and hay the last two days, before that she was eating nonstop! Does this have any meaning behind it???!

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2016, 09:20:41 AM »
She's just getting full of foal so there is less room for food.  I don't know how close to foaling this happens, and it doesn't happen to all.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »
Agree with Chanda on that one.  Some of ours have days when they don't finish their feed and others when they keep their heads in the feed buckets.

Isn't foal watch fun???

In 2001, we had one mare come out of the pasture to her eating area to eat her feed, leave & find a thicket and drop her foal, then come back and work on finishing eating her feed while we dealt w/ the thicket and getting the foal out.  That was our Arab mare's 3rd foal.  I will have to re-scan a photo (print out on paper) showing him in the thicket... before we moved him.  The actual foaling didn't take long - I was in the barn setting up individual feed buckets for the evening feed and of course missed the actual foaling (I had just delivered 2 foals up at the boarding barn that weren't ours, but missed our own while I was literally "right there".  Also goes to show just how fast a foaling can go).  Chaunter's feed pan was right outside the door of the barn and I missed her leaving - knew something was "up" when I saw her trot back up to her feed pan and went looking.  She did follow our daughters and I back to her baby - the ponies on the other side of the fence that were done eating & already turned back out, were standing right there looking over at the baby.  Compared to our Shetlands, he was HUGE (he wasn't actually all that big for a purebred Arab) & all legs.  Getting him up and out was a very painful experience - I ripped my flannel shirt and skin, too, in several places.  I don't think I've told this story on this forum before...

In 2011, I had Koalah up in the "stalls" under our carport.  We knew we were close.  I also badly needed to clean out those stalls (dog kennel separated into two stalls) - they were very wet from water that had flowed into the carport while getting too much heavy rain for several days before.  She didn't appear to be going to foal RIGHT then, so I lead her up to the barn and tied her in her "old" (previously normal) spot while I was portioning out feed.  I fed the barn ponies first (they were all tied at their buckets) and I believe I stood and watched Koalah for a while.  Didn't seem like anything going on.  Her vulva was big and loose, she had milk (didn't have milk tester yet, sooo...) but not waxing or dripping.  She had started to "drop off" around her tail head but thinking back - she doesn't ever get real loose there until "after" foaling (probably loosens as she's foaling - like some women don't have fully open cervix until baby is pressed right up against it).  She was still wide.  So I set up the next group of pony's feeds and took them outside to feed.  Came back in, checked - still OK.  Went down to the kennel/stalls and started cleaning, took first load out to the bonfire/burn pile, back to finish cleaning - then heard water running and wondered if I'd left the spigot in the barn on, then a loud-ish plop and I took off running.  It didn't even look like she'd taken her head out of her bucket - she foaled standing up.  I did not finish cleaning out the stall - got towels, tied up the placenta, unhooked Koalah's tie, gathered up the still wet filly & Koalah followed me down to the stall.  Then she and I helped dry the filly together and she was colicy and kept laying down while working on passing the placenta...  We dumped shredded paper and wood shavings down on top of the dirty stall - I'd clean it more later.

Yes, I've told this story before.  But it's such a surprise and such a cool story. 

This is a pic of Koalah tied in the barn (different spot) in 2014.  She IS in foal here, but just barely.  She was bred in July (accidental exposure - one cover) and foaled on 5 June 2015.

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »
Great pictures, and I just LOVE the stories!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Suebe

« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
Yes! Love the stories they are quite amazing HAHAHAHAHA! Beautiful pony and her foal! Does anyone know what "Silver City"  meant by "inward eye" I'm so curious :)

Offline Suebe

« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »
Btw Pandora is acting very strange today. She loves going out in her pasture during the day,  I pretty much have to drag her in the barn stall at night just to be safe but today she's refusing to go out and is kicking for belly a lot and does have a more loose manure. Her body shape also looks odd, rear more pointed and she looks long ( I know strange but...lol) and her back more swayed then before. Do these things stick out as a good possibility that we may finally see this baby today

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »
Btw Pandora is acting very strange today. She loves going out in her pasture during the day,  I pretty much have to drag her in the barn stall at night just to be safe but today she's refusing to go out and is kicking for belly a lot and does have a more loose manure. Her body shape also looks odd, rear more pointed and she looks long ( I know strange but...lol) and her back more swayed then before. Do these things stick out as a good possibility that we may finally see this baby today
While I don't know how quickly she'll get there, but it does sound like she's in the home stretch, I'd keep a close eye on her.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2016, 09:38:29 PM »
I agree with Chanda, mine usually get where they want to stay stalled as they get close. That combined with pointy Look means her backside is relaxing more!! Go Pandora!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
By the way... New pics!!
live barn camera link:

Offline Silver City Heritage Farm

• Bye 2020! Hope dog bitya AND door hitya!
    • Silver City Heritage Farmstead
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2016, 10:22:01 PM »
Hi Suebe,  just a quick check in to explain my "inward looking eye" comment.

It isn't easy to explain as it's an expression in the eye. I haven't foaled out enough mares to know if all mares do it, though all our Arabians did. Additionally, I'm unfamiliar with your mare.

What I noticed in your last photo was a certain dreamy, unfocused look. A kind of pensive, preoccupation. As if you went to someone with that same far-off gaze to ask "penny for your thoughts?" In some, they may startle easily while others are grouchy when you disturb them. They seem to be concentrating on an inward assessment of themselves, distracted but not in distress (that comes during actual labor LOL.) It's a certain dreaminess. *shrug* Like I said, difficult to explain.

So, there's an uneducated teacher's lesson in mysticism for today.
Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Specializing in Heritage poultry, vegetables and cut flowers. Miniature horses for the everyday family, until they're ready to move up to the rated shows and programs!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2016, 06:27:36 AM »
ALL are signs she's in the home stretch!  Be an eagle eye today and until that little one arrives!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »
Eeeee it's gonna be very very very soon!!!

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2016, 09:22:58 PM »
OOOOO - are we in the homestretch??? 

GOOO Pandora!!  We are waiting on you.
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Suebe

« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »
Hi <3 Pandora had such a bad night (me too no sleep) foal watch kind of sucks so exhausted. Anyway, she paced a lot all night and peed a flood so I went out early and cleaned gave her new bedding. She's miserable and her rear is jelly pretty much....but yet it all drags on lol but hey we made it to 320 days today!!!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2016, 11:49:41 AM »
Yay for 320!! Sound like she is miserable and thats awesome!! Maybe she will ring in the new year with a new foal for you!!
live barn camera link: