Author Topic: Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question  (Read 11896 times)

Offline Suebe

Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question
« on: November 06, 2016, 12:03:03 PM »
Very excited she's 265 days today! :) she's on 10 cc of regumate a day only as a precaution. She lost a baby last year at 117 days due to what appeared to be an umbilical cord defect. She was flushed, then had 4 days of uterine infused antibiotics, put on hormones and rebred. She's had one beautiful healthy foal about 5 years ago before we purchased her. She's only had two owners so we know her entire history. She is our first full size horse baby born on our property, have had minis :) do you think she's bagging too soon? I text my vet not with photos just telling her she's started and she's not concerned, what do you all think?

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
Re: Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
It seems a little early, but yet some can take up to 6 weeks to fill, which certainly would put it in the ball park as far as timing.  She's still nicely lopsided and baby hasn't dropped -- both are good news.  So, we'll just be waiting and watching with you, and hope she takes her time bringing this little one to ground.   ;pray ;pray
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »
Are you positive on her breed dates? Any way she could be further along?
If not I would watch her closely as premature udder development can indicate placentitis. In order to detect placentitis an ultrasound can be done to check for inflammation in the placenta and if nessasary antibiotics, anti inflammatory meds too.
There are other causes for early udder development, but could also be completely normal. I would watch her close and if she continues to develop contact vet again.
Other than that she looks amazingly beautiful!!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Suebe

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 09:29:31 PM »
Thank you and yes I'm positive of the dates. We hand bred her Feb 11-15 and I'm of course counting from the last breeding date. Wouldn't pllacentitis be highly unlikely as she was flushed prior to breeding and had 4 days of an antibiotic syringes straight into her uterus. Sparkly clean start :)

Offline Suebe

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »
Thank you Diane for the words of wisdom! Aporeciate! What do you think? Wouldn't placentitis be unlikely under the circumstances???

Offline Suebe

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 09:34:43 PM »
My vet said she'll most likely bag up and back down over the next 2 months several times before finally getting there?! Anyone have this experience this early on??? Should I panic and have an ultrasound or just keep an eye, nothing to worry about yet?!

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 09:57:18 PM »
One of the other things that can cause early udder development is fescue grass?  Do you know if you have fescue in the pasture?  If so, you should remove her immediately, as fescue is okay during early pregnancy, but is unsafe in the last trimester.  If you're not sure about the fescue, I would switch her to alfalfa during these last few months.

Placentitis would seem unlikely if she got a clean bill of health for breeding, but I'm happy to know your in contact with the vet.  Certainly wouldn't hurt to ask her opinion about placentitis.

Meanwhile, we'll keep praying she holds this little one for a couple of months!   ;pray ;pray

She is absolutely GORGEOUS by the way!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Suebe

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 11:53:33 PM »
Thank you so much! I've kept her the entire pregnancy so far in a pasture attached to one of our barn stalls where nothing is growing, it's totally boring dirt lol but I didn't want her grazing or eating random plants. Yes I tend to be a bit over protecting and worry for no apparent reason sometimes ;) haha

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 06:14:25 AM »
Actually fescue is more likely to cause a thickened placenta, and lack of an udder.
One would think a clean start would rule out placentitis for sure, however, if she was cover live after antibiotics there is still a risk.
live barn camera link:

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 06:20:45 AM »
Sorry if my reply sounds cold, I just woke up and am still on coffee cup 1😃
live barn camera link:

Offline Suebe

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »
Hahahaha Holly! Me before coffee as well ;) so I text my vet early this mourning just to be safe...here's what she said...she's such a wonderful vet, she's been nothing but amazing! But I'll just keep a watchful eye of course

Offline Rocklone

• Rocklone Miniature Horses
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 01:57:27 PM »
Id not be worried at all either. My yard had a mare i was watching and she had a bag for ages. They went on holiday, cause they KNEW her dates, and i was like noooooo shes bagged up!!!! but sure enough she didn't foal for a good month after lol

Offline Suebe

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 02:47:14 PM »
Thank you Rocklone for sharing that :) I was also thinking that our BLM burrow we adopted was bagged up for about 3 months before she foaled but she's a donkey not sure how they measure up

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »
I wouldnt stress out over it for sure, just continue to watch and IF she starts bagging quickly, contact your vet.
I always like to air on the side of caution, and I have had a placentitis mare, who started bagging , though slightly at 145 days! We started treatment early and were able to maintain pregnancy.
There is no way to determine or rule out placentitis without an US. But as long as she isnt progressing quickly  just keep an eye on things :)
So can we see a picture of baby daddy?
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »
Actually fescue is more likely to cause a thickened placenta, and lack of an udder.
One would think a clean start would rule out placentitis for sure, however, if she was cover live after antibiotics there is still a risk.

Thickened placenta for sure, and retained placenta, and higher risk of dystocia.  But we had 2 mares on the "other forum" who completely "bagged up" months in advance of their due dates, but had no actual milk production.  Babies died in utero, and although there were udders in appearance, there was no actual milk production.