Author Topic: Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question  (Read 11914 times)

Offline Suebe

Re: Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2016, 12:51:09 AM »
I like the one you chose Chandra, only concern is I don't think it has Velcro which I like so much better on babies then hooks and straps

Offline Chanda

• Global Moderator
  • When life hands you scraps, make quilts.
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
I like the one you chose Chandra, only concern is I don't think it has Velcro which I like so much better on babies then hooks and straps
I think they are both a combo, the front is Velcro and the belly is the T tab closure.
Chanda
HC Minis

Stallions: Little Kings Cat on Top, Paper Mache`
Mares: Misty, Tana, Sophia, Bliss, Bonny, Dolly and Baybe
Geldings: Dakota, Monte and Manny, Spotty
Donkey: Tilly

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
YES - my normal MODUS OPERANDI of story telling w/ pics,  ;D

Our first Shetland foal was born in late May in Montana but DID have problems since her first time mama wouldn't let her nurse.  She spent 48 hours in a vet hospital and when she came home, still wasn't thermo-regulating.  Don't know if there were mini folk then who made blankets or not - we had little catalog access then, no local tack places carried small blankets and still no internet on my parent's property 20+ years later.  We used a toddler sweat shirt to keep her warm for about 2 weeks - while she lived in our house overnight and in a hunting/camping trailer during the day.  2 days after she came home, we were hit hard by a late season blizzard and she then wore two sweatshirts - one on front half one on back half and was covered by horse sized saddle blankets during the day while in the camper trailer!

In July 98, the same mare had a colt in late July that also didn't do well.  He, too, wore a toddler sweat shirt during the night - they were in a pen outside and thankfully we didn't have any rain until he was older (he had a hard time for a while in the heat as well - during the day). 

WE used a small arabian blanket for about a week, while in a stall, on our 1/2 arab/shetland foal in January 2000.  He was born in a 3' snowbank in NC - during the afternoon while the mare was turned out.  They were moved two miles up the road to the vet's boarding barn as the mare also had to be treated for a retained placenta.  Believe the blanket was a Schneider's blanket.

The Shetland foal born 2 days after him, in the open but then moved inside our stall, didn't wear one as he was fine.  The snow had already started melting...

and this filly was born in 2004 - right before a good snow.  Here the filly is 2 days old and she's a bit wet on top, but had been stalled in our little stall.  She regulated her temp fine and didn't need a blanket - we did towel dry her when she was wet on top.  Then at 4 days of age, she was moved from here to our new house where again she was kept in a stall in the barn as we were battered by several storms that winter/early spring.  But another pic shown of her out in the snow!

So, in my opinion, while I don't agree with blanketing most of the time (I have a whole page of thoughts on that one, LOL), I believe that it's a good thing to have a blanket on hand for new born foals and DO believe that you'd like any of the blankets posted by Chanda.  In a pinch, a teenager or adult sized sweatshirt CAN work for a larger foal - if you have sewing skills, you take up the bottom with string or elastic, so it's not hanging down...  :)

I have also used this one - on a Shetland foal that was born in September and then was very ill in December/January.  They didn't have mini sizes then, and a friend had this in Arab size.  It was too big, but we tied it up and it worked well enough!

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_foal-blankets/ultraflex-foal-saver/

Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Suebe

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2016, 01:21:01 AM »
Awww paint pony I thoroughly enjoyed your story and photos of your beauties! Precious! I ended up ordering a 42 inch, I hope I'm not off too much ugh but the 36 looked so tiny when I pulled out the measure tape,  hope I didn't screw this up! If so I guess I can always order the other size as well

Offline paintponylvr

• LP Painted Ponys
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2016, 07:50:48 AM »
Not sure how "husky" your Hafflinger foal will be.  I've seen some that needed draft sizes almost from birth and others that wore pony/normal foal sizes at first and arab/cob sizes at maturity.

and THANX  -  :-*
Paula Hoffman
LP Painted Ponys
Cameron, NC

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2016, 10:44:20 AM »
If possible when born could you measure height and length for us for future reference?
So excited for you!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2016, 11:09:23 PM »
How is she coming along Sueb ?

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »
Can't wait to hear...and see her!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Suebe

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »
Hi everyone! :) 297 days today! Can't believe it! Anticipated this since the loss last year, finally so close! Any predictions? Here's her udder today...

Offline Ryan

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2016, 04:43:30 PM »
Looking good :) shes definitely progressing in the right direction.

Her udder will fill a little more and her nipples will separate further and point down.

The only thing Id like to predict, well wish for , is that its a safe arrival :)

I do think that nows the time to keep an extra eye on her. As you know her better than anyone , keep a watch out for any changes to her behavior as it could be a good indication shes getting closer.

Good luck and keep us posted  as often as you can :)

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »
Oh, this udder is looking just fabulous.  As Ryan says, nipples will separate and point down, and her behavior is a good indicator that she's getting close!

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Ryan

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2016, 07:16:03 PM »
Me too  ;pray

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 08:02:09 PM »
I think she's progressing very nicely! Are you going to milk test her as she gets closer?
I am thinking she will go around 320.
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Suebe

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
:)  :) :) thanks everyone! Holly I was kind of thinking how could she go much longer then 320 too, hoping she makes it to that. She's been laying down on her side several times over the last 2 weeks moaning really loud. I had never seen that before in any of our pregnant equines until last year I caught our donkey doing that about 3 weeks before she had her baby. Is it baby position causing it or precontractions which I suppose they get?'