Author Topic: Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question  (Read 12089 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: Hi! Pregnant Haflinger question
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2016, 08:34:14 PM »
I also agree your on the "Home straight" so to speak :)

Offline Anna

« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2016, 04:00:51 AM »
I wouldn't be taking my eyes off her from now on - and dont forget that they can decide to foal during the daytime too!!  Good luck.   ;D

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
    • Castle Rock Miniature Falabellas & American Miniatures
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2016, 09:25:03 AM »
VERY exciting!!  And if you're lucky, she will foal in the daylight!  I never had much luck in that department, mine just seems to like the darkness.  LOL

Praying for a safe and uneventful delivery of a healthy little one!!  And I can't wait!!   ;pray ;pray ;pray

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
I keep looking at her , she just looks so sweet!
live barn camera link:

http://www.marewatchers.com/camera/cam/1258

Sianaminiaturehorses.webs.com

Offline Suebe

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
Oh my gosh so soon! Wow thanks everyone  so much! I'm really excited this is literally our first standard size horse foal and yes Holly she's the sweetest girl, best manners and disposition ever. My daughters favorite show horse. She shows her in hunters & jumpers 3'6. I can't thank you all enough for the support and always good information you all offer <3

Offline Suebe

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »
OK WAXING???????!

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2016, 03:31:42 PM »
That is suspiciously more like wax! Tell you what, ( this will help us better) pull off the wax, and get a good feel for it, see if its sticky. ( and gosh darn it squeeze the teat and see whats in there!!!! LOL)  I see what very much could be wax on the bottom teat in pic. I am anxious to know!!
 Can you get an entire pic of her udder from that angle but further out?, also updated pics of her vulva, also note the color of the inside of her vulva if its dark red/ purpleish and spongy to feel shes close!!
live barn camera link:

Offline Ryan

« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2016, 05:09:25 PM »
I agree that it does look alot more like wax.

And as Anna mentioned , I wouldnt be taking my eyes off her either :)

Cant wait to see the news of the arrival of this little one and Im sending my best wishes it all happens safely  ;pray

Offline Suebe

« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2016, 07:09:43 PM »
Hahahaha Holly! Is there any truth behind breaking the seal and possibly losing colostrum? She's acting a little funny today but yes I'm not even going to leave the house at all, with my luck I'll miss something.

Offline Holly

• Siana Miniature Horses
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2016, 07:48:18 PM »
Yea she looking very good!! As for breaking the seal, loosing colostrum, no, because wax is fluid leaking because of pressure, or contractions, etc. When you milk test, or take a sample to analyse the milk, your not pulling enough out to cause a problem. Most mares continue to produce colostrum for 6-12 hours after foaling. It slowly turns over to milk.
A lot of mares wax, leak drip or stream prior to foaling and still have plenty for foal.  Now if the mare had been streaming for several days prior to foaling, there is a test that can be done to be sure. Called IGG. I know a lot of breeders who do the test on every foal as a precaution. There is also a product on the market called seramune, that's given at birth to be sure foal is protected. It's expensive but well worth keeping on had if needed.
I think your mare is looking great, fingers crossed for a safe foaling!!
live barn camera link:

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »
I did the IGG test on any foal that I had concerns about.  But I did milk test using the "Foal Time" strips which I think are now called the "Maybe Baby" strips sold by Mare Stare.  They only take 1 drop of milk, so no large quantity or interruption of baby's colostrum.

Getting very excited for you!!
'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'

Offline Suebe

« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
There's more and it looks like something was dripping. She's been eating literally non stop
For 2 days

Offline dcwolcott

• Diane Wolcott
  • Administrator
  • Happy to see everyone!
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2016, 09:29:28 PM »
Building up her calories!  It takes a lot out of them when they are trying to maintain their own weight and feed baby!

All looking good!

Offline Suebe

« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2016, 09:35:56 PM »
I can imagine Diane ^-^ would waxing necessarily mean 24-48 hours? I've never actually had a mare wax. All our past births were maidens, we never bred them again and they never waxed

Offline Suebe

« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2016, 09:46:28 PM »
I'm so nervous my vet thinks it's a bit early and is hoping she's waxing up a few weeks early ugh! They tend to be more "book smart" and don't see things outside the box ya know ?!